Mick Thompson with ESP now?

• Thread starter KnightBrolaire
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Ive only ever had a few Jackson's and they were pieces of shit so makes sense

The one Jackson MT Pro that I played, as well as the one I bought after that, had no issues in terms of QC; only downside was the dogshit MT Blackout pickups that are tighter than a gnat's ass, so everything sounds shrill and compressed. Get those out of the guitar and they'd be 10x better.

ThomasUV777

Reaction score
What can I say... Two of my CS Jacksons are quite recent (2015-2016) and they're stellar instruments. YMMV, of course, but as you said: "dissatisfied customers are louder than the satisfied ones". Calling it a 50-50 ratio is quite a stretch, considering satisfied customers usually don't say a word.

By that I meant the online testimonies, not the actual satisfaction rate. I have no way of knowing about that one, other than my own. Which is unfortunately 0%.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Putting aside brand fanboyism/anti-fanboyism (isn't that just being a "hater?"), my good experiences vs others' bad experiences and anonymous online criticism. What he's playing here are better-looking than any of his past signature models from any brand he's played, which I find to be completely meh.

I'm unlikely to buy anything he puts out, because I like Floyds. The world needs more production sparkle finishes though. Hopefully he doesn't just put out another black/white superstrat.

Last edited:

yan12

Reaction score
In terms of recent Charvel CS guitars, I only have 3. 2015, 2017, 2020. All three are excellent. The older ones are not included in this opinion as they are from long before the FMIC merger.

My experience tells me that consistency may be better out of the Japan ESP CS. Based on the guitars I own/owned.

I have guitars by both, and both are outstanding. Nothing compares to a guitar made specifically for you if you really know what you want. In that regard, I have yet to play guitars that approach my Masterwork Schecters, but again, these are all my specs.

I also know that DCGL is like anywhere else, they go through every guitar they get from any maker, and if they are no good, they go back. They quit dealing with FMIC in general, and EBMM, a few years ago mainly due to wait times followed by inconsistent build quality. Their main electric brands are Ibanez, Schecter, ESP, G&L for guitars. Obviously they stock lots of custom shop guitars from all these brands as well as the entry level stuff. There is some Dean USA and Framus. But they move lots of guitars and have concentrated on those brands for a reason.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
I mean, kinda. The soloist shape is kinda typical of a lot of players. The non soloist shapes are pretty wildly different though.
QDzSA_hIq-D8zAMw9lyP-SLf2bst1auyxFWA2mbtH2Y.jpg
ysvbj4jy2ve03w9qy1v4.jpg
mick_thomson_uses_jackson_double_rhoads_king_v_1_44fa6550d2.jpg
If Jackson had released that double rhoads/king v, it would’ve been amazing.

Avedas

Reaction score
I've basically never listened to Slipknot in my life but I went to the show on Saturday and that guitar was pretty damn cool. I had no idea it was new.

guitar_player4_2_0

Reaction score
Seems like that hipshot bridge would feel weird coming off of all those fixed Floyd’s. Used to have an MTM2. Really liked it, sold it for like $300 years ago. Always liked the MTM1. Just checked them out on reverb. Jesus Christ. So basically every guitar is gonna be 2K+ here real soon is the impression I’m getting.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Im assuming the bridges that Jackson had made for the import MT sig model were made overseas right? I'm wondering if that's the case, ESP can just have them made for them as well.

That or I'm wondering if that's the reason why Mick was prototyping a new bridge setup; because even Jackson themselves were having issues getting the bridges.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
I've lost track of how many brands he's been attached to by now.