\m/ First Mic'd Recording \m/

• Thread starter Ryan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
Okay, I'm SO used to using my PODxt for recording. I've tried micing amps before but it always came out sounding like pee pee.

Over the last 2 years or so, I've been learning so much about recording (a lot from ss.org too ;D). So I thought I'd apply what I've learned and try it again. So I worked out a tone I think sounds most like the tone I was trying to acheive with my XT. And to my surprise, it didn't sound half bad! This was kind of inspiring for me. I used my Samson Studio Condenser to mic my Crate BV cab (Birch and v30's). The amp is my Spider II Head with a TS808 in front. The guitar is my UV777PBK with an Evo 7. And a maple bodied early 90's Ibanez EXB445 bass is mixed in for good measure. This isnt my best mix, but it's the start of something new for me, and I thought I'd share it with all of you.

So without further delay, here's a clip of Ancient Spires:
(For comparison with the XT version, see my sig)

[MEDIA]http://www.sunino.us/test.mp3[/MEDIA]

riggness2hn7.jpg

:metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blexican

???
Reaction score
Kickfuckin'ass! Does that Samson connect directly to your PC? I've been lookin' into getting one of those. My Digitech RP-80 just doesn't cut it for me anymore. :(

Ryan

Reaction score
Kickfuckin'ass! Does that Samson connect directly to your PC? I've been lookin' into getting one of those. My Digitech RP-80 just doesn't cut it for me anymore. :(

Yah, there's 2 versions of this condenser. This one is USB in and it has a digital mic pre with phase inversion, low cut, and a gain slider. I usually use it for vox, but after about a year trying 9,543,152,344 different positions in front of my cab, i think i found the sweet spot.

Blexican

???
Reaction score
Cool, that's exactly what I need then. I just got a half-stack that I've been dying to mic up. Would you know anything about the other version? I'm thinkin' about getting the one you bought, though...you got a great sound of that Crate.

Ryan

Reaction score
Yah, crates arent known for being top notch.. But this one at least has decent materials. It was still a bit pricey hehe. The mic was cheap though. I use it for just about anything hehe. I cant bring myself to spend 300-400 bones on a mic when i could slap that on a guitar!

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Heh, the tone sounds very "Rust in Peace" like but with a seven string. Good job on the mic'd tone :metal:

Rev.

Blexican

???
Reaction score
Yeah, I still have a Crate GFX15 layin' around here somewhere, and after switching to my half-stack, I don't plan on going back to it.:noway: Never tried a Crate cab though...How pricey would you say that Samson was, BTW?

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Nice job, Ryan. That sounds very cool!

I'm experimenting with using a weird hybrid setup myself, with a dynamic on my 4x12, a small diaphragm condenser on my 2x12, and a direct signal from my GNX3K, through a tube preamp. I can dial in how much of any tone I want then via my mixer. Kinda cool.

Ryan

Reaction score
That sounds rad man.. It would be neat to switch from one or more tones in the same song for accents and layers too... You should whip out recording for us! :metal:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
That sounds rad man.. It would be neat to switch from one or more tones in the same song for accents and layers too... You should whip out recording for us! :metal:

Hopefully soon, bro. I kind of have to redo my system, as I'm upgrading to Sonar 6 ;) and going with Firewire for my audio and recording. It does give some neat tones, though.

Anyrate, cool stuff, man.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Killer tune, Ryan, as always, you ripped my face off with your brutal riffage. Nice work, it sounds great! :hbang:

Latest posts