Meshuggah Megamushthread!!

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
Imo the teaser mix sounds weird to me, right before the ambient solo kicks in there’s an unnatural stereo wideness to the rhythm tracks or some excessive side chaining going on? Hopefully someone will chime in and tell me that my ears are shot.

tl;dr: As Tom toms on Tom's tom-toms, the tom-toms go "tom tom tom tom tom tom tom tom."

I suspect what you're hearing is the way Haake's toms are panned. The fill he's doing at that part seems to be hitting one tom consistently while the other hand progresses down the other toms. Because his toms are tuned so low and are hard to distinguish from each other, it seems like something in the sound field is expanding toward the right.

With my better headphones I hear each tom individually and don't get that sense of sound field movement -- instead, I just get a good spatial sense of where his toms are on his kit. With a set of still-good-but-not-great headphones the toms mush together a bit and it gives feel similar to a very slow phaser sweeping the sound field.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Eh, sounded like a pretty generic tom fill to me :shrug: The whole thing felt pretty much as generic as possible though, all the way down to the video thing.

One point though - am I mistaken, or do the chugging guitars seem to be played higher than usual? I mean, it doesn't sound like their typical low F or whatever string chugging, but rather something around the B on a standard tuned 7-string. I could just be totally deaf as well :lol:

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
Guys the kick and snare dont sound like Thomas' kit at all , specially his tribal trashy snare. It feels like a midi kit, it lacks some room, some transient in toms fill. The tuning is weird, the video is too flashy. After TVSOR and its very organic sound it would be a huge step down. I wont bet an euro on this one.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion: Koloss is the single worst-sounding Meshuggah record (sound-wise, the songs are killer). TVSoR sounded insanely good though. It'd be a shame if they had to go back to using MIDI drums and ampsims, but it'd also be understandable considering the lack of touring income the past two years.
EDIT: Maybe also lack of funds / time due to Fredrik funding Sp Def 2? Maybe? Please?

Last edited:

I play music

Reaction score
Unpopular opinion: Koloss is the single worst-sounding Meshuggah record (sound-wise, the songs are killer). TVSoR sounded insanely good though. It'd be a shame if they had to go back to using MIDI drums and ampsims, but it'd also be understandable considering the lack of touring income the past two years.
EDIT: Maybe also lack of funds / time due to Fredrik funding Sp Def 2? Maybe? Please?
if Frederik has his own studio then I don't think they'd have to use midi drums and ampsims because of moneys

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Here's a thought:

With the release date supposedly set to 1st of April, could this be a pre-emptive April fools pun? Like, imagine if they made this to see how people react and to test how much hype something sub-par would generate, only to drop the actual new (hopefully really awesome) stuff on that date.

I play music

Reaction score
Here's a thought:

With the release date supposedly set to 1st of April, could this be a pre-emptive April fools pun? Like, imagine if they made this to see how people react and to test how much hype something sub-par would generate, only to drop the actual new (hopefully really awesome) stuff on that date.
my comment 1 page back ;-)

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
mybody.jpg

BusinessMan

Reaction score
Alright. Its been 30+ years, but I am still willing to give this band another chance to understand the hubbub.

Listen to dancers of a discordant system and obzen (my two personal favorite tracks, if you havent already). And the way I understand meshuggah, is that they're not really a band going for musicality as they are complex rhythm. Perhaps the edm of metal?

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score

I kinda love uow Koloss sounds, it's so compressed that for me it gives it a meditative quality. Which sounds silly considering how heavy the band is but I wouldn't say it's aggressive at all

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
See them live if you can. I enjoyed the odd song by them but hearing their music in a live setting made me really appreciate them.

Agreed. I just looked at some old photos and came across a few from when I saw them live in 2007. I can't really explain it, but it was an experience unlike any other band I've seen live.

They are a band I need to be in the mood for though.

Same here, it takes a very specific mood, and even then I mostly enjoy their older, pre 8-string albums. That said, I really dig their latest album because of that haunting/nightmare feel it has to it.