Mastering Programs?

• Thread starter amongor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

amongor

Reaction score
So Ive finally gotten around to putting together a mix to show on here, but Im having the whole "my bounced file is at a ridiculously lower volume than other songs in my iTunes"... so I need a mastering program yes?

Got a free trial of Massey Plugins L2007, which is doing exactly what I want it to do, but still not getting it up to quite a high enough level. Any suggestions for mastering programs? I would like to keep to the free side of things if possible...

Cheers

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
You don't need a mastering program, you just need to find out how to master. It uses just the same techniques you use in mixing (compression, limiting) for the volume.
Look into mastering compression and limiting. There is no reason you cannot apply these to the master channel of your mix, or import your stereo mix into your DAW and do it in a new project.
Sounds like that is a Massey Limiter - you just need to learn how to get the level you want. It depends a lot on the mix itself. I don't know the plugin but most limiters will allow you to push as hard as you want. But the worse the mix is, the less loud you can go before the mastering starts sounding bad, I've found. It's largely about good compression and peak control during the mix.

92guitarguy

Reaction score
You really don't need a mastering program. For me a multiband-compressor, an EQ and a maximizer do the job perfectly well. :)

I use the EQ from FL Studio and these two free vsts:
ARADAZ VST FREE: FREE MAXIMIZER VST
KVR: ReaXcomp by Cockos - Details

Search for some tutorials on how to use these effects on here and you'll be able to get some decent sounds. Atleast for me it worked ;)

Cheers

The Uncreator

Control The Sun
Reaction score
You shouldn't worry about volume too much, people have volume controls on all there media devices. That being said, commercial volume is hard to obtain with plug-ins while retaining the dynamics of the mix, and often times I find commercial volume to be distasteful, and bad musically.

For a full suite you can check out iZotope Ozone 5, True you do not need a full suite, you can replicate it with EQ, compression, and limiting. But I prefer Ozone 5 because of the quality of its EQ, and its features in its limiters which allow for soft, controlled limiting.

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
If you plan on mastering your own music, in my opinion you only really need a maximizer/limiter to push it a bit closer to commercial volume, because everything else (compression, eq) can be fixed in the mix anyway.

In fact plugins like Ozone are just a collection of everything you might need, but there's no such thing as a "mastering plugin" that instantly gives you the result you need. Something that really helps is a clipper (like gclip) to tame the transients of the individual drums, also I got used to high pass everything but the kick drum and bass because sometimes there's some unhearable noise in the very low range that kills your headroom.

EthanC

MMO Developer
Reaction score
I've spent a lot of time (years) honing skills at mastering metal, especially detuned and as I'm sure everyone will tell you there is no "mastering button" via any one program that will do it all.

That said, seeing as you need a combination of several mastering tools to really make it work, I recommend either T-Racks or Izotope Ozone because they both contain most of the tools you'll need in the chain already, and quite clean as well.

I am by no means saying I'm an expert but if you'd like to hear what Ozone 4 can do for you feel free to listen to my latest recording because that's what I used to master it: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/recording-studio/200925-community-input-my-song.html

fwd0120

Bipedal Hominid
Reaction score
Yep, pretty much what everybody here is saying.

I would recommend if you are on a tight budget, the Stillwell plugins are nice, in fact, they are kinda free (the same policy as Reaper, actually).
In the more moderate price bracket, EZMix by toontrack can do a pretty decent job for demos, as long as you know what you're doing. EZMix also has a lot of other wonderful features... jack of all trades, basically.
Of course, Izotope ozOne is my favorite, but that is kinda pricey. Waves also is supposed to be high quality and somewhat of an industry standard, however I haven't actually used them.