Marshall JMP-1

• Thread starter Franko
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Franko

Reaction score
The album "Around the Fur" by Deftones is my favorite metal guitar tone ever.
I really wanna get this thing, and there's a few floating around online for not too expensive.
Please help me (and excuse my ignorance)
I have only ever used amps my whole life. I've never used any rack units or anything.
How can I use the Marshall JMP-1 in a "bedroom setting"
All the youtube tutorials explain how to record with it.
I don't think I can just run this through one of my cabs, right?

any help is appreciated. thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You’d need to run it through the return input on a (preferably) tube amp. Those things are a preamp only, no power. Ideally you’d get a rack mount power amp like the Mesa 20/20, 50/50 or for ultimate badassness, the 2:90. Marshall made poweramps back in the day but I am not familiar with them.

Reaction score
... basically what @DarkstarII said.

A few addons to it. I'm not sure what the outs are from that JMP-1 unit are, but I believe it has an Headphones out or something similar, almost "line level". If so, it can be connected to an audio interface and then use some IR loader plugin to tame the sound and... boom.

Regarding the amplification of this thing, you'll need some sort of power to move a cab's speaker, preferably a guitar power amp. lots of brands to choose from, either tube or solid state, if guitar oriented, you're good to go.

The Marshall power amps are/were big and heavy, but also cheap (in this side of the globe) compared to Mesa's or VHT's/Friette's. Other brands like Synergy and Engl are interesting for power amp options.

I've been using a Mesa 2:fifty for the last 10 years and about a year ago switched to a Synergy Syn5050 (same power, smaller rack footprint). The Synergy does all that the Mesa's do, and a bit more, as it has depth control (besides Presence) AND can be bridged to mono, debuting 100W mono instead of 50W per stereo channel. They both weight about the same.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So I know Stef is known for using the JMP-1, but IIRC Around the Fur was recorded mostly with an ADA MP-1. I don't think he started using JMP-1s until the AtF tour. Just something to keep in mind.

But yeah, you need some kinda power amp to run it. A preamp isn't meant to be ran by itself.

Another alternative would be to get some kind of impulse response loader and use that. Will allow you to use headphones or a FRFR rig without a power amp.

Necky379

Reaction score
Yeah AtF was MP-1

That being said, AmpHub has an excellent JMP-1 sim. Nembrini has an MP-1 sim but I haven’t tried it, I’ve got an MP-1. Sims and decent monitors are tough to beat for bedroom rocking.

Franko

Reaction score
This is very helpful.
So IDEALLY I would want to get a power amp since the JMP-1 does not have that.
But in essence, I should be able to run this through a tube amp and be able to use it and hear all its tones?
Do I have that right?

sonoftheoldnorth

Reaction score
This is very helpful.
But in essence, I should be able to run this through a tube amp and be able to use it and hear all its tones?
Do I have that right?
Yes.

If you run JMP1 or any preamp into a heads loop, you bypass the amp's preamp and go into it's power section (basically making the head operate as a standalone Poweramp would).

I will add, I own the JMP1 and running it direct and then using impulses doesn't sound so great by itself IMO. You lose the additional tonal changes of a good power section.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
You need a power amp of some kind.

They are getting old. Some of the knobs/buttons may be getting finicky or just broken.

I had one and it sounded awesome, but it had to be dialed in strangely, so it may take some time unless you can find some presets by someone else as a starting point.

Good luck!

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
I think you could run the line out from a JMP-1 into an audio interface, and then use it in conjunction with a tube power amp VST plugin like this one by Ignite Amps https://www.kvraudio.com/product/tpa-1-by-ignite-amps. Follow with an IR loader, and you should be able to get a good recorded sound direct without having to run it through a real power amp and load box or whatever.

I had a JMP-1 with a 9100 power amp back in the day, and it was a great rig! Very heavy physically, but most tube power amps that aren't the EL84 ones are heavy. I will say though that unless you're just looking for the authenticity, I think a modeler (specifically thinking of Fractal here) could nail the JMP-1 tones without too much trouble.

To play through a cab you will need a power amp though, preferably a tube one. Any tube power amp should work, just each different kind can impart a bit different character on the sound.

I've been using a Mesa 2:fifty for the last 10 years and about a year ago switched to a Synergy Syn5050 (same power, smaller rack footprint). The Synergy does all that the Mesa's do, and a bit more, as it has depth control (besides Presence) AND can be bridged to mono, debuting 100W mono instead of 50W per stereo channel. They both weight about the same.

Do you have an issue with fan noise? I was looking into getting a Fryette LXII but ended up finding a deal on a 2/50/2. Would potentially still like to get an LXII to save a rack space and have the option for bridging to 100w mono.

Last edited:
Reaction score
(...)

Do you have an issue with fan noise? I was looking into getting a Fryette LXII but ended up finding a deal on a 2/50/2. Would potentially still like to get an LXII to save a rack space and have the option for bridging to 100w mono.
I bought my Synergy used. I don't feel any problem with the fan noise because I'm 90% of the time with headphones and when not with headphones, the 412 that roar the sound will cover the fan noise.

My home rig is the rack and after the poweramp, I'll have 2x Torpedo Captors as middle ground before the audio interface... then headphones. I'm using the Captors' own analogue cab emulation mixed with the preamp's also own analogue cab emulation and these mixed together do deliver a pleasant and functional guitar tone, even to record with... and I'm preferring that to the IR loaded options.

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
SD Power Stage 700 is another option. I was a tube amp diehard for many years, but now prefer to run that.

Franko

Reaction score
This is super awesome and helpful. Thank you so much for this.
Final question to you all, since I associate this preamp with mostly early Deftones and Stef Carpenter.
Will using this unit sway my belief system that the earth is not found, but in fact flat?
Please weigh in..

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't know if your planet will suddenly get flat, but it was also used by Billy Corgan and a slew of hair metal guitarists.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Yeah dude! Iron Maiden and Def Leppard...! That's all I can think of off the top of my head lol. I'm sure there have been several.

Necky379

Reaction score
Stef gave that JMP-1 rig to Wolbers too, I love the tones on that album.

Pretty sure Jerry Horton on Infest
I think ZZ Top at one point

Shask

Reaction score
This is very helpful.
Do I have that right?
Just run it into the effects return of a tube head. That will work just fine.

I think even Steph ran it into a pair of Marshall heads for many years in the early days.

Shask

Reaction score
Stef gave that JMP-1 rig to Wolbers too, I love the tones on that album.

Pretty sure Jerry Horton on Infest
I think ZZ Top at one point
Industrial metal bands like NIN and Filter also used it direct into the board/PA for those harsh tones they got.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll never refer to COW by his actual name again lmao
You werent just abbreivating to COW the whole time, or you found a better one :lol:

Also op’s flat earth joke was *chef’s kiss