Mark Holcomb's Axe FX Presets

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
It's legit, but I heard that the guys from fractal are trying to get Mark, Jake and Nolly to post some patches for FW18 like Misha did. So might be best to hold off unless you don't mind spending the money.

Sheet Happens publishes guitar music books. Owned and operated by Luke Hoskin and Tim Millar from the Canadian band Protest the Hero.

Der JD

Reaction score
With the Axe Fx, the vast majority of time presets created by other people are going to sound like garbage. When I had the Axe, I never had any luck with others' presets, including "artist" presets.

The gear they used both before and after the Axe Fx unit will be totally different than what you're using. Absolutely will not sound the same on different gear.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
With the Axe Fx, the vast majority of time presets created by other people are going to sound like garbage. When I had the Axe, I never had any luck with others' presets, including "artist" presets.

The gear they used both before and after the Axe Fx unit will be totally different than what you're using. Absolutely will not sound the same on different gear.

I agree with this, though I experience it with all modelers I've used. Other people's patches don't translate well for me because of all the differences in the gear used. Different hands, different guitar, different amplification, different room, etc.

And on top of that, if these are the patches from 'clear,' they will be from before Firmware 18 was released. There were some major improvements in FW18, and they will sound different than on previous firmwares. Personally I started fresh with all new patches on 18.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score

yup, my experience too.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
They sound cool, but presets are just that, presets. There's only one patch that I even remotely still use from a preset because it was a good base to build upon. Paying for presets is a very dumb thing unless it's something like an album package which includes album tones exactly as they were used. Especially considering that the tones already exist in your unit, you're just paying for specific settings that someone else used.

If you buy this package buy it because you want the tabs, see the patches as an extra little tidbit.

giwrgos02

Reaction score
charging for patches

lol.

You're paying for the transcription of the song - the patches are a perk.

^ Exactly :yesway:

Jason Richardson has a tone package for like $40 I think, album tones I think if I remember correctly.

Many people have tonepacks. And as I see it, you are not only supporting them when you buy it, but you are also buying a product that some people spend many hours making it.

I'm not saying it's reasonable to buy a tonepack that costs 40 or 60$. But, imo 5$ is worth it.

giwrgos02

Reaction score
They sound cool, but presets are just that, presets. There's only one patch that I even remotely still use from a preset because it was a good base to build upon. Paying for presets is a very dumb thing unless it's something like an album package which includes album tones exactly as they were used. Especially considering that the tones already exist in your unit, you're just paying for specific settings that someone else used.

If you buy this package buy it because you want the tabs, see the patches as an extra little tidbit.

I bought it for both of the things you mentioned and also because I want to support Mark for all the great music he has been writing and sharing with us.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
Paying money for someone else's settings? Cool! F_ck making your own tones when you can imitate someone else, amirite

giwrgos02

Reaction score
Paying money for someone else's settings? Cool! F_ck making your own tones when you can imitate someone else, amirite

Wow. Sounds like you are mad, you sad dude that insult people behind your screen, without even having a reason.

giwrgos02

Reaction score
so ironic.

ironic? huh. I don't like it when people behave like this.

I really liked this community so far. Because everyone shared his opinion and experience with a nice attitude and we all had great conversations and learned from each other. And that's the forum's purpose too. Not to come in a thread, insult people for no reason and then leave. That's a sad thing to do. He is sad. And I don't think I am misbehaving when I call him like that, after his post.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
I'm not sad, I'm just wondering why people are shelling out money to have someone else's settings. You have an Axe FX, a device that is capable of conjuring up thousands of tone patches or whatever else you want. The experimentation parameters are through the roof, and you can dial in your own tone that you have crafted from the ground up, and utilize it to your fullest benefit.

Why use a $2000+ unit to imitate someone else? I don't understand that mentality.