Looking for suggestions for my bass vi

• Thread starter StefanWest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Definitely need to hear the back story on this because that sounds dope!

Where did you get a 30” conversion neck for it?

As for a good humbucker, the Black Winter and Lundgren M-series pickups stand out as the winners in my mind. I wouldn’t hesitate to throw either one in the bridge position of any baritone.

Other than that, I just ordered an Elysian Hellfire for a 30” scale build I have in progress.

What tuning are you in?

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
Seconding humbucker-sized P90s. Got a guitar with P90s on a whim - a baritone Tele. Now every guitar I have that I tune below B is in the process of me putting P90s put in them. They sound so much better than humbuckers for low tunings imo that I don't even want to use humbuckers for that purpose anymore...

StefanWest

Reaction score
Definitely need to hear the back story on this because that sounds dope!

Where did you get a 30” conversion neck for it?

As for a good humbucker, the Black Winter and Lundgren M-series pickups stand out as the winners in my mind. I wouldn’t hesitate to throw either one in the bridge position of any baritone.

Other than that, I just ordered an Elysian Hellfire for a 30” scale build I have in progress.

What tuning are you in?
I found a guy on ebay DC Kunkle that makes strat and tele pocket conversion necks. 24 fret 30".
I have a lundgren m6, bkp impulse, aftermath, dyad, wolfgang, kse fishman, fishman modern (which is in it now), invader, guitarmory atlas,

I really just wanted it to be in either Drop D or drop G or F# standard.
That's a whole other story with gauges.
I have replaced the meteora tremelo with a Vegatrem ultra.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I found a guy on ebay DC Kunkle that makes strat and tele pocket conversion necks. 24 fret 30".
I have a lundgren m6, bkp impulse, aftermath, dyad, wolfgang, kse fishman, fishman modern (which is in it now), invader, guitarmory atlas,

I really just wanted it to be in either Drop D or drop G or F# standard.
That's a whole other story with gauges.
I have replaced the meteora tremelo with a Vegatrem ultra.
Ah, I always forget the Impulse is an option. Been wanting to try that pickup for a few years now. If you already have that on hand I would throw that in. It was designed for baritones/lower tunings and has been pretty well received by other members here.

That said, what don’t you like about the Fishman Moderns?

StefanWest

Reaction score
I think the fluence moderns are OK but they're like a different take on emgs or blackouts. Just more than one tonal option per pickup. But there's a lot more opinions on those here. Not so many on the impulse.

Last edited:

StefanWest

Reaction score
I know I'm going to get haters for putting an invader bridge in the neck. So I reversed it just to break more rules..

Now I can kiss my chances of getting a serious answer goodbye when it comes to wondering what string gauges to use.

JimboLodisC

black Ibanez plz
Reaction score
anything you'd see used for downtuned metal, I have a Lundgren M6 and a SD Jupiter in my Bass VI builds

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
anything you'd see used for downtuned metal, I have a Lundgren M6 and a SD Jupiter in my Bass VI builds
Not to derail the thread, but how are you liking the Jupiter? I'm about to rewire my S Prestige - it's got 23 year old pots and shit in it - and I'm thinking I'd try something other than the DiMarzio Evo that's been in the bridge since then. Most of my main guitars have a SD Black Winter in them, but I've been looking at the Jupiter. I keep this guitar mainly in Drop C. Thoughts?

StefanWest

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys, but there is almost nothing online at all for bass vi metal content, pickup replacement, or the added application or substitution in place of 7-8 strings.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys, but there is almost nothing online at all for bass vi metal content, pickup replacement, or the added application or substitution in place of 7-8 strings.
I feel this right now. I'm deep in the struggle of replacing pickups in a Gretsch G5260 Baritone. Some people say P90s are a direct fit, others say no. Guess I'll have to get a P90 cover on the cheap and see for myself.

StefanWest

Reaction score
I mean. Loathe showed up and did their thing and then this weird trend started. Personally I've been playing baritones since 2008. Just recently went to 30" after using a 28" rgib6.

I don't understand why manufacturers aren't at least jumping on this.

It would sell.
Ibanez really dropped the ball with the scr6 and scr6ms

What an ugly guitar. The bridges for each is horrendous and the tonal options for pickups is worse.
Of all brands lol.

Dunable is making killer bass vi's.
But fender/Squier? 3 single coils?
Sorry for the rant, but this is why I have to get creative but the market really sucks.
I'm going to have once off the best looking bass vi's out there and all I need is reference and there's little to none.
Especially for humbuckers.
FYI - don't go fluence moderns - leave those for rhythm guitars - not bass vi

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
Yeah, Ibanez has been kinda floundering with the long scale baritone stuff, which is odd considering their forward history with extended range stuff. They do have a 28" six, though, which looks pretty cool. Obviously plenty of 7 and 8 strings, but I don't think they go longer scale than that 28" though.

Squier did a great job with the Paranormal Series Carbonita Baritone Tele - I've got one that I got a dope deal on in like-new condition, and it's crazy good, though I'm replacing the P90s in there with better ones cause the stock P90s are sorta bland imo. It's only 27", but that's more than usable. I usually keep it in F# standard, and it kills. A few upgrades and a new set of pickups and it punches way above its price tag for sure.

Anything lower than F#, though, I prefer 28" or more - the Gretsch is 29 3/4, and I keep it in E1 standard. The pickups aren't bad - definitely usable and pretty good sounding, but I love how P90s sound with low low tuned guitars, so I'm aiming for a set in there. Just trying to figure out the measurements, as they're 'tron style pickups stock.

Last edited:

Bearitone

Reaction score
All Ibanez has to do is make a 6 string version of the M80M (everything the same, just 6 strings instead of 8)

All Fender/Squier has to do is put a humbucker in the bridge position of the Bass VI. There are now literally 3 or 4 companies doing bass VI ripoffs with a Humbucker in the bridge position, just running off with Fender’s customers. Fender doesn’t have to do anything new/modern/unique. Literally just put a Humbucker in a Bass VI. Done.

Schecter actually killed it with the Hellraiser C-VI. They just needed to chill out on the vampire aesthetics.

Last edited:

JimboLodisC

black Ibanez plz
Reaction score
Not to derail the thread, but how are you liking the Jupiter? I'm about to rewire my S Prestige - it's got 23 year old pots and shit in it - and I'm thinking I'd try something other than the DiMarzio Evo that's been in the bridge since then. Most of my main guitars have a SD Black Winter in them, but I've been looking at the Jupiter. I keep this guitar mainly in Drop C. Thoughts?

I'm not one to have an ear for specifics on things like mid-range or low end response but I can say the thing purrs and growls in a very mean way. Really impressed with how it handles F#1 Std and Drop E1.