Mod project: Ridiculous 80's Washburn (poll included!)

• Thread starter MoonJelly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Budget is $300! What takes priority?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
I have a friend very sentimentally attached to this old Washburn guitar and he would like me to 'make it better'. His budget is not very big, probably can't spare more than a few hundred dollars, so I think we may need a vote to see what the popular choice would be.

A few notes, the guitar is probably the heaviest I have ever hefted. Easily 14 pounds, maybe more. I haven't put it on a scale yet.

pickups and fretwork are OK, tremolo is stable. It's a licensed Floyd with a teeny tiny block on it, and the posts have a phillips-style hatch on top that is a little stripped out. Most of the floyds I've seen have an allen/hex style post, seems like a weird choice.

electronics need cleaning up, the pots are cheep. Pickups seem OK, so perhaps pot and cap upgrade would greatly improve it. All hardware, including schaller strap locks, is in remarkably good shape.

What ever he decides, this thing is going to get new lacquer and a complete setup, so maybe that changes things? Your thoughts?

IMG_20170509_002126507.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

astrocreep

Reaction score
Light tidy of the fret work, replace the hardware with quality Black stuff to match the pickups and binding!

MoonJelly

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Also, just curious, I prefer the Gotoh 1996 Floyd--has anyone experienced a big difference between the Schaller, Gotoh, or Original?

neun Arme

Reaction score
What does he think is the main problem with this guitar? That should be the thing to change.

MoonJelly

Reaction score
It's not a particular problem he's concerned about--I did a mod on a cheapo LP for him about 2 years ago, and he freaking loved it. So we are looking to repeat that.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Also, just curious, I prefer the Gotoh 1996 Floyd--has anyone experienced a big difference between the Schaller, Gotoh, or Original?

These days? They're all solid. I'm partial to the Gotoh unit myself as it's probably the best out of the box and happens to be a bit cheaper.

I'd only go OFR if you wanted to do a lot of parts mixing, like adding stainless or titanium components, and Schaller only if I wanted some of their specialty finishes.

neun Arme

Reaction score
It's not a particular problem he's concerned about--I did a mod on a cheapo LP for him about 2 years ago, and he freaking loved it. So we are looking to repeat that.
Well, if it plays well, I'd go for the aesthetic change.

Kaff

Reaction score
Black HW, fretjob (if needed) and maybe a black telecaster pickguard? I'd go for a Jim Root Tele look.

ASoC

Downpicker \m/
Reaction score
Stone Tone stone tone block for the floyd.

You mean those snakeoil blocks where the block is stone, but the screw threads are zinc and they specifically tell you not to tighten the block too much or you'll strip them?

Yeah that's the one.

Screw that, give me a brass big block any day. :yesway:

To the OP: I think you should get a Gotoh Floyd and brass block for it. Together they still come in under the price of a new OFR

ASoC

Downpicker \m/
Reaction score
^ even better, more money saved :D

honestly, if you get a gotoh you might even be able to get some used pickups and replace the hardware and electronics for around $300

domsch1988

Reaction score
Pickups would be the biggest change in sound.
On a tight budget my priorities would be playability > Sound > Looks
So, if the setup is taken care off, i'd go with pickups and electronics.

Dcm81

Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority here but I am assuming, due to the large sentimental attachement, that he has enjoyed playing it for years already so playability isn't a factor.
Unless he's looking for a big difference in sound and records or performs enough for a pick-up change to be justified, the one best thing (IMO) to make you fall in love with a guitar all over again, is changing the looks of it.
Putting a flamed top on that (and the chambering) would be amazing!
I have an old ´93 Iceman (my first proper guitar) that I still love the feel and sound of but hardly ever played anymore after several new guitars came into my possession over the years.
On a whim, I sanded the paint/primer, stained the blank body and slapped a walnut top on it. She's been getting SO much more playing time since because it felt like the good old girl that she is BUT it looked like a new guitar!

MoonJelly

Reaction score
So I plugged it in to my home amp today, I didn't realize at the first impression what a fire-breather it is. It's definitely an 80s metal machine. After minimal setup, it plays...pretty great, actually!

Apparently these guitars were part of a pretty big scandal, for a couple good reasons. For one, they were labeled as handmade in 'Buffalo Grove, IL, USA'! But in reality, they were made in China. If memory serves they actually bought out a town in China and called it 'USA' :lol:

That, and the series was touted to have solid maple bodies, whereas removing the trem and control covers reveals a body of solid plywood.

These things aside, it does play really well. The neck has a nice rolled edge and is almost laser straight, that's definitely the star here.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Throw a Luke set of EMG's in there, and you're likely in good shape.
Overall setup.

I toured with an Ibanez that had a Takeuchi (TRS-Lo 101) for about 4 years.
Stayed in tune great, never had any issues with it, but I've been able to maintain trems very well for a lot of years. Some are pure crap, for sure, but others, like these, will work and will work well if properly cared for.