Mix this! Alternative Metal song (28 tracks)

• Thread starter yanzfoot
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yanzfoot

Reaction score
Hey everyone i'm a senior sound technician student (and I'm doing a F.O.H and monitor engineering grade next year, since unfortunately money today is just on live-music), and I know a lot of live sound-engineers and studio engineers in my zone, and also i've played bass and guitars in some local bands, and also as a sound guy, i've recorded some local bands and I did as a sound tech some live shows especifically in the rock - metal area, that it is what I enjoy most.

The reason why i'm telling this is because the other day cleaning my hard-drive, I realized that I had a lot of recorded multi-track stuff of the last years (live shows, studio recordings etc.), and since I was about to erase it, I thought to myself. Hey ¿Why don't I upload those tracks, and let people mix it, so they can practice they mixing skills? (I even had live multitrack recordings from pretty famous metal bands when they played in my town, but I have to see what has copyright and what not).

I guess, that doing this I can learn a lot from people around here with some constructive criticism, and vice versa. So if this ends up being interesting, I will upload more stuff.

So this particular song was from a band, that I ended up being the bass-player in 2013, and then after recording they splitted up (sorry for the Singer that has a bad english
biggrin.gif
).

In this case, it is all mic'd (drums, guitar and bass) and no drum triggers or line in
This is my mix
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/pcfriki/blended-nasty-mattress-2015-re-master[/SC]

This is the sound that you get when putting, all the tracks on your DAW
WAV's are 48 KHz - 16 bit 39 MB each track (750 Mb in total)
Song Tune: A#
BPM: 109
And here are all the 28 tracks (Nasty Mattress Bruto)​

col

blah.
Reaction score
I'll give it a go. But uploading the tracks as a single zip file propably would get more people on this, it was annoying as fark to click through every track to dl them. (140 mouse clicks!)

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Just a question, but why is this recorded at 48kHz/16bit?

That is such a bizarre combination (I mean anything with 16-bit post like 2000 is strange), but also being 48kHz... just a little odd...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yanzfoot

Reaction score
Just a question, but why is this recorded at 48kHz/16bit?

That is such a bizarre combination (I mean anything with 16-bit post like 2000 is strange), but also being 48kHz... just a little odd...

At the time I was using a simple Edirol M16-dx for the drums with Windows 7 back in 2013, and there ware some problems with the drivers, that it wouldn't let me record at 24 bit. BTW the mastering process is always at 16 bit, but yeah it was bizarre.

yanzfoot

Reaction score
I'll give it a go. But uploading the tracks as a single zip file propably would get more people on this, it was annoying as fark to click through every track to dl them. (140 mouse clicks!)

Post updated with the zip file

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
At the time I was using a simple Edirol M16-dx for the drums with Windows 7 back in 2013, and there ware some problems with the drivers, that it wouldn't let me record at 24 bit. BTW the mastering process is always at 16 bit, but yeah it was bizarre.

Not sure what the mastering process being at 16-bit has to do with the recording process being at 16-bit, but whatever. If it's a limitations things then cool, no worries.

col

blah.
Reaction score
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/nakedzen/mixmastertest[/SC]

Here's mine. It could be better if I put some more time into it.

yanzfoot

Reaction score
Not sure what the mastering process being at 16-bit has to do with the recording process being at 16-bit, but whatever. If it's a limitations things then cool, no worries.

Sorry, it is "usually" at 16 bit (I said always). But yes, you've right the standart process in recording, is 48KHz/24b or even 96. In this case like I said before, it was a limitation back in the time. :wavey:

yanzfoot

Reaction score
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/nakedzen/mixmastertest[/SC]

Here's mine. It could be better if I put some more time into it.

Cool, maybe like you said, if you put more time you could do it better, because at the momento it is pretty raw. But I like the fact that it is a pretty punchy mix, what you did here.

BlueGrot

Reaction score
Did a mix but there's so many nitpicks on the recorded tracks that I've decided against posting it. Please don't cut overheads short of cymbal hits, they just drop out in the first break. Also, the snare mic is clipping on some hits.

yanzfoot

Reaction score
Did a mix but there's so many nitpicks on the recorded tracks that I've decided against posting it. Please don't cut overheads short of cymbal hits, they just drop out in the first break. Also, the snare mic is clipping on some hits.

Like I said before, this was recorded in 2013 against all odds. My teacher, always said to me that the best engineers are those who are able to get everything out of nothing. With good equipment, ezdrummers, and good stuff everyone is an "engineer", and that's the point here: the challenge of getting something good, out of nothing