Mayones Regius Core 7 vs Music Man Majesty 7

Jeppe Deluxe

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello!

I’m considering placing an order for a custom Mayones Regius Core 7. My current main guitar is a Music Man Majesty 7 string. As i am located in Norway, there are not many people who own Mayones guitars. I know it’s always an advantage to try a guitar before buying, but unfortunately, I have no chance of playing one before eventually ordering. That being said, I bought my Majesty before trying one, and I am very happy with that guitar. I have done a lot of research regarding Mayones guitars in general, on this forum, Facebook groups and Youtube. My overall impression is that they make amazing guitars with impeccable quality control, but because I can’t try a Mayones Regius, I have a few specific things i would like your insight on, if you have experience with these two guitars.

1. Neck shape

I'm not very picky at all about neck shape. As long as the guitar has low action and is set up well, I can make it work without compromise, as long as it's not a baseball bat. But I would still like to know how the Regius and the Majesty compare in that regard.

2. Weight

I like light weight guitars. My majesty weighs in at 7lb 2oz which is the ideal weight for a guitar to my preference. I have seen on many dealers websites that the Regius tend to weigh a bit more than that, although I have seen quite a few down in the 7lb area as well.

3. Top fret access

This is actually very important to me as I like a guitar not to fight me when I play leads high up the neck. That is one thing about the Majesty that is unparalleled IMO, the top fret access is great!

4. Balance and Ergonomics

How does the Regius compare to the Majesty when it comes to playing comfort and overall balance of the instrument?

5. Tremolo

I prefer guitars with tremolos and my custom order will have a trem. I will most likely go with a Hipshot US Contour, preferably with the 1/4" trem bar like the Kiesels have instead of the 3/16" trem bar, since i like bigger trem arms without the plastic tip. I also prefer the look of the US Contour compared to the Gotoh 510.

The Majesty has a super solid tremolo which always stays in tune no matter how much battering I put it through.

I'm also wondering how Mayones route for their guitars with trems in regards to pull up range. It's a must for me that the trem flutters because I love that effect, and I would also like the ability to pull the trem up as much as I want without anything stopping me.

6. Quality and Attention to detail

My Majesty had no fit and finish flaws when I got it, which is great. However, the set up out of the case was not great. It had very high action, and was not very playable. Once I got the set up sorted, the playability was amazing. The one major problem I have had with this guitar are the electronics. They have failed on me TWICE actually, which is almost not acceptable for a guitar in that price range. I have modded it to be passive now, and it works as it should, but without the preamp and the piezo.

How do Music Man and Mayones compare when it comes to quality control?

7. Pickups

The Dimarzio Illuminator pickups in the Majesty are a bit better for lead than for rythm IMO. They are quite balanced and versatile in addition to having a solid spiltcoil sound.

I am a Prog/Metal/Djent player. I like Periphery, Plini, Tesseract, Dream Theater, etc. you know the drill. I would like some pickups that do that thing well, but I like versatility as well and would like a pickup set that does have a variety of different tones, and are great for cleans, rythm and leads. I think Bare Knuckle is the way to go, but every model sounds good in the sound clips on their website, so it's hard to decide between them. I think the Black Hawks look sick though!

If you have any pickup recommendations that would be greatly appreciated.

Those were all the things wonder about. I'm sorry it's such a long post, but I hope to get some answers regardless from those who have experience with any of the stuff I mentioned above.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can't answer the comparison between the 2 brands, but pick up wise I think Bare knuckles would do well for you also. I'd say just find samples on youtube and see what you think. The Ragnaroks sound great in a 7 string, and are surprisingly versatile. Juggernauts and Polymath's would be another suggestion as well. I've honestly not heard a black hawk 7 string, so now I am gonna go try to find one.

Jeppe Deluxe

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can't answer the comparison between the 2 brands, but pick up wise I think Bare knuckles would do well for you also. I'd say just find samples on youtube and see what you think. The Ragnaroks sound great in a 7 string, and are surprisingly versatile. Juggernauts and Polymath's would be another suggestion as well. I've honestly not heard a black hawk 7 string, so now I am gonna go try to find one.
I know both guitarists in Tesseract uses the Black Hawks in their 7 strings. Their «sound» is vere unique and forward thinking IMO. But if you listen to the sound clips on Bare Knuckle’s website it’s very different from the tones that the Tesseract guys gets out of them. Maybe they are quite versatile. I just think they are the coolest looking pickups though.

Thanks for your insight regardless!

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Mayones are pretty great, I've had 2 regius', but for weight and ergonomics the Majesty is by far the best. No contest. Not even close.

mastapimp

Reaction score
I have a regius from 2013 that is an incredible guitar. Neck is a good comfortable D shape that isn't too thin or chunky...feels right for my hands. Body isn't too heavy (swamp ash). Action is the lowest of any of my guitars with no buzzing. Quality is top-notch and the fret access is pretty good with a very comfortable neck-thru heel transition to the body. No input on the trem as mine has a fixed ABM bridge, and you can pick whatever pickups you like if you custom order. I'm pretty happy with my BKP coldsweat/nailbomb setup.

You mentioned you're interested in a core...mine precedes those models, so the only thing that's uncomfortable about it is the lack of a forearm contour. A lot of people actually hate this about the guitar. After playing it a few days, I got used to it and it's never bothered me since. I'm hoping the core model makes things a little more comfortable in the forearm department.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Honestly, Mayones make some great instruments but based on what you've said I'm not sure a Regius would be a good fit for you. I have several, and they're great, but they're very different guitars than the Majesty.

The Majesty is definitely going to be lighter than even the lightest Regius. They're just physically bigger instruments. The standard route they do for the Hipshot trem doesn't seem to be as deep as the one on JP models, so I don't think you'd get the same range of pulling up (although that's probably something you could get them to change since they are a custom shop).

If you're super in love with the ergonomics of the Majesty, you are probably not going to like any of the Regius models in comparison. The carved top ones feel more like PRSes, and the flat top ones have a radius but are nowhere near as unobtrusive as the majesty body. I personally don't mind, but it's a dealbreaker for a lot of people around here. They do balance just fine though. Top fret access on the carved-top Regius is quite good, but nothing out there really compares to the Majesty in that respect either. It's not as good on the flat-top ones- still totally fine, but not as roomy.

oracles

Reaction score
Jeph is 100% right, if the Majesty is ticking all your boxes right now, I don't think the Regius is the best choice. It'll be heavier, less ergonomic, its a physically bigger instrument (too big IMO) and if you love the JP trem, I don't think the contour is going to give you what you want either.

If youre set on Mayones, I think the Duvell is a better fit, but I'd still caution against the contour. I find it the least stable of the more vintage style trems, especially compared to the 510 trem.

What are you looking for in a custom that the Majesty doesn't give you?

Jeppe Deluxe

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
but for weight and ergonomics the Majesty is by far the best.
I think the Majesty is top notch when it comes to weight without going headless.

I'm hoping the core model makes things a little more comfortable in the forearm department.
The carved top ones feel more like PRSes, and the flat top ones have a radius but are nowhere near as unobtrusive as the majesty body. I personally don't mind, but it's a dealbreaker for a lot of people around here.
Forearm contour is not a huge dealbreaker for me, however, how the back of the guitar is contoured could be, in terms of belly carving and those things. I still have my Epiphone Les Paul 100 which was my first electric guitar, and it does not have a forearm contour or a belly carve, and I find that for me the belly carve is the biggest dealbreaker of the two, although i like having a forearm contour, I don't think it would take long getting used to playing another body shape than the Majesty.

Jeppe Deluxe

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What are you looking for in a custom that the Majesty doesn't give you?
To be completely honest I want to own a great guitar that isn't a signature model guitar as two of my guitars (the Majesty and an Ibanez Jem) that have been my main guitars for approximately 8 years now have been signature guitars. It may be a lame thing to say, but I want a guitar that hasn't got anyone else's name on it.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with that, people want what they want! As for the back carve on Regiuses- the Core models have flat backs with a belly cut (again, PRS style) and the flat-top models have much more rounded corners with a more sweeping/tapered overall shape.

If you were to say "I am 100% getting a Regius, tell me what you think would fit me best" I'd probably say a Core Classic with a Floyd Rose, honestly. You'd get all the tuning stability of the Majesty and then some, and I think the Core series is the closest in terms of "feel" to the Majesty. But again, they're very different guitars. If I were your boss I'd tell you to just buy a second Majesty and put some Bareknuckles in it :lol:

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
As for pickups, I think the Juggernaut is the best do-everything humbucker set BKP makes. If you want something hotter but similar, you could look at the Ragnarok set. Warpigs are high output but lean toward the darker side, to my ears. Nailbombs are funny- I've had them in some guitars and loved them, and hated them in others. The Black Hawks are even hotter still- they're almost in the realm of active pickups in terms of tone and feel. I haven't tried the proprietary TKOs they make for Mayones.

Jinn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know both guitarists in Tesseract uses the Black Hawks in their 7 strings. Their «sound» is vere unique and forward thinking IMO. But if you listen to the sound clips on Bare Knuckle’s website it’s very different from the tones that the Tesseract guys gets out of them. Maybe they are quite versatile. I just think they are the coolest looking pickups though.

Thanks for your insight regardless!
Blackhawks or impulses :)

fantom

Misses his 6 strings
Reaction score
I have a Regius. Never played a Majesty, but can compare to other stuff.

Given you are in EU, factor in taxes and prices. I'd suspect you can get a guitar and pickups manufactured in Poland cheaper than one manufactured in California.

1. Neck shape

The Regius is slim C shape. I'd say it's almost too thin. The website lists them as 20.5mm-21.5 mm. Compared to Jackson, Fender, BC Rich, BRJ, PRS, or Caparison, Mayones necks feel thin. Those are usually closer to 22-23 mm. Looking up measurements of a Majesty, it surprises me that the Regius is 1-2mm thicker. That would turn me off EBMM almost immediately.
2. Weight

The Regius is not heavy, but it ain't light either. You can probably ask them to chamber it.

3. Top fret access

No issues on the Regius

4. Balance and Ergonomics

The Regius balance is fantastic. The ergonomics depend on the guitar. My understanding, some time maybe 4-5 years ago they started cutting the forearm contour deeper. Mine feels fine. I remember people complaining about forearm pain when I was looking into it.
5. Tremolo
Honestly, if you are going custom, buy one with a 7 string Kahler. They used to do that. Otherwise, I'd take an original Floyd (Regius Pro) over the one they started using a few years ago.
6.Quality and Attention to detail
Mayones nailed it here.

As for pickups... Mine has BKP Nailbombs. They sound fine. I'd suggest getting BKP, but not because I'm a fanboy. I actually think BKP are overpriced and not worth it. However, I assume Mayones buys them at bulk discount. If you get pickups you don't like, you might be able to pickup another brand and sell the BKP without sinking money.

Jeppe Deluxe

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you were to say "I am 100% getting a Regius, tell me what you think would fit me best"
I'm almost in that ballpark now. I think the Regius is a beutiful looking guitar, and I have done pretty thorough research on most of the "modern" custom guitar brands like Aristides, OD guitars, Padalka, Skervesen, Kiesel, etc. and I managed to land on the Regius thinking it was my best bet for "replacing" my Majesty, although I'm not going to sell it. I'm looking for a guitar that can do everything the Majesty can do, with things like top fret access and the trem, etc, but not being a Majesty.

But if you have any other suggestions of guitars that are better suited to that isn't a majesty or a signature model I would like to hear them :lol:

Jeppe Deluxe

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honestly, if you are going custom, buy one with a 7 string Kahler. They used to do that. Otherwise, I'd take an original Floyd (Regius Pro) over the one they started using a few years ago.
I prefer not going down the locking trem rabbithole again as I have been there with my Ibanez Jem before I got my Majesty. The Majesty trem just as good feel and range wise as any Floyd Rose IMO, without all the set up hassle the Floyd Roses come with.

It seems like I missed something when I researched the Hipshot US contour trem. I have heard nothing but good things about it until now. Some reviews on Youtube shows that it can handle battering at the same level a Floyd can and still have great tuning stability. I thought as long as you have a well set up trem, locking tuners, a well cut nut and a straight string angle over the nut to the tuners, there shouldn't be a problem with whichever trem you chose. Maybe I'm wrong here?

Please let me know if there are better options for non locking trems as well. :lol:

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
As @MaxOfMetal explained it, most of the tuning stability we habitually attribute to the bridge has more to do with the situation at the nut (which is why double-locking systems are so reliable). I don't have personal experience with them, but if the nut's done well, the Contour should be as stable as any other non-locking bridge.

And you should always take youtube gear reviews with a huge grain of salt. Even if content creators aren't being directly compensated for them, they're still at least motivated to stay in brands' good graces to get access to gear/clout/etc.