Looking for a volume/expression pedal

• Thread starter StevenC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a switchable dual mode volume and expression pedal?

I know I could use an expression pedal as a volume pedal with various modelers/multi effects, but I'm specifically looking for something that will do both. I see a lot of pedals that have in/out and exp jacks but none that let you do both and switch between them. Either something with a built in switch or a remote jack would work for me.

Am I missing something, or is this just too niche a market?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
So you're looking to control your volume upon entry or exit of an fx pedal, and also utilize it is the exp pedal into said fx exp jack? I think this is too niche, but you could make it work with the addition of some 'tool' fx box I am sure.
For example I have a blender pedal by T1M (no longer in business) that is controlled by exp in - I presume that with its I>O connection severed or attenuated would then give toe-down volume up function if you patched across its Send>Return.
Pretty simple thing, I am sure Bright Onion or Saturnworks would be able to help with this, and that would then make any exp pedal function as a volume pedal. You'd place this before your exp-controlled fx pedal, and then an AB(or even ABY) box after the expression pedal to decide whether it was going to volume function or control the fx. The AB could certainly be built into the blender box too, basically just a bypass thru switch.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Mission engineering?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
You can do that with the MS-3 and the Boss EV-30 expression pedal.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
So you're looking to control your volume upon entry or exit of an fx pedal, and also utilize it is the exp pedal into said fx exp jack? I think this is too niche, but you could make it work with the addition of some 'tool' fx box I am sure.
For example I have a blender pedal by T1M (no longer in business) that is controlled by exp in - I presume that with its I>O connection severed or attenuated would then give toe-down volume up function if you patched across its Send>Return.
Pretty simple thing, I am sure Bright Onion or Saturnworks would be able to help with this, and that would then make any exp pedal function as a volume pedal. You'd place this before your exp-controlled fx pedal, and then an AB(or even ABY) box after the expression pedal to decide whether it was going to volume function or control the fx. The AB could certainly be built into the blender box too, basically just a bypass thru switch.
The way I see the device is 3 jacks (in, out, exp), and a switch. The switch would bypass the volume circuit and activate the expression mode. So in one position you've got a normal volume pedal with no control over your effects, and in the other you'd have your full volume signal passing through and control of your effects.
Mission engineering?
Checked and couldn't find anything.
You can do that with the MS-3 and the Boss EV-30 expression pedal.
Yeah, as I said, I know I can get an expression pedal to control different things in an effects processor. But this rig has different goals than that.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't a volume pedal and an expression pedal basically the same circuit, just one with an output to an output jack and the other with an output to the ring of the stereo input jack? If so, you should be able to use your favourite volume pedal or expression pedal with a stereo/mono adapter.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
The way I see the device is 3 jacks (in, out, exp), and a switch. The switch would bypass the volume circuit and activate the expression mode. So in one position you've got a normal volume pedal with no control over your effects, and in the other you'd have your full volume signal passing through and control of your effects.

Yup, 3 jacks - I was just thinking of how the exp>vol part would be done with existing 4jack ExpBlender pedals but of course the send>return I mentioned is not necessary if it's just being patched across.
Sounds perfect!

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Isn't a volume pedal and an expression pedal basically the same circuit, just one with an output to an output jack and the other with an output to the ring of the stereo input jack? If so, you should be able to use your favourite volume pedal or expression pedal with a stereo/mono adapter.
This is another possible solution. Can I use a stereo volume pedal like this with a one side being the in/out for my guitar signal and the other being a Y cable?

Though there is a problem with turning off the volume part, so it would have to go in the loop of another pedal. There are plenty of vol/exp pedals out there, but I've never seen anyone use both functions at once.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Yup, 3 jacks - I was just thinking of how the exp>vol part would be done with existing 4jack ExpBlender pedals but of course the send>return I mentioned is not necessary if it's just being patched across.
Sounds perfect!
Yeah, in the simplest terms, I want a volume pedal in front of my amps but also want an expression pedal for my H9000, and I don't think I ever need both at once. Expression pedals are big so this could save floor space.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
If you are handy with a drill, you could drill the holes for a second pot in the same pedal and pulley it to the same tredle, then wire it to a separate stereo jack. That way, you could select the most ideal pot for each.

Latest posts