Magic the Gathering!

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
Planning on playing in my first Legacy event at the end of the month. I didn't have much to spend and we're allowed 10 proxies (just trying to get people into the format), so this is the list I came to. Tons of fun.

Ha, good times. I used to play Cephalid Breakfast back when it came out in old Extended (with tempest block still legal)
Back then it used Krosan Reclamation to get back Exhume or Reanimate for Sutured Ghoul, which would be a 20+/20+ haste thanks to Dragon Breath. Times changed :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
I take it the objective of that deck is to self-mill your entire deck using Nomads en-Kor and Cephalid Illusionist, getting your Narcomoebas on board in the process. Then you sac the Narcomoebas to flashback Dread Return, resurrecting Angel of Glory's Rise, which in turn resurrects Azami and Laboratory Maniac, which you then tap to win the game given that you have no more cards in deck. Classic Cephalid Breakfast with a modern twist.

You got it. Should be a good time. :agreed:

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Ended up going 2-2 at that Legacy event. Beat burn and some random control deck. Lost to Glimpse Affinity and Nic Fit. The majority of my losses were heavily affected by loose keeps. Still a fun time.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Been having a lot of fun with Cephalid Breakfast. Here's my current list I'm running.

magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1235226

The lack of pricier cards is due to the fact that this is my proxie free play list. If I were to play in another proxie permitted event the Misdirections and shocks would become Forces and duals.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Went 4-0 for 1st place at a Modern Master 2015 tourney. As part of the prize, I got an ROE acrylic deck box that Wizards sent out to stores back in 2010.

635032492377814833.jpg

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
So I bought a singleton pack of Modern Masters 2015 on Friday.

BOOM, Tarmogoyf.

I traded it for a Vendilion Clique and $100 cash, as I'm not really big into modern and V-Clique is more useful in EDH.

Then for my FNM prize pack, I pulled a Den Protector. Did pretty good on Friday.

pink freud

Reaction score
So I bought a singleton pack of Modern Masters 2015 on Friday.

BOOM, Tarmogoyf.

I traded it for a Vendilion Clique and $100 cash, as I'm not really big into modern and V-Clique is more useful in EDH.

Then for my FNM prize pack, I pulled a Den Protector. Did pretty good on Friday.

Nice. I splurged and bought ten packs for $100. Pulled Emrakul, Clique, Iona and Cryptic Command so I definitely made my money back. Already traded the Clique away for a couple of Entombs (one day I'll get that Legacy Reanimator deck built).

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Nice. That's what I'm working on right now. I have a TCGPlayer shopping cart open right now trying to decide if I'm gonna buy my last two Entombs right now. Then all I'd need is the big money cards (Forces and Duals). Then again, I might shift to Tin Fins and just say eff the Forces as well, haha.

FretsOnFyre

SSO's sociopath
Reaction score
Been lurking on this thread for a while now, figured I'd jump in with a post. I've been playing about three months (considerably less than most of you) and over the last few days I've been throwing together a Standard deck. It's UBR and EXTREME budget (read: mostly using cards out of a DTK Fat Pack and a few M15; it would cost $22 of which $7 is Kolaghan's Command :lol:). I found an interesting synergy with Gurmag Drowner and Dutiful Attendant, self-milling and reanimating the few fatties I have in the deck, and I load up on burn spells for red. I've playtested online and it's definitely a slow, grindy deck. This deck isn't going to win anything serious, but I'd appreciate any feedback!

2x Anticipate
1x Cone of Flame
1x Crater Elemental
1x Divination
1x Duress
3x Dutiful Attendant
1x Evolving Wilds
1x Flatten
2x Flesh to Dust
1x Foul-Tongue Invocation
2x Gravepurge
4x Gurmag Drowner
6x Island
1x Jace's Ingenuity
1x Kolaghan's Command
2x Lava Axe
2x Lightning Strike
1x Mind Rot
8x Mountain
1x Rakshasa Gravecaller
2x Seismic Strike
1x Sengir Vampire
1x Shivan Dragon
1x Sign in Blood
10x Swamp
2x Twin Bolt
3x Typhoid Rats
1x Ukud Cobra

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
I'd help you out, but I don't know anything about Standard right now. :/

Playing in another small Legacy event tomorrow and probably playing this Tin Fins build. Only proxies are Underground Seas.

Attachments

• Tin Fins.jpg
    Tin Fins.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 18

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Forgot to say so, but I *loved* that article, as did many of my friends.

I rebuilt Karador today. Been a few weeks since I played EDH so it was gratifying that the deck slayed in a triple Abzan reanimator match with me running Karador and two opponents running Teneb. Here's the list, it was quite effective.

General (1):
- Karador, Ghost Chieftain

Planeswalkers (1):
- Liliana of the Veil

Creatures (33):
- Acidic Slime
- Ashen Rider
- Bane of the Living
- Bloodgift Demon
- Den Protector
- Disciple of Bolas
- Eternal Witness
- Golgari Grave-Troll
- Grave Titan
- Harvester of Souls
- Hornet Queen
- Karmic Guide
- Mangara of Corondor
- Masked Admirers
- Massacre Wurm
- Necrotic Sliver
- Pack Rat
- Reveillark
- Rune-Scarred Demon
- Saffi Eriksdotter
- Sakura-Tribe Elder
- Satyr Wayfinder
- Scavenging Ooze
- Sepulchral Primordial
- Shadowborn Demon
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier
- Solemn Simulacrum
- Sun Titan
- Teneb, the Harvester
- Teysa, Orzhov Scion
- Viscera Seer
- Wood Elves
- Yosei, the Morning Star

Artifacts (6):
- Altar of Dementia
- Birthing Pod
- Bonehoard
- Chromatic Lantern
- Phyrexian Altar
- Sol Ring

Enchantments (2):
- Phyrexian Arena
- Survival of the Fittest

Instants (7):
- Entomb
- Grisly Salvage
- Momentous Fall
- Mortify
- Putrefy
- Swords to Plowshares
- Utter End

Sorceries (13):
- Buried Alive
- Cultivate
- Decree of Pain
- Farseek
- Increasing Ambition
- Life from the Loam
- Living Death
- Maelstrom Pulse
- Mulch
- Skyshroud Claim
- Unburial Rites
- Victimize
- Yawgmoth's Will

Non-Basic Lands (23):
- Command Tower
- Murmuring Bosk
- Sandsteppe Citadel
- Godless Shrine
- Overgrown Tomb
- Temple Garden
- Isolated Chapel
- Sunpetal Grove
- Woodland Cemetery
- Marsh Flats
- Windswept Heath
- Temple of Malady
- Temple of Plenty
- Caves of Koilos
- Llanowar Wastes
- Barren Moor
- Secluded Steppe
- Tranquil Thicket
- Bojuka Bog
- Bant Panorama
- Grim Backwoods
- Svogthos, the Restless Tomb
- Vault of the Archangel

Basic Lands (14):
- Forest x 5
- Plains x 2
- Swamp x 7

The all-stars tonight were Massacre Wurm, Pack Rat, Satyr Wayfinder, Sun Titan and Altar of Dementia. Then I finished off the game with some Reveillark + Karmic Guide shenanigans. Once I'd killed one opponent with combat damage, I nuked the other one by exiling all his creatures and destroying all his other permanents. Pack Rat got me an army while filling my yard to enable Karador, and Massacre Wurm did some heavy lifting when opponents got out their token armies to play defense.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
I went to an FNM event, modern format. I basically built a classic legacy Eva Green deck without Dark Ritual and Hymn to Tourach.

I had this interesting conversation:

" What's that?"
" Are you kidding me? I'm casting Hypnotic Specter."
" Is that Modern Legal?"
" It was printed in Alpha to 4th, 9th, and M10, so yes."
" What does it do? (It was 4th edition black bordered in Japanese)"
Explanation follows
" Okay."
I pass the turn.

Next turn, I attack with the Specter.
"I'm changing it's target to Spellskite"
"You just paid two life, but it's not targeted, and your spellskite is not a player, cannot discard at random, so it's not even a legal target"
:wallbash::lol:

When I got home I looked at the original decklist, it was from 2008. Most of my opponents were 13 then :lol: There's so many classics that are still modern legal, but everyone is looking at popular decks on the internet that are built by young players.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
^Dude was a newb.

Also, BFZ is fully spoiled. So far, the eldrazi ("UBRG") vs. Allies (WUbRG), the elementals (RG) and the land itself (WUB) looks like a weird, but flavorful limited environment.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Next turn, I attack with the Specter.
"I'm changing it's target to Spellskite"
"You just paid two life, but it's not targeted, and your spellskite is not a player, cannot discard at random, so it's not even a legal target"
:wallbash::lol:.

Dafuq. :lol:

(Although technically he couldn't have paid the life, as he couldn't activate the ability without a target.)

Disassembled my Kresh and Jenara EDH decks over the weekend. Jenara became standard issue Rafiq of the Many, because sometimes you just have to attack. Meanwhile, I also built Damia Sultai Superfriends. Looking forward to trying them out.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
Dafuq. :lol:

(Although technically he couldn't have paid the life, as he couldn't activate the ability without a target.)

Disassembled my Kresh and Jenara EDH decks over the weekend. Jenara became standard issue Rafiq of the Many, because sometimes you just have to attack. Meanwhile, I also built Damia Sultai Superfriends. Looking forward to trying them out.

Nice! I did the same last year, swap Jenara for Rafiq. The nonland cards are 1/3 mana acceleration with cmc <2 so you can have him out on turn 3, and 1/3 equipment that you can equip on turn 4. So cmc + equip cost must be 4 or less. The rest is stuff to protect rafiq (blink, redirect, protection) or other creatures that work well with equipment. Sometimes he can swing for lethal general damage on turn 4, and consistently on turn 5.

I don't understand why hypnotic specter isn't played at all in Modern. It's wrecking combo and tron and still one of the best black 3 drops, even without dark ritual.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Probably because it's incredibly weak to burn and midrange, owing to the fact that a) it does nothing the turn it comes down, and b) it's a 2/2 for 3 mana with no ability to affect the board. Not a great rate for a creature. Plus, the random discard only beats targeted discard when it's done in multiples, a la Hymn to Tourach or Mind Twist. Otherwise you're not generating any card advantage, while leaving open the chance that they may discard something they don't actually need.

Last edited: