Lunchbox Amp Shootout With 12 Amps! (Mesa, Laney, EVH, Peavey etc.)

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
If you throw a lower gain tube in V1 the 6505mh does have a pretty good clean channel. I sold mine off cause it seemed to be a toy. Could not hang with my band and cranked the punch was gone. Figured I'd gig with it to save my back but never really trusted it and just used it for a pre and recording.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
If you throw a lower gain tube in V1 the 6505mh does have a pretty good clean channel. I sold mine off cause it seemed to be a toy. Could not hang with my band and cranked the punch was gone. Figured I'd gig with it to save my back but never really trusted it and just used it for a pre and recording.

Yeah, I can understand that, especially with loud music. I don't play live in a band atm so I just need it for recording. It does do a great job with that tbh.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Cool comparison...you made all of the amps sound usable in the band context..that shows that finding the right cab and mic position to do the job is more important, than amp selection. As a listener - all sounded pretty much the same - but that was on shitty porta pros at work. I liked Mesas, PRS MT15, Dual terror, Jim Root terror, both Peavey and Fender 5150 based mini heads probably the most, but when I wasn't watching the video, nothing got my attention like sounding way off..

More important question - as a player, which one did you prefer the most? I can imagine that without the boost some amps were pretty hard to play and on the other hand 5150 III is over saturated, making it too easy and somewhat boring to play, even though it's sounding great. I'm somewhere in the middle - I don't like amps that are too easy to play (5150 III, Engls..), and I like to dig the tone out of the amp, but also I don't like when you need to fight with amp too much to get it sounding right.

I thought they all sounded pretty different from each other but I do get these types of comments more often. Perhaps it's the 'Ola Englund effect' where everything sounds the same because it's the same player with the same guitar going through all the amps?

Which ones did I prefer? This time around I really dug the Mini Recto, Laney IRT, MT15 and Rocker 15/Jim Root (can't choose between the last 2). To be honest, it doesn't matter much to me if an amp is a little 'harder' to play than the other since I'm always more focused on how it sounds. I guess that's why I pay less attention to how it feels. Having said that, they all feel great to play for my taste. Some of them do feel a little stiffer. Like you said, the EVH has so much sustain as well as the Mark V whereas some of the Oranges for example are a little harder to play for really heavy stuff.

4Eyes

Reaction score
I thought they all sounded pretty different from each other but I do get these types of comments more often. Perhaps it's the 'Ola Englund effect' where everything sounds the same because it's the same player with the same guitar going through all the amps?

I wouldn't call it Ola Englund effect - it's a general thing, when "tone is in the fingers" meets "I like when it sounds this way" - so I want to say - you will always sound as you and also as a guitar player you will tend to dial in amps in a certain way and that will influence how you dial in your amp controls, what cab/mic you will choose etc.. and that will result in the effect that no matter the rig, it will always sound the "same", like you

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it Ola Englund effect - it's a general thing, when "tone is in the fingers" meets "I like when it sounds this way" - so I want to say - you will always sound as you and also as a guitar player you will tend to dial in amps in a certain way and that will influence how you dial in your amp controls, what cab/mic you will choose etc.. and that will result in the effect that no matter the rig, it will always sound the "same", like you

Yes of course, it was meant as a joke. But I totally agree with what you said!

BrutalRob

Reaction score
Since you like Lunchbox Amps, check out the Driftwood Mini Nightmare. I got the Purple Nigthmare and love it.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
I haven't tried one. But does it get aggressive in the high mids and treble like a Mark amp? I'm liking bright amps now, but the MT15 seems like an amp I can totally dig.

I will double check and get back to you. I haven't been able to play it much yet but on first impression I would say yes to the treble.

I dial in my amps a certain way and tend to stay away from those kerrang type high mids but I will try to dial in that tone and follow up. I did notice extreme possibilities of treble however, in my opinion.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
I haven't tried one. But does it get aggressive in the high mids and treble like a Mark amp? I'm liking bright amps now, but the MT15 seems like an amp I can totally dig.
So, I may not be the best to ask this but I would say yes.

I owned a JP2C but it was definitely a while ago. I feel the PRS has the same type of treble but again its been a very long time since I had the JP2C. I dont feel comfortable advising anyone about the mids but I will say the Mesa GEQ is absolutely devastating and the PRS cannot even come close to touching that.

At first when I saw this question I thought you meant like a "djent" type of klank klank which I would simply answer no. Stock into the amp you wont get that. Maybe with the right boost but I have only used the amp straight in so far.

One other thing I noticed. I find it odd but I can see some people thinking it just gives more options.

At least on MY MT15 when the lead channel is engaged the clean channel controls intertwine and affect the sound. Everything except the clean channel volume.

Either way if you like the tone its a badass little amp. Im hoping to test it out with a drummer next week.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
So, I may not be the best to ask this but I would say yes.

I owned a JP2C but it was definitely a while ago. I feel the PRS has the same type of treble but again its been a very long time since I had the JP2C. I dont feel comfortable advising anyone about the mids but I will say the Mesa GEQ is absolutely devastating and the PRS cannot even come close to touching that.

At first when I saw this question I thought you meant like a "djent" type of klank klank which I would simply answer no. Stock into the amp you wont get that. Maybe with the right boost but I have only used the amp straight in so far.

One other thing I noticed. I find it odd but I can see some people thinking it just gives more options.

At least on MY MT15 when the lead channel is engaged the clean channel controls intertwine and affect the sound. Everything except the clean channel volume.

Either way if you like the tone its a badass little amp. Im hoping to test it out with a drummer next week.

Thank you for comparing them. For sure, Im not after the djent sound. I am going for aggressive and kinda bright tones but still with the heft on the low mids and bass. Nice to know the MT15 can do this. And I like going straight with no boosts!

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Since you like Lunchbox Amps, check out the Driftwood Mini Nightmare. I got the Purple Nigthmare and love it.

Thanks for the tip! Will do.

Thank you for comparing them. For sure, Im not after the djent sound. I am going for aggressive and kinda bright tones but still with the heft on the low mids and bass. Nice to know the MT15 can do this. And I like going straight with no boosts!

It will sound bright and tight enough but only with the right pickups. A seymour duncan nazgul will probably do a better job at that than an EMG for example. Don't get me wrong, I love EMG's but for an aggressive and thick yet gnarly sound it's hard to beat a duncan.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Good news! I got a used Tiny Terror today in really good shape. The only thing wrong with it is that the pilot light seems to be broken so I ordered a new one from Orange right away.

The amp sounds just as good as I was expecting, I already have a Dual Terror with the TT channel so I knew what I should expect, but yeah, this thing delivers!

I already have plans for a couple of videos... 1. I'm going to do a 'Tiny Terror vs Axe Fx III, Amplitube & Cypress TT15' video. Anyone know of any other modeling platforms that model the Tiny Terror Btw? And 2. A comprehensive shootout of all my Orange amps.... Should be fun!

sharedEQ

Reaction score

I had a 100Watt el84 peavey classic that wasn't very punchy when played above practice level, I can only imagine that these 20watt el84 amps are even worse.

That said, today's solid state has improved to the point where a 100watt solid state amp will have more punch than a 20watt el84.

I don't prefer the el84 sound, I'm wondering if these are just for practice and recording. Hard to justify buying a new micro head when you can get a used full size often for the same price.

I personally think a twin of 6L6s with wattage control is the best of both worlds.

v_BONES_v

Reaction score
Good news! I got a used Tiny Terror today in really good shape. The only thing wrong with it is that the pilot light seems to be broken so I ordered a new one from Orange right away.

The amp sounds just as good as I was expecting, I already have a Dual Terror with the TT channel so I knew what I should expect, but yeah, this thing delivers!

I already have plans for a couple of videos... 1. I'm going to do a 'Tiny Terror vs Axe Fx III, Amplitube & Cypress TT15' video. Anyone know of any other modeling platforms that model the Tiny Terror Btw? And 2. A comprehensive shootout of all my Orange amps.... Should be fun!

I run a stereo set up with two Dark Terrors - but I do not use their preamps, just straight into the power amps through loops. I had tried the Tiny Terror before choosing the Dark Terrors - through a 4x12 with an overdrive in front it sounded amazing, but it limited my options too much because the Tiny does not have an FX loop.

I did try the Dark Terrors in stereo using their own preamps, but it was hard to get good volume that way and with two of them next to eachother there was a nasty interference/feedback from somewhere. So I just use them for their power amps now and they are excellent for that - the lower wattage means you get some real saturation and compression from the power stage - try doing that with a 100 watt plexi style amp!

E-IILegit

Reaction score
I liked the Peavey a lot!
Love the peavey ..every time I hear someone play clean with it they have the pre up too high tho .. the cleans are really good if you set the pre gain to like 1.5 and crank the post to 9 .. I’ve been doing this for a couple years live even and have beautiful cleans... an eq helps a lot too

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Love the peavey ..every time I hear someone play clean with it they have the pre up too high tho .. the cleans are really good if you set the pre gain to like 1.5 and crank the post to 9 .. I’ve been doing this for a couple years live even and have beautiful cleans... an eq helps a lot too

I know what you mean! I just often prefer my cleans to be broken up. With a lot of guitars the bright switch also really helps but with this PRS guitar it was just a bit too bright for my taste. Anyway, the clean channel on that amp is fine!

Paincakes

Reaction score
Hi Jon!
Question: Can the mini recto keep up with a fairly loud drummer, for example in an un-mic'd band practice situation?
Thanks for sharing your vid!
BTW I love your content!

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Hi Jon!
Question: Can the mini recto keep up with a fairly loud drummer, for example in an un-mic'd band practice situation?
Thanks for sharing your vid!
BTW I love your content!

Awesome, thanks!
It's hard for me to give a good answer because I've only used mine in the studio....
Perhaps someone else can chime in?

Karmaic

Reaction score
My mini recto is loud as fuck. I also run it through a 4x12 mesa cab. The master volume is not past noon during a jam session. Wattage isnt nearly as important as a good cab. I could have literally bought any amp head I wanted. I settled on a mini recto. Never can you run a dual or triple recto on all cylinders in a normal gig setting. Youre basically using 20-35 of the tube watts out of the 100+ availabe. Get a mini. Youll love it. People comment how funny that little thing looks sitting on top on my massive cab, but then quickly change their tune when I hit the first power chord and the sound is so gnarly.

This 200w solid state vs 20w Tube is funny. Solid states are still garbage when turned up loud.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Wattage isnt nearly as important as a good cab.

So true. I have been tempted to get a mesa theile to have something small but when i was deciding between 2 cabs I kept a 4x12 over a 2x12 because it just sounded way better.

Cab is a very important piece of the chain. Everything is tbh but you know.