Lundgren M Model series

• Thread starter Atomic Kemper
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Atomic Kemper

Reaction score
What makes this pickup special or unique? Why is it so highly regarded? Particularly, the original M7 reviews/links would be cool. I noticed its very popular and asked about so Id like to hear an updated or current take on it. :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Lundgren M series was just about the first commercially available extended range, boutique pickup that was used by an accessible, major artist. That right there is what built up the Lundgren mythos.

As for the pickup itself, it's bright, aggressive and tight. It's basically an Evo on steroids. It's also surprisingly flexible and warms up well when rolling back the volume. Overall, a good pickup in the right context.

That said, I've tried to really love the M7 and M8 and just never have. I've had them in Universes, RG7s, K7s, JP7s, RG2228s, various Agile 8s and I just don't jive with it. Pickups aren't magic and are but a small part in the signal chain.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Yeah, they have surprisingly nice cleans and do lower gain quite well too. Split nicely also. They are definitely one of the most clear, growly, and cutting pickups you can find.

There are a lot of options out there too now, so a lot of what Max said. I do love mine though.

Alex6534

Reaction score
I have one in my Carvin and it can be very picky with amps. It is super tight, super defined but, in my guitar anyway it can be quite thin. With the right amp it screams though and is quite versatile especially with coil split.

Atomic Kemper

Reaction score
@max
great informative post. I wonder what about if you and the other poster didn't like, was it perhaps too scooped?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I felt I could get pickups just as great, that were more in line with what I wanted for a fraction of the price. I'd never say that Lundgrens are bad, because they aren't, but unless you're looking for EXACTLY what they bring to the table you're better off looking elsewhere.

Dead-Pan

Reaction score
What they bring in spades is great pick attack, clarity and aggression with low notes. Note that the 8 string version is different than the 6 or 7. Less gain etc. I love the 6 and 8 I have but they are different beast for different jobs.

All clips on my soundcloud are M6 and M8.

Atomic Kemper

Reaction score
@dead pan
Thanks dude
Now why is m7 different?

@max
When you say that, can you perhaps say exactly what THaT is that's brought to table in an easy succinct phrase or words? Like I see a lot as dead pan said, the pick attack and clarity and power. Emg 81 and Lace are similar to M7 description so can you say how it's different from these? Thx

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To be more specific, I don't play super ultra tight modern metal or metalcore. I like looser, fatter, harrier tones for my rhythms and nice smooth, vocal like leads. To that end, the M7 and M8 were too percussive and sharp for my rhythm tones and too bright for my ideal leads.

Dead-Pan

Reaction score
True Max, they are very percussive!

I don't have a M7 but from what I've heard they are very similar to the M6 which has a lot of lower harmonics and higher gain. It is the M8 that is different from the others and the reason for this is to maintain clarity with the super low tuning. It does it's job here too!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly, I didn't think the M8 was world's apart from the M7. They had differences of course, but far from night and day.

Atomic Kemper

Reaction score
Great , thanks Max, that clarifies a lot

And also deadpan thx too'

another related question

Why are these "made for low tuning", to cut the clarity, while retaining the tone?
I really think the claims and reviews point to it sounding like the 81 description
why this over the 81?

I am not a very big emg guy, but the 81 is really "THE" metal pickup of 80s and 80-90s metal/rock fusion

I couldn't find another m7 bridge for under $170!!

ProphetOfHatred

Reaction score
Out of all the demos I hear comparing 81's to similar tight passives, the results seem to be completely random. Sometimes the 81 completely destroys whatever it's going against, and sometimes it sounds like .... in comparison. I've played the 81 in personal experience and wasn't very fond of it, it felt weird to play. I think the 81 is mainly just a really good recording pickup.

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
Not to be "that guy", but I'm sure the guitar they were originally made for has a lot to do with their rep. Extra long scale + thinner strings + ash + maple neck-thru would give you more clank and clarity with any pickup.

(edit: derp... m7, not m8)

Atomic Kemper

Reaction score
So do you mean with those spec choices anything would sound similar? In that their rep sold the pup and it's not really as advertised? Thx

Dead-Pan

Reaction score
I have an M6 and Emg 81 in two of the same model guitars. They are similar in a way but the 81 is more compressed with honky mids and less lows, it has less dynamic and less pick attack. This works nice for leads and makes it easier to play. The M series are very unforgiving and dynamic.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Yeah, I somehow forgot to mention that was the other thing I love about them. They're very responsive and dynamic.

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
So do you mean with those spec choices anything would sound similar? In that their rep sold the pup and it's not really as advertised? Thx

No. I mean even a JB would sound snappier and more articulate in that guitar than in a typical 6 string. The guitar (and Meshuggah's style) definitely helped.

guy in latvia

Reaction score
I had the Lundgren M8 in My RG2228, absolutely stellar bridge pickup. I can't imagine anything better for an 8 string, supper snappy and articulate, but as previously mentioned, unforgiving.

Latest posts