Mesa/Boogie Mark V 35 high gain mode comparison

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I've been loving the crap out of my Boogie Mark V 35.
When I was considering buying one I had my doubts about the low-end because some people online stated that the smaller MK V amps didn't have enough low-end oomph.
I have a couple other EL84 amps and those sound fine so I just went for it and I'm super satisfied.
More than enough low-end! :)
The low end is different on a couple of the modes.
I'd say the Xtreme mode definitely has the most low end and the IIC+ mode has the tightest sound.

Anyway, I made a video in which I compare all 4 distorted modes (crunch, IIC+, IV and Xtreme).
It's just a riff with my EMG equipped PRS Torero.
Let me know which mode was your favorite!

I tweaked each mode so that they sound the best in this particular mix.
If you'd just set the controls the same when changing the modes the differences would be much bigger.
So that's something to keep in mind.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
They all sound fantastic, but I think I prefer the MkIIC+ or MkIV.

Nice job, dude, well done.

Subscribed.

Edit: It'd be interesting to hear how the modes sound all with the same settings.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Great video as always!

I especially like the Mark IV mode, but it's nice to see the Crunch mode getting some attention too :yesway: I have the 90w head and I have channel 1 on Tweed, channel 2 Crunch, and channel 3 Mark IV with the bright switch on. Can't go wrong with a Mark series amp IMO

Guitarjon

Reaction score
They all sound fantastic, but I think I prefer the MkIIC+ or MkIV.

Nice job, dude, well done.

Subscribed.

Edit: It'd be interesting to hear how the modes sound all with the same settings.

Thanks!
If you'd tweak channel 2 on the IIC+ mode and switch to the MK IV mode there would be much more saturation (too much for the same settings) and also more bass.
Then if you'd switch to the Xtreme mode it would get much louder and darker because the presence control behaves differently.
So only the first one would sound good tbh.
With this amp it's all about fine tuning the settings and searching for the sweet-spot.

Great video as always!

I especially like the Mark IV mode, but it's nice to see the Crunch mode getting some attention too :yesway: I have the 90w head and I have channel 1 on Tweed, channel 2 Crunch, and channel 3 Mark IV with the bright switch on. Can't go wrong with a Mark series amp IMO

Yeah crunch mode is awesome!
I learned that from the Petrucci MK V 25 video.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
I had the 5:25 and the crunch mode was my favorite. If it had had the fat clean on one channel and the crunch on another I’d probably still have it. I still find myself wondering if I should’ve just bought a 2nd head and used an ABY lol

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I had the 5:25 and the crunch mode was my favorite. If it had had the fat clean on one channel and the crunch on another I’d probably still have it. I still find myself wondering if I should’ve just bought a 2nd head and used an ABY lol
\

Haha, you need to get yourself another one dude!
I think with the modes on channel 2 you should be able to come pretty damn close to the sound of the crunch mode with some tweaks.
I hope my video demonstrates that the modes can be tweaked to sound kinda similar.
If I had spent more time tweaking the tones I would have gotten even closer.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
Yeah crunch mode is awesome!
I learned that from the Petrucci MK V 25 video.

I think that video was a major reason for pushing me towards the full sized MKV precisely because that crunch sounded so good and I wanted it on a separate channel from the cleans.

I'm currently preferring crunch to the 3rd channel modes just because it's a bit less....dry?

I'm also liking Mark 1 mode at the moment for fatter stonerish rock typey stuff.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
\

Haha, you need to get yourself another one dude!
I think with the modes on channel 2 you should be able to come pretty damn close to the sound of the crunch mode with some tweaks.
I hope my video demonstrates that the modes can be tweaked to sound kinda similar.
If I had spent more time tweaking the tones I would have gotten even closer.

I kinda tried. Couldn’t quite get there and I knew it would just annoy me lol. It was a nice little amp for sure.

Reaction score
Excellent comparison. My V:35 is my away rig (parked in my New England apartment so I don’t have to schlep too much gear from SoFlo) and I am happy to switch to it every month when I come up. Your demo sounds great and is true to life.

I oscillate betwixt fat clean and xtreme, but would ove to have crunch in there...maybe should man up for a V:90, but I like the smaller package for up yonder.

Dank je!

Latest posts