Looking to satisfy some Soldano GAS, Titan Cobra or Avenger

• Thread starter Necky379
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necky379

Reaction score
I’ve been jonesing for a real deal SLO for a long time. I went to see High on Fire a few nights ago and left with no hearing and a rekindled appreciation for that sound. I’ve been selling off a lot gear that’s been sitting around and just got rid of my plow truck, my pocket is on fire. For the past two nights I’ve spent some time doing research and I’ve come up with a few options. I generally treat ss.org opinions with higher regard than other forums. There are “answers” out there in other places but I want to bring this here and have some members weigh in.

Soldano Avenger
Supposed to be the SLO money channel and nothing else. Different transformers but no non-SLO amps have them anyway. Prices are out of control on the used market compared to what I saw before Mike’s announcement. I can afford one at these prices but it would be right at the limit of my budget. I’m concerned that if I jump on one now the prices will come down and I’ll be kicking myself in the ass for not waiting.

Titan Custom
By all accounts an SLO clone with some tweaks. No idea how that actually translates besides having KT88’s in the power section and a contour knob. A lot of threads are full of amp builder politics when you search the design. None of that concerns me as long as the amp does what I’m looking for. I can’t find any on the used market but the price for a new one seems reasonable.

Framus Cobra
The Titan builder says it’s an SLO copy as well. I’ve heard recordings of them, I LOVE the sound but I realize a lot of engineering takes place during these sessions. From what I can hear, SLO copy must be being used loosely. Very affordable used, I could buy one and not miss the money spent.

SLO clone
There’s a few clones for sale right now. Prices seem a little high but not outrageous. After looking at SLO gut shots I’m concerned that a garage amp builder may not be capable of producing something that clean, I know I couldn’t or else I’d give it a try myself. I’m also concerned that someone may follow an incorrect schematic and produce an amp that doesn’t function the way it was originally designed to. Who knows what components they used, maybe the transformers are garbage, maybe they cut corners or used cheap parts to maximize their profit. That being said, the build doesn’t appear to be extremely complicated and I’d imagine any competent amp builder could pull it off with some level of accuracy if there’s good schematics out there.

The most common answer I’ve read elsewhere is “you can’t have it unless you buy an SLO”. That’s okay, I’m never going to be a professional musician or own a multi million dollar professional studio with big names coming through the doors. I like jamming loud and recording songs for myself and people who are more talented. I can’t afford an SLO but I’m sure I can get close and that’s all I’m looking for as a musical hobbyist. Something above the Jet City offerings and more affordable than buying the Grail will do.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oneblackened

Tube Amp Dork
Reaction score
SLO clone from C3 Amps (you can build it yourself if you can build an amp; it's not that hard, just pay attention to your lead dress. You can even drop the price on the C3 by a couple hundred bucks by using the ClassicTone "100W Project" style output transformer, which is excellent) or the Avenger (which, while slightly different from an SLO, is still a Soldano).

Necky379

Reaction score
Thank you guys, just sent emails to both for more information. I hadn’t heard of either before your posts, much appreciated.

chopeth85

Reaction score
I have a myasnikov superlead ( Slo lead Channel) and its amazing. In fact, i have a wizard mtl preamp clone made by him on the way! Cant wait!!

Necky379

Reaction score
Any idea what he uses for transformers?

Necky379

Reaction score
Answered my own question, in a YouTube clip he responded to the same question saying they are custom built for him by TTX.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
A Framus and a SLO are not at all similar. It'd be like trying to satisfy your SLO cravings with a mini recto.

Maybe a Brit-Tone SLO clone? But honestly you should just wait a few months and see the relaunch of the brand and the SLO 30 they're supposed to come out with. I think they already quoted it being aimed HR25 price or lower.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I have a hard time imagining the Avenger prices will stay up. The original SLO had the no-long-available DeYoung transformers to keep the prices up once production starts with the SLO II. But the Avenger just used Mercury units I think, and there's no real reason or hype why any new version wouldn't be as good.

But who knows.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Ceriatone?

Buy an avenger from canada (assuming you are american) and save 33% on the exchange.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
I’ve owned both a Soldano Hot Rod and Framus Cobra, and I can confirm that they’re nothing alike.

Soldano tone and the Framus Cobra have little in common. It like how the Recto is said to come from an SLO. They’re still not really alike.

The Framus Cobra is ultra stiff and cold, much more so than a Splawn or Pittbull. I could never find the sweet spot with it.

Soldano tone is thick, bullish high gain. I always think of it as a US take on a modded Marshall with 6L6’s. One of the best tones ever!!

Necky379

Reaction score
2k for a C3 build, that seems very reasonable. That would be 380$ less than the Avenger MSRP before production was stopped. Just waiting to hear back from Russia. @oneblackened have you played a C3 SLO before, did it compare well to the real thing?

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
SLO clone from C3 Amps (you can build it yourself if you can build an amp; it's not that hard, just pay attention to your lead dress. You can even drop the price on the C3 by a couple hundred bucks by using the ClassicTone "100W Project" style output transformer, which is excellent) or the Avenger (which, while slightly different from an SLO, is still a Soldano).

SLO Clone +1

But... I recommend the O-Netics OT/PT over the Classic Tone OT/PT. It will sound much closer to the real-deal this way.

The Avenger really doesn't sound much like a SLO... more like a more modern take on the old HotRod 100 amp.

Trainwreck

Reaction score
I have a SLO and the Avenger. They are different but not by much. The Avenger is more compressed and slightly darker where as the SLO is more open and brighter. For the price difference I think the Avenger would work better for you, its a monster of an amp.

I've never played any clones but I've heard nothing but good things about the C3 version. People have been raving about it for years.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I’ve owned both a Soldano Hot Rod and Framus Cobra, and I can confirm that they’re nothing alike.

Soldano tone and the Framus Cobra have little in common. It like how the Recto is said to come from an SLO. They’re still not really alike.

The Framus Cobra is ultra stiff and cold, much more so than a Splawn or Pittbull. I could never find the sweet spot with it.

Soldano tone is thick, bullish high gain. I always think of it as a US take on a modded Marshall with 6L6’s. One of the best tones ever!!
ewww an amp that's dryer and stiffer than a pitbull:barf:

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Having owned an SLO and an SL60 (basically a made-in-Japan HR50), to me the Soldano tone is saturated, thick, and meaty but still with nice top-end bite and aggression if you want it. The only issue that I had was that it's also a bit "brown" or blurred. Sounds awesome to low E and even low B IMHO, but didn't work for me with major down tuning, like a low F#. It just was too slow from note to note. A bit "soft," which was darn near magical for lead playing.

But it's a great sound otherwise.

Necky379

Reaction score
Has there been any news about release dates for those? The C3 looks like my best option but maybe I should just wait it out especially if they’re going to release Avengers at a sub 2k street price. I looked on the Soldano site and he’s saying that updates will be posted on Facebook, I don’t have any social media account so I’m out of the loop. @budda I searched kijiji.ca, Canada Craigslist via search tempest and eBay.ca without finding anything but I’m continuing my search that’s I good idea I didn’t think of, any other places up there I can search online?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
@Necky379 have you checked reverb?

Aren't avengers already out and thus available (somewhat)?

I just checked our national chain - only a lucky 13 head and cab unfortunately.