michalik bp-4 with mc-1/mcp-1 (spector tonepump with a mid control) vs emg bqs vs darkglass tone capsule or your recommendation

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
im wondering what would be good with emg pj (posibbly my favorite pickups for my style), which is thrash metal (more in the style of megadteh, annihilator, anthrax, testament and overkill, sepultura) and death metal (death, canibal corpse) groove metal (white zombie,pantera,machine head and sepultura in their groove era)
which preamp would work best for those styles? i have a bass with 5 knobs and an 18volt housing but i can also use only 9 volt if necessary.
the spector tonepump reamp is a michalik bp4 (its outside of spector name) with the mc-1 or mcp-1 mid control.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's really going to be a preference thing. EMG's work on anything from downtuned metal to pop to country. (I've done that all on one bass). More of a transparent sound.

I have no personal experience with the Michalik or Spector stuff but I love the tone others get with it. I've read that the Tonepump can be pretty aggressive... More of a character preamp. Michalik makes or made a pedal version of that preamp that I need to try.

Personally, I'd lean towards the EMG because it really works on anything. Or EMG onbaord preamp and Michalik preamp pedal.