Meshuggah fans, need advice

• Thread starter mountainjam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mountainjam

Reaction score
So I bought obzen yesterday, first album I've owned from these guys. Its totally fantastic. I saw meshuggah open for tool back in the day, but never really gave them a chance until yesterday, at best buy, couldn't find anything worth buying. It was sitting all by itself, so I figured what the hell, so many people praise them on ss.org ill give them a chance. Very glad I did.
anyways, im wondering is this their best release? What should I get next?
sorry if there already is a best meshuggah album thread, search never works on my mobile.
thanks guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

davemeistro

Reaction score
My personal favorite of theirs is Destroy Erase Improve, but all their other albums are excellent.

Guitarman700

Reaction score
Nothing and Catch 33. But you have to listen to Catch 33 all the way through in one sitting to get the full effect.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
since you already have Obzen, I recommend just working your way back. For people that haven't heard anything, I recommend that they start with DEI and work their way up chronologically.

welcome to the club though, my favorite band since 1999.

mountainjam

Reaction score
I appreciate the input guys. Sounds like most of the releases might be pretty epic. I like your idea DLG, I think ill just work my way back. Are there any albums to avoid?

heineken_fretwalker

Team Ibanez
Reaction score
I appreciate the input guys. Sounds like most of the releases might be pretty epic. I like your idea DLG, I think ill just work my way back. Are there any albums to avoid?

Catch 33, at least not yet. It's essentially one song laid out over an entire album, and it's perhaps their most mature release, for lack of a better word. It's hard to describe, but I'd recommend jamming their other stuff before giving that a try. I started off with that album, and it really turned me off Meshuggah. If I hadn't jammed Chaosphere, I probably still wouldn't like that band.

That said, DLG has a great idea, and you should work backwards. Combined with my theory, skip I and Catch 33 for now, and get your ass to Nothing, which was their first album with the 8s and transitioned them to their more modern sound. :yesway:

mountainjam

Reaction score
Catch 33, at least not yet. It's essentially one song laid out over an entire album, and it's perhaps their most mature release, for lack of a better word. It's hard to describe, but I'd recommend jamming their other stuff before giving that a try. I started off with that album, and it really turned me off Meshuggah. If I hadn't jammed Chaosphere, I probably still wouldn't like that band.

That said, DLG has a great idea, and you should work backwards. Combined with my theory, skip I and Catch 33 for now, and get your ass to Nothing, which was their first album with the 8s and transitioned them to their more modern sound. :yesway:
Thanks dude, I think that's why I never got into them until now, I remember back in the day my friend was jamming that cd, and I was just turned off by the whole 1 song for an entire album thing.

Encephalon5

Six String Bass Fish
Reaction score
Definitely get Chaosphere next. Don't listen to Catch 33 quite yet. It's an amazing album once you "get" it. But it's not something you'll really want to listen to if you aren't big on the 'shuggah.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Nothing and Catch 33. But you have to listen to Catch 33 all the way through in one sitting to get the full effect.

Absolutely. These two and Obzen are great, and are my 3 favourites. I don't like the faster + higher tuned stuff they did before that so much.

mountainjam

Reaction score
There seems to be some scattered opinions on what's best...that being said, the more I listen to obzen, I can't seem to stop, the more epic it sounds. I guess what im getting at is this isn't their best cd? I guess that's great news if that's true.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
There seems to be some scattered opinions on what's best...that being said, the more I listen to obzen, I can't seem to stop, the more epic it sounds. I guess what im getting at is this isn't their best cd? I guess that's great news if that's true.

I'd say ObZen is their best, and then Nothing, then 33. If you like Obzen then those two are the most similar:yesway:

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I like Nothing the most, because it's so fat and groovy. Followed by obZen. I got obZen and liked it, but I wasn't huge into them. I happened to rip Nothing (found it in a pile of my friend's cds) and that's what really started it for me.

Their off-tempo grooves aren't as long or subtle as they are on obZen, so the polyrhythms are more pronounced, but easier to figure out, which was a big plus for me (if I can't figure out more or less what's being played, it drives me crazy :lol:).

mountainjam

Reaction score
I appreciate everyones opinions, I might just order a few of them off amazon at one time

Richie666

Reaction score
I would check out Chaosphere and Nothing next. No two Meshuggah albums are the same, which makes them all the more memorable.

All of them are fantastic though.