Morse's Tumeni Notes question - which of these is correct?

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I decided to practice Tumeni Notes, as it's a great picking exercise AND it sounds cool.

In multiple places I see this written as the opening phrase:

Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 8.10.52 PM.png

But I swear it sounds like this:

Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 8.10.28 PM.png

I'm usually not one to question multiple tab sources, as my ear sucks, but it just doesn't sound right to hit the 7th fret on the 6th note of that main phase. Anyone play this piece? Can you confirm that it IS the 8th fret?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I decided to practice Tumeni Notes, as it's a great picking exercise AND it sounds cool.

In multiple places I see this written as the opening phrase:

View attachment 145855

But I swear it sounds like this:

View attachment 145856

I'm usually not one to question multiple tab sources, as my ear sucks, but it just doesn't sound right to hit the 7th fret on the 6th note of that main phase. Anyone play this piece? Can you confirm that it IS the 8th fret?
Ok cool. I think maybe someone did a tab for it, and then everyone else has copied that tab - error and all. That’s the only thing I can think of, because so many online have that weird note.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
The thing about Steve Morse tabs is that anything other than his official tabs tend to suck dick, and his official tabs don't have the 2-3 other ways he sometimes plays things.

I have a copy of the official tab book if you want it. Not sure it answers your question, though.

tedtan

Reaction score
Ok cool. I think maybe someone did a tab for it, and then everyone else has copied that tab - error and all. That’s the only thing I can think of, because so many online have that weird note.
That’s probably what happened.

his thread got me looking back over Steve’s Power Lines instructional video and the second way you’ve notated Tumeni Notes (aka Too Many Notes) above is how it is played and transcribed in this video.

IMG_0739.jpeg

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
The thing about Steve Morse tabs is that anything other than his official tabs tend to suck dick, and his official tabs don't have the 2-3 other ways he sometimes plays things.

I have a copy of the official tab book if you want it. Not sure it answers your question, though.
That would be awesome, thanks!