NGD Ibanez Q52

Reaction score
Actually, the NGD was 3 weeks ago, approximately, but I wanted to play it for a while before giving it any kind of review.

These are the pics from Sweetwater, as good as any I would take.211P02I231113262-body-large.jpg211P02I231113262-front-large.jpg211P02I231113262-back-large.jpeg

I have had other headless guitars in the past. I had a MusicYo era Steinberger GM4S, a Synsonics V (LOL), and (back when they were waaaay cheaper used) a Teuffel Tesla. I also still have an old Arbor licensed by Steinberger bass.

I still have a headless Scott French SF3 that is a great guitar, though the upper fret access is not so easy and I just use it for oddball tunings.

I like light guitars and I recently decided I wanted another headless. I actually bought a used Strandberg Boden Standard and I couldn't bond with it. They have a good shape and look cool, but the neck was too much of an obstacle. If the Endurneck was a little thinner, It might have worked out but it didn't sound amazing, either.

So, I bought this instead.

For the first couple weeks I just used it for daily practice, either through a Pod Express into the return on a Quilter Interblock or else right into my computer, using Helix Native. The guitar only needed a slight truss rod tweak to play well. Fret work is fine. I can get good sounds at home. The guitar also sounds good unplugged. I know opinions vary on how much of a correlation there is between unplugged and plugged in sound, but in my experience, if a guitar doesn't have something going for it unplugged, I probably won't like it plugged in. YMMV

Once I was sure I was comfortable playing it, I took it to band practice.

At practice and shows, I use a couple of distortion pedals, a Boss Super Shifter and a HX Stomp XL into the effects return of a Quilter Overdrive 200 into 2 1x12 ported cabs.

I had no problem using it at practice, though I am probably going to change the pickups. They are BRIGHT, and I don't think the chassis (wood/neck/frets) is that bright on it's own, IMO. It's not so bright it can't be dialed out via tone controls in my modeler, but it's too different than my other guitars (main other guitar is a Schecter Apocalypse with Nailbombs). It didn't feel like I was playing a cheap or bad sounding guitar, though, and I suspect a pickup swap will put this where I want it to be.

I personally don't need all the switching options the guitar offers. I only would use the normal 5 way switch settings, not the setting with the mini toggle engaged.

I ordered a replacement switch (without the extra "alter mode" caps and resistors) to facilitate changing the pickups.

I will probably also move the volume control to the spot where the mini toggle is and put a kill switch where the volume was. Volume position isn't bad, but I finding myself hitting it more than I would like. I did a similar thing with my Schecter, moving the volume to the first tone position, wiring the second tone as master, and putting a kill where the volume was.

I certainly wouldn't mind if the guitar body was a little thicker and wider, but it doesn't feel like a toy.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
The other quibble I have is that, with the dark roasted neck wood, the black side dots are very hard to see. This is not a problem unique to this guitar, and I will put glow dot stickers on it, have done it many times before.

Luminlay, or something like it, should be more widespread in the industry, IMO.