Meshuggah Light Show

• Thread starter Lasik124
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lasik124

Reaction score
So I caught Meshuggah for the first time a couple nights ago.

Was pretty excited when they hit the stage. Right off the bat the lights started to bother me. What appeared to me to be overly syncopated. It was as well quite dark and I couldn't see the band.

By the time the next song hit, the lights got even crazier. Way more flashing, and this time the lights were incredibly bright, and happened very often.

I ended up having to leave the show by the 4th song. I gave it another chance after walking outside for a minute only to get dizzy and quite uncomfortable.

I have been to countless shows and never have had this happen.

Anyone else have a similar unpleasant experience with their light show? Perhaps other people really enjoyed it.
Did you? Share your thoughts!

Also! For the record, I could've stayed and just listened but chose not to. I was still happy to see a band I never have, and appreciated what I caught. No need to get upset about it, went out for dinner afterwards to entertain myself :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bukkakeONyoMAMA

Reaction score
I just saw them last night at Starland in NJ. I was actually worried about the same thing happening to me since it was my first time seeing them. Luckily i didnt have any problems. They put on one hell of a show. The setlist was perfect and the light show at the end was trippy as hell. I dont want to say what song and ruin the experience for someone, but damn!

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
Were you at the Troc? The lights were awesome. There were parts where I had to close my eyes or look away but it really added to the glory and magnificence that is seeing Meshuggah perform.

In all fairness, there should be some sort of warning coupled with their shows. Those lights were no joke.

Also, the lights are super impressive once you know that the they're being played live!

Opeth666

Reaction score
Maybe some kind of Light shaded glasses would help for you or those that may be sensitive to it, maybe consider taking some with you to the next show you plan on going to just in case it bothers your eyes, may help dampen it a bit and still be able to enjoy it.

ATOMICxTomato

Reaction score
Were you at the Troc? The lights were awesome. There were parts where I had to close my eyes or look away but it really added to the glory and magnificence that is seeing Meshuggah perform.

In all fairness, there should be some sort of warning coupled with their shows. Those lights were no joke.

Also, the lights are super impressive once you know that the they're being played live!

Iirc, i believe their light tech is Fredrik's cousin or something along those lines. Remember watching an interview where he stated that, and he pretty much just went off their songs to do the light show....I thought it was pretty badass when I saw em.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
The lights are what made the show that much more impressive for me. Not being able to see anything more than their silhouettes made it theatrical and dark. I can certainly see how it could bother someone, though. My youngest brother has epilepsy, so I know how people can react to those sorts of things. As suggested above, maybe some sunglasses would have helped.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
I went to the Philly show on Friday and it was my 3rd time seeing them. This was by far the most insane their light production has been since I've seen them. I loved it. It was definitely a lot to handle though if you're not expecting it. I knew it would be over the top so I was prepared. I had no idea that the lights were actually being handled LIVE! I assumed that it was on a computer with a click track. I also think that probably only the more strobing/wash lights were handled by a real person. The moving head fixtures and more intricate stuff I still think we computer controlled. I may me wrong but I don't think one person can control all those lights live and be that tight.

All in all it was the best 'Shuggah show I have seen to date. :metal:

pkgitar

Reaction score
I passed out at a show once (much less light intensive than this though). Thankfully I was standing with my back to FOH so I sort of just slid along the wall to the floor. I had been sick the week before and hadn't eaten properly the same day. Maybe health related instance that day?

I had no idea that the lights were actually being handled LIVE! I assumed that it was on a computer with a click track. I also think that probably only the more strobing/wash lights were handled by a real person. The moving head fixtures and more intricate stuff I still think we computer controlled. I may me wrong but I don't think one person can control all those lights live and be that tight.
If I'm understanding this then movement of the lights can still be handled by the lighting guy. The movement and/or actions are pre-programmed, but manually "activated" by hitting the designated buttons/faders. And I'm sure he's well practiced in his field by now haha.
Source: Have some own experience with the same desk/have watched others program the same desk.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
If I'm understanding this then movement of the lights can still be handled by the lighting guy. The movement and/or actions are pre-programmed, but manually "activated" by hitting the designated buttons/faders. And I'm sure he's well practiced in his field by now haha.
Source: Have some own experience with the same desk/have watched others program the same desk.

Hmmm you may be correct then. Just seems like a tougher way to go about running lights. Especially with such a complex show. It is more impressive having a person run them live though.:yesway:

pkgitar

Reaction score
Hmmm you may be correct then. Just seems like a tougher way to go about running lights. Especially with such a complex show. It is more impressive having a person run them live though.:yesway:
For sure, but definitely way cooler!

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Seeing Meshuggah to me looks and feels like the most chaotic vigil ever. Good times.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
I figured you guys might dig this, recorded it the other night. Love the psychedelic .... they do during every guitar solo.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Iirc, i believe their light tech is Fredrik's cousin or something along those lines. Remember watching an interview where he stated that, and he pretty much just went off their songs to do the light show....I thought it was pretty badass when I saw em.

The lighting guy used to be Tomas's cousin. The current guy isn't related to any of the band members.