Mastodon Megathread

KnightBrolaire

friendly neighborhood pickup tester
Reaction score
^ Agreed, am I mental for thinking that there isn't one filler track? It's one of the very few albums of late I can listen all the way through without getting bored at all. 9/10 still. Easily stands shoulder to shoulder with their best albums, maybe I'm mental

No I totally agree, it's on par with leviathan or blood mountain for me as far as replayability.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
^ Agreed, am I mental for thinking that there isn't one filler track? It's one of the very few albums of late I can listen all the way through without getting bored at all. 9/10 still. Easily stands shoulder to shoulder with their best albums, maybe I'm mental

I agree, and I'm never been much of a Mastodon fan aside from a few stellar songs. This album, though, whoa. Amazing!

wankerness

Reaction score
I finally listened to this. After a couple listens, I'm not entirely sure what to think. It's a lot more high-energy all the way through, and I like all the songs, but there also aren't really any songs that stand up with the best of their material, besides MAYBE scorpion breath. Like, there aren't really any of those awesome banjo-style riffs like on Quintessence or Bedazzled Fingernails. I'll have to give it some closer listens. I like the whole thing, I think it's more consistently good than the last couple, but the peaks seemed lower!

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I listened to it again start to finish today and it's really growing on me. I think Steambreather may still be my favourite track. That chorus is just so goddamned catchy.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score

Not crazy at all. This album is pretty amazing.

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
Yep, I'm probably in the 25-ish listens range now and it's still up there with the big three (Leviathan, BM, CtS).

I wish that bit at the end of Scorpion Breath (the riff that sounds chicken picked) was longer though, absolutely badass. Pretty unparalleled for a band to be nearly 20 years old and knock out stuff of this quality!

Dredg

Insignificant
Reaction score
Just saw Mastodon on 5/20

Killer show. Not a lot of stage presence, not a lot needed.

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
I had a ticket to see these guys in Philly, but sadly I had to miss the show. They're still one of my all-time favorites, so bleh.

As for this album, I admittedly haven't listened to it in around a month. I don't hate it or feel betrayed like some long-time fans, but it just doesn't grip me like their 2000's output. Oh well...sometimes bands and fans just grow apart.

Dredg

Insignificant
Reaction score
I had a ticket to see these guys in Philly, but sadly I had to miss the show. They're still one of my all-time favorites, so bleh.

As for this album, I admittedly haven't listened to it in around a month. I don't hate it or feel betrayed like some long-time fans, but it just doesn't grip me like their 2000's output. Oh well...sometimes bands and fans just grow apart.
Definitely a more radio friendly endeavor, but then again I'm ok with their new stuff. Great metal to relax to.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score

Saw this song pop up on Spotify the other day and looked into it a bit more. Pretty cool story behind it. Full article here:
https://loudwire.com/mastodon-brann-dailor-stairway-nick-john-crack-the-skye-2020-album/

TL;DR version: Their manager, Nick John, died last year after a battle with cancer. Mastodon was asked to play at his funeral and decided to play Stairway to Heaven, and while they were playing the song, Joe from Gojira was recording it on his phone and later told them that it sounded great. They decided to record it and release it on Record Store Day to commemorate Nick's favourite holiday and have his face in every record store across the country, which is super cool in my books.

Also, as far as covering Stairway itself, they even acknowledge how preposterous it is to do a recorded cover of that song because of how huge it is, but damnit I think they pulled it off extremely well.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
Mastodon is one of the few bands that can decide to cover Zeppelin and get away with it. Sounds amazing!

wankerness

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Crack the Skye tour yet? Or has that even started :p

It’s BY FAR my favorite album of theirs, and if the show is great I might make a long drive to see it. Unfortunately they have two dates in Wisconsin, and both of them are in the middle of hick rock fests that have a 100 dollar or so entry fee on top of the individual band ticket, and I have zero interest in the other 25 or so bands on the bill. The next closest is four hours away in Minneapolis, but I might be able to justify that one!

wankerness

Reaction score
Bumpity bump. Curious about tour reports ASAP before I start trying to make plans to go to Minneapolis. :D Looks like it starts today? I haven't heard Coheed and Cambria since that Come With Me-sounding song that was in Rock Band.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Coheed and Cambria is a good live show, and I'm far from a fan of theirs. I'd go.

Crack the Skye and Remission are my two favorite albums of theirs, so I like their dynamic change in sound nearly as much as their monstrous pummel-storm from early on. I was less than enthused by everything since Crack the Skye, but I did thoroughly enjoy Emperor of Sand. I'm motivated to listen again and let that one marinate a little.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I have tickets for the Brooklyn show on Friday, should be a rad time; I saw Mastodon outdoors last April up in Maine, and they were back in form for that, so seeing them do CtS start to finish should be pretty crazy.

wankerness

Reaction score
I have tickets for the Brooklyn show on Friday, should be a rad time; I saw Mastodon outdoors last April up in Maine, and they were back in form for that, so seeing them do CtS start to finish should be pretty crazy.

Awesome, let us know how it is! The venue in Minneapolis is huge so I'm not very scared of a sell-out, so I'm putting off buying until I know I can drag someone else with me cause I don't really like driving for multiple four hour stretches by myself. If it's REALLY great, though, I will probably just go regardless of whether I'm alone!