Magic the Gathering!

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
Killing with pack rat is METAL!!

Just changed my R/W Gisela commander deck to a monowhite deck. Using Iona Shield of Emeria/Akroma as the commander at the moment. Still swapping a lot of stuff out and figuring out what I want to do with it. Any idea? (Keep it reasonable budget wise plz)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
I used to be super into MTG but I just never have as much time for it now as I once did. Every now and then I still hop on cockatrice and give it a try. I haven't really payed much attention to the new releases after Avacyn Restored. I think that's one of the only thing that kills magic for me is how quickly sets are released. If you really want to keep your deck up to par you have to be constantly dropping money on cards...

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
I used to be super into MTG but I just never have as much time for it now as I once did. Every now and then I still hop on cockatrice and give it a try. I haven't really payed much attention to the new releases after Avacyn Restored. I think that's one of the only thing that kills magic for me is how quickly sets are released. If you really want to keep your deck up to par you have to be constantly dropping money on cards...

Try modern or legacy. its a little more expensive to get into but they don't have any rotating sets or anything. Things just keep getting added and thats it.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Yeah, I play Legacy online against people but I feel like I see the same decks over and over. Elf-mana ramp decks, Smokestack, Goblin-ramps, or things of that sort. Some of those old cards are really expensive too. Every now and then I look up the prices on the old Mox (Mox sapphire, mox opal, etc.) cards to see what they're going for and it's hilarious lol.

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
Legacy is pretty nuts, modern is a bit more diverse I think though but its still expensive.

I love legacy but I hate playing against a "Turn one, you lose GG" type decks. Even though I have a storm deck that can do turn three kills with relative consistency

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Yeah, I feel like those elf decks are just too OP to even try to put up a fight against. Normally there's an Eldrazi out by the 2nd turn, normally Emrakul, and that's pretty much game...

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Let's re-up this thread. Just paid the rest of the $115 to frame this.
24cgmc5.jpg

20hajqf.jpg

2rwvk2p.jpg

makx7m.jpg

2cdir15.jpg

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
So, I'm attempting Standard again. I'd dropped out of it for a bit simply because the Devotion decks are so boring and linear and I've been playing Esper far too long. After seeing Matt Costa's Jund list, though, I'm back. Thing is it's taking basically my whole extra collection to get it together, haha.

Brill

sweet little lolita.
Reaction score
So, I'm attempting Standard again. I'd dropped out of it for a bit simply because the Devotion decks are so boring and linear and I've been playing Esper far too long. After seeing Matt Costa's Jund list, though, I'm back. Thing is it's taking basically my whole extra collection to get it together, haha.

Aren't we all sick of jund too lol? Power house in modern, Legacy, and last standard format...
I'm a big fan of the Kibler B/G midrange/aggro deck, and I like the red in it for some cards, but they seem to just fall to so many other decks. having actual spells is weird in this format.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I've personally been messing with junk splash blue reanimator. Centaur Healer has awesome synergy with rescue from the underworld, and bringing in an ashen rider turn 5 is ridiculous.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Aren't we all sick of jund too lol? Power house in modern, Legacy, and last standard format...
I'm a big fan of the Kibler B/G midrange/aggro deck, and I like the red in it for some cards, but they seem to just fall to so many other decks. having actual spells is weird in this format.

Yeah, but Jund is pretty different this season. No Thragtusk makes things really different. It's a lot of fun and has a good bit of play to it. It's nice to be playing a deck setup to disrupt plans as opposed to one that does nothing but follow the same plan every time.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
I don't know if cracking packs is where you should go about making money unless your doing it as a sort of retailer.

True. You'll have to become a retailer, or know where to get a few cases with a huge discount.

Retailers pay around $60 for a box, consumers more like $75 to $85. On top of that, you'll have to start cracking cases. (1 case = 6 boxes = 216 booster packs) That will guarantee you all the rares x4, and the necessary bomb mythics and foil rares/mythics that you'll need to cover the costs. For a consumer, that's an investment of $450 for each set that comes out.

When you've sold all the hot rares, you'll be at break even or slightly over. All the crap that remains is 100% profit. You will need room in your house for some 40,000 cards though :lol:

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
True. You'll have to become a retailer, or know where to get a few cases with a huge discount.

Retailers pay around $60 for a box, consumers more like $75 to $85. On top of that, you'll have to start cracking cases. (1 case = 6 boxes = 216 booster packs) That will guarantee you all the rares x4, and the necessary bomb mythics and foil rares/mythics that you'll need to cover the costs. For a consumer, that's an investment of $450 for each set that comes out.

When you've sold all the hot rares, you'll be at break even or slightly over. All the crap that remains is 100% profit. You will need room in your house for some 40,000 cards though :lol:

This entire series is amazing. Tells you everything in depth and everything. Extremely in depth about eBay.

Brill

sweet little lolita.
Reaction score
So I've tried my hand at modern. It's a fun little 5 colour meathooks deck (Slivers). I find it quite fun, and quite fast. It kind of functions like Merfolk, with out counterspells, and multi coloured. The lords just overwhelm an Opponent, and make all my guys a formidable threat in the later game, and puts pressure on decks to clear them fast.
The list is:
Lords(16)
Sedge Sliver x 4
Phantasmal Image x 4
Predatory Sliver x 4
Sinew Sliver x 4
Regular Slivers (22)
Two-Headed Sliver x 3
Necrotic Sliver x 3
Striking Sliver x 4
Galerider Sliver x 4
Syphon Sliver x 4
Aether Vial x 4
Land (22)
Cavern Of Souls x 4
Ancient Ziggurat x 4
Mutavault x 3
Urborg, Tomb Of Yawgmoth x 4
Marsh Flats x 2
Godless Shrine x 1
Overgrown Tomb x 1
Sacred Foundry x 1
Watery Grave x 1
Steam vents x 1

It's a really fun and good, only thing I don't like is missing the muscle sliver, and some sort of Shroud or hexproof sliver. It just seems to Be a bit weak. The Sedge Sliver seem to be kinda of both.. the regenerate is reasonable, its why I run 4 Urborgs..
I haven't played against a Blood moon yet, but I'm sure that might kill the deck, I'm thinking of adding the Harmonic Slivers to the sideboard, or maybe even main board.. The Necrotic Sliver doesn't do much, so I might end up taking them out.

What do you people think?

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
Wait a second, four Urborg? Four could be too many, especially with needing to sack one to play another. You should really be fine with fetch lands to get you swamp.

Syphon Sliver doesn't do as much as it should for jamming 4 but I could be wrong and probably am.

Harmonic Slivers are also great sideboard tech. Blood Moon wrecks shit.

Thalia could be tech.

One Urborg for another fetchland? Horizon Canopy maybe?

Dismember/Path to Exile for creature removal if needed for pod and such possibly.

Brill

sweet little lolita.
Reaction score
Wait a second, four Urborg? Four could be too many, especially with needing to sack one to play another. You should really be fine with fetch lands to get you swamp.

Syphon Sliver doesn't do as much as it should for jamming 4 but I could be wrong and probably am.

Harmonic Slivers are also great sideboard tech. Blood Moon wrecks shit.

Thalia could be tech.

One Urborg for another fetchland? Horizon Canopy maybe?

Dismember/Path to Exile for creature removal if needed for pod and such possibly.
I really like the syphons, that being said, I can see myself cutting them down to 3, in favour of something else, maybe another two-headed sliver.
I think it needs more protection, so I might add a main deck Golgari Charm or two.
I thinkCanopy would be good over a 4th urborg. nut idk, I've never had 2 urborgs in my hand and lost.even though its a dead card i can add a mana, and then play another.