Lundgren pickups, Freeway switch, what connects to where?

• Thread starter Liebach
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Liebach

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a pair of Lundgren The One humbuckers and a Lundgren Blues singlecoil (7-string versions, obviously), and I want them connected through a Freeway 5B5-02 switch, without a tone knob.

Freeway provide this very nice diagram:

Screenshot from 2023-07-06 22-47-04.png

Now, the humbuckers have a red, green, white and black wire, plus an un-insulated wire, which I presume is the shield wire in the diagram above. The singlecoil have a white and black wire. All of this bears almost no resemblance to the color codes in the diagram. I did find this overview of humbucker color codes, but it show green, red, yellow, blue for Lundgren pickups. I suppose if I squint my eyes I can make the yellow and blue look white and black, respectively, but I am not sure.

Does anyone know what colors is what?

Both for the humbuckers and the singlecoil.

I also note that the guitarelectronics link above call it north and south, which I interpret as absolute terms (north being towards the neck?), whereas the Freeway diagram use inner and outer coil, which is relative. Is the colorcodes reversed on Lundgren pickups too?

The more I've researched this, the more confused I have become. :confused:

Finally, do I just ignore the tone knob in the diagram, or just solder a wire between the 2 points?

This is my first time working on guitar electronics. I have soldered a dozen computer keyboards before, and the soldering part of the job is easy enough I suppose, although I have mostly soldered on PCBs.

rowsi

Reaction score
For clear information on color codes on your wires you should contact Lundgren directly. If you are unsure what nomenclature corresponds to north/south and inner/outer coil, just ask the Lundgren guys! They'll translate for you. You might even send them the diagram and they can tell you what is what.

Ragarding the tone pot: Just omit the two connections, as you suggested.

Liebach

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ah, well, I did write to Johan Lundgren, and got an autoreply that said he was back from vacation in about a month from now. 🤷‍♂️ So, patience, I guess.

And let me just say Johan Lundgren was extraordinarily helpful and very quick to reply when I had some questions when I bought the pickups, as they were only shown in the 6-string version. Turns out he can make most of his pickups in 7-string versions, even if they're only listed as 6-string on the site, probably 8 or 9-string too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kriff

Reaction score
Did you end up wiring your Free Way switch and the Lundgrens?

BabUShka

Reaction score
Not helpful, but just for information. I recently soldered The One neck and M6 bridge. They both had red, yellow, blue and green wire. I used the Seymour Duncan generator and converted the colors, it did the job. (Vol + Push/pull Tone and 3 way switch)