Mick Thompson with ESP now?

• Thread starter KnightBrolaire
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I guess I just assumed a new, big name signing would jump the line even though they still have a 2-year backlog for us normal folk.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
I guess I just assumed a new, big name signing would jump the line even though they still have a 2-year backlog for us normal folk.
He probably is skipped ahead of normal humans. But he's still got to wait for them to finish up with the backlog of Kirk's custom graphic guitars, James' camouflage hunting guitars and replicas of his other brand guitars, and the same SC model over and over in every color of paint that becomes available.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Artists have been posting about it taking forever to get stuff for awhile now too.

ESP is just really jammed up right now.

But we're coming up on a year now, so he'll probably have the ESP version of the Ibanez he had Jackson make pretty soon.

He_Ma

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In his new sig Fishman pickup video he has two horizons (other one that is shown only briefly is the same black sparke one that is on the first post of this thread) and other is cool red one, not sure what that excact colour is called by ESP. At this point is seems that the horizon will be most likely be his sig which is not suprising. It would still have been cool to have sig arrow or something..

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In his new sig Fishman pickup video he has two horizons (other one that is shown only briefly is the same black sparke one that is on the first post of this thread) and other is cool red one, not sure what that excact colour is called by ESP. At this point is seems that the horizon will be most likely be his sig which is not suprising. It would still have been cool to have sig arrow or something..

I thought they sounded a bit nasally with distortion but really good on cleans

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not a Slipknot fan by any stretch of the imagination but I like gear so have been following this. Watching vids of the Fishmans I saw another vid of an interview where he said he's liking trying different guitars, and he'd been really impressed with an Eclipse he'd been using. I guess its anyone's guess at this point.

neurosis

Reaction score

I thought they could have controlled this a little more. Have prompts questions of camera t lead the content a little. I felt like watching him and his uncle talk about fly fishing would have been more interesting than this. Liked his playthrough much better. But looks like Fishman is trying to put out more content which maybe lights a fire for EMG who have been low key for a good while.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
I actually really like the sound of the punchy passive bridge one or whatever (the 2nd one throughout the bridge portion). Idk if I'd pick a set up but his tone admittedly sounds very tight and nuanced.

In the first video above I get what he's saying about pickup consistency. I've had a few times where I've thrown a pickup in a guitar that I've loved in others and it just hasn't sounded the same for whatever reason.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I actually really like the sound of the punchy passive bridge one or whatever (the 2nd one throughout the bridge portion). Idk if I'd pick a set up but his tone admittedly sounds very tight and nuanced.

In the first video above I get what he's saying about pickup consistency. I've had a few times where I've thrown a pickup in a guitar that I've loved in others and it just hasn't sounded the same for whatever reason.

The metallic Mirage is fascinating because IIRC, it had a standard Hipshot bridge. But now it has the Hipshot Ibby. I'm assuming that'll be the bridge he uses on the high-end model?

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Hmm I'm not convinced with these new pickups. If they can make these Fishman's sound like anything, then surely they could have cut the fizz out.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm I'm not convinced with these new pickups. If they can make these Fishman's sound like anything, then surely they could have cut the fizz out.
I was thinking the same. I think it might actually be how they've mic'd the cabinet though, it sounds like a standard whistle around 5-6k, which is a very common problem area for mic'ing

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score

I was thinking the same. I think it might actually be how they've mic'd the cabinet though, it sounds like a standard whistle around 5-6k, which is a very common problem area for mic'ing

Funnily enough Axe Palace did their own demo vid with "in the room" sound, and it sounded MUCH better than the Fishman vid. It was on Facebook if anyone is interested.

OT, but Jim Root is going to be on ToneTalk tonight.

I operating on about 3 hours of sleep and read this "Jim Groot" and burst out laughing :lol:

neurosis

Reaction score
OT, but Jim Root is going to be on ToneTalk tonight.
It was a very long episode but he shared some interesting bits. It was also quite apparent that him and clown (from what I understand) are trying to write as a band in a room in the foreseeable future. I may reading into it but I also felt that his remarks about Casagrande's chops and attitude in that regard gave the impression that they were looking for a new writing partner, not just a performer.

I know it wasn't the point of the episode and that the guy just moved but would have been cool to see the new setup for the recording space and an update on his guitar collection.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
It was a very long episode but he shared some interesting bits. It was also quite apparent that him and clown (from what I understand) are trying to write as a band in a room in the foreseeable future. I may reading into it but I also felt that his remarks about Casagrande's chops and attitude in that regard gave the impression that they were looking for a new writing partner, not just a performer.

I know it wasn't the point of the episode and that the guy just moved but would have been cool to see the new setup for the recording space and an update on his guitar collection.

Ask and ye shall recieve-

Not super thorough, but a light viewing of exactly those things-

Jim definitely sounds pumped for the future and I had some of the same thoughts after watching it, that getting Eloy had more to do with the writing process than anything else.

And shit, *I* think they sound fucking GREAT with him from the live stuff I’ve seen so far. I know a lot of people love the sloppier/unschooled aspects of Joey and live Jay definitely carried that torch, but Eloy hits like a motherfucker and he sounds like the perfect drummer for where they’re at right now, musically.

A bit of an odd interview because Dave and Marc don’t know jack about Slipknot and I think Jim had an idea that the interview was more Slipknot focused than gear focused, but it still turned out pretty great.

Marc was stoked the interview made some Blabbermouth headlines, I told him to just wait a few days and there’ll surely be more because Jim was pretty open with that, especially in regard to that unreleased album that seems to be Slipknot fan’s white whale.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I know several members didn't sound to happy about the last album writing process being so "isolated" so I guess they took that criticism to heart.

But yeah I don't wanna assume too much from the Fishman demo. They tended to make other pickups sound like ass. But just the little I heard didn't sound too different from the other Fishmansn

Latest posts