Obscura - A Valediction (19-11-2021)

• Thread starter Pietjepieter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

anomynous

Reaction score
Christian’s FB post about leaving Alkaloid has a bunch of comments and he says he’s fine so it doesn’t sound like his hand.

He also deleted a comment he made but the replies are still there. It sounds like Steffen fired everybody and told them they were all only session members anyway.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
I've never had a Skype lesson with him but I would assume he would have to be playing guitar somewhat in the lessons.

I had one with him a few months ago and it was actually really good. He didn't really play too much and instead talked quite a bit but it was really useful information. He actually managed to squeeze a lot of helpful advice into the 1 hour I spoke to him. I should have another lesson with him coming up so hopefully all is well with his hand. I'm sure he's fine.

Christian’s FB post about leaving Alkaloid has a bunch of comments and he says he’s fine so it doesn’t sound like his hand.

He also deleted a comment he made but the replies are still there. It sounds like Steffen fired everybody and told them they were all only session members anyway.

What a joke man. Not to sling too much mud but Steffen is pretty outclassed by the musicians he surrounds himself with. I don't wish for negative shit to happen to most people but I think he's really shooting himself in the foot pulling stuff like this. Obscura may be successful but the death metal community isn't exactly big enough that he can warrant a Dave Mustaine complex and continuously find musicians of the caliber that can play their music. Maybe I'm wrong though. Either way, I hope the rest of the guys move onto something interesting with less drama involved.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Probably the relevant thread: looks like the entire band left again. Christian & David removed Obscura mentions from their social media bios and Jeroen hasn’t done anything with Obscura since the last music video.
They had Alex Weber from Exist a playing bass on their tour earlier this year.

It was kinda funny because Max Phelps is also in Exist and couldn't perform with Cynic that your because he had commitments with Death to All, so Steffen did the growls for Cynic.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They had Alex Weber from Exist a playing bass on their tour earlier this year.

It was kinda funny because Max Phelps is also in Exist and couldn't perform with Cynic that your because he had commitments with Death to All, so Steffen did the growls for Cynic.
We're reaching the point where the DM community is going to be like Sweden, with 15 guys in 70 bands.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
Hum I am sort of surprised seeing Christian leaves both Obscura and Alkeloid, I hope everything is Ok with him.

Also he posted some Necrophagist stuff on instagram, maybe he left to join the Necrophagist reunion?

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
I spoke with Christian briefly about this today during my lesson. It wasn't a health related issue like people are speculating. I don't want to put his business out there out of respect for him, but he said he'll post something about it clarifying the situation soon. It's not really anything unexpected from Obscura, but the Alkaloid stuff is literally just as amicable as it could be and it's not really drama oriented in any form, just a logistical situation. Hopefully that quells a little of the speculation.

In any case, I was relieved to hear he's doing well and he still has other music stuff coming. Retromorphosis we already know about, but he's enjoying his freedom right now to speak before figuring out what he wants to do next.

On another more important note, he is offering guitar lessons nearly full time right now and he's an excellent teacher. The detail he goes into on subjects that would otherwise seem trivial to normal musicians (we all know guitar players are as nitpicky as can be) was very helpful to me and I'm looking forward to having more lessons with him. Hit him up on Instagram if any of you are interested.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
I spoke with Christian briefly about this today during my lesson. It wasn't a health related issue like people are speculating. I don't want to put his business out there out of respect for him, but he said he'll post something about it clarifying the situation soon. It's not really anything unexpected from Obscura, but the Alkaloid stuff is literally just as amicable as it could be and it's not really drama oriented in any form, just a logistical situation. Hopefully that quells a little of the speculation.

In any case, I was relieved to hear he's doing well and he still has other music stuff coming. Retromorphosis we already know about, but he's enjoying his freedom right now to speak before figuring out what he wants to do next.

On another more important note, he is offering guitar lessons nearly full time right now and he's an excellent teacher. The detail he goes into on subjects that would otherwise seem trivial to normal musicians (we all know guitar players are as nitpicky as can be) was very helpful to me and I'm looking forward to having more lessons with him. Hit him up on Instagram if any of you are interested.
Good to hear he is doing well. Maybe It try some lessons.

Going to see Alkeloid within a couple of weeks still, to bad he will not be there :(

Latest posts