Maxon ST9pro+

• Thread starter ezboarderz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am currently rethinking the overdrives that I am running and I was curious about the ST9pro+ overdrive that cannibal corpse and other bands have popularized. I currently have a ts9 on my board and I am thinking about replacing it with a ST9pro+, but can this also do the ts9 tones as well or is this its own thing? I currently use the ts9 like most of you guys do, with the drive at 0, level at max, and tone roughly 12 o clock - 3 o clock.

If it can do the ts9 thing, then it would be an interesting overdrive to replace my ts9.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
Supposedly it does the TS style and more, I have one and a TS. I have never bothered to try the TS out much because I prefer my other boosters. So I can't offer a good comparison. I can say that the pro plus does thick heavy tones very well, anytime I want a really saturated Corpse type tone, I go for it or my Swollen Pickle.

Bearitone

Reaction score
No experience but I hear nothing but good things about the ST9 Pro+

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A used st9pro+ popped up last week and bought it and I can say it can sound exactly like a ts9 with the mid enhance pot set to 9 o clock and the bass boost mode is off.

I must say that the bass boost on this thing is awesome and raising the mid enchanted knob to like 10.00-11.00 gives some quite nice results. It’s nice to have more control over where that mid hump is.

Necky379

Reaction score
So the mid knob doesn’t add mids it controls what frequency the hump is at?

owlexifry

Reaction score
Yeah exactly. That’s what I am hearing at least.
this is correct.

the mid control knob selects the mid frequency to be boosted - this is immediately before the clipping stage, just after the input buffer.

imo the ST-9pro+ (and the ibanez / maxon ST-9 / ST-01 / STL predecessors) is the absolute best overdrive for high gain boosting.

before i bought an ST-9pro+, i built a clone of the ST-9 to see if i’d like it.
fucken loved it.

ST-01 v SD-1 v OD808 v precision drive (clone, no gate)

here’s the ST9pro+ against some others for comparison

Last edited:

Shask

Reaction score
this is correct.

the mid control knob selects the mid frequency to be boosted - this is immediately before the clipping stage, just after the input buffer.

imo the ST-9pro+ (and the ibanez / maxon ST-9 / ST-01 / STL predecessors) is the absolute best overdrive for high gain boosting.
That sounds like how my VFE Ice Scream clone works. That is one of my favorite boost pedals :)

owlexifry

Reaction score
That sounds like how my VFE Ice Scream clone works. That is one of my favorite boost pedals :)
makes sense, the VFE ice cream is basically an ST-9 with mods (the added hicut + locut controls)

and there's even a board available to build one (it's on my list):

Shask

Reaction score
makes sense, the VFE ice cream is basically an ST-9 with mods (the added hicut + locut controls)

and there's even a board available to build one (it's on my list):
Yeah, that is the one I built. It is one of my favorite boosters, of the many I have built.

Shask

Reaction score
fuck yeah 🤟🏻

got any other favourites ?
I have built so many, that I forget, lol. It depends on what you are looking for. I really like that Frost Drive, and the Seymour Duncan 805 clone. The Green Rhino Mk II clone (I have a real one also), BYOC Green Pony, the Isosceles boost, which is a 33/Int Pre clone, the Buxom Boost clone, Episode Boost, the Klon clone, the Rat clone, BYOC Parametric EQ can be a good boost, The Naga Viper clone, etc....

I think I have built around 90 pedals, so I have all kinds of stuff, lol.

owlexifry

Reaction score
I think I have built around 90 pedals, so I have all kinds of stuff, lol.
holy shit.
i slowed down after about 10 or so overdrives.
after you have that ‘omg they’re all the same’ moment, it got a little less exciting
(then i fell into the modulation rabbit hole and started having more fun)

Shask

Reaction score
holy shit.
after you have that ‘omg they’re all the same’ moment, it got a little less exciting
Yeah, did a lot of BBD modulations, delays, envelope filters, etc... even got into soldering surface mount FV-1 chips for multi effects. Lots of cool stuff.

Shask

Reaction score
holy shit.
Pedal Shelf Small 2.jpg

Here is a picture I took awhile back of my shelves I put the pedals I built on. I got more than this though, and have made more since.

I haven't built many lately though, because I ran out of things that I find interesting, lol. It is a fun hobby. I just like building them, but not sure what I will do with them all one day. It is a fun way to try things I would never buy though.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
View attachment 140807

Here is a picture I took awhile back of my shelves I put the pedals I built on. I got more than this though, and have made more since.

I haven't built many lately though, because I ran out of things that I find interesting, lol. It is a fun hobby. I just like building them, but not sure what I will do with them all one day. It is a fun way to try things I would never buy though.
That’s awesome. How detailed are the kits? I have a soldering iron and I have redone the electronics for a few of my guitars. Are they easy to put together or is it more like “here’s a box with all the parts and schematic, have fun” type of a thing? I have wanted to build a hm2 pedal with a blend knob but never pulled the trigger.

Shask

Reaction score
That’s awesome. How detailed are the kits? I have a soldering iron and I have redone the electronics for a few of my guitars. Are they easy to put together or is it more like “here’s a box with all the parts and schematic, have fun” type of a thing? I have wanted to build a hm2 pedal with a blend knob but never pulled the trigger.
A lot of these you just buy the PCB and then the rest is up to you. You have to order the parts and such. I just ordered the PCBs for Highwind Direwolf, and KHDK LFCR clones last night, lol.

However, if you want more paint-by-number for beginners, I would recommend a BYOC kit, or maybe one of the kits from Aion FX where it is a kit and not just a PCB. BYOC has a HM-2 style kit. The Green Pony is a cool Tubescreamer / Klon hybrid which is very useful. Aion has a HM-2 style kit also.