A love letter to the Ibanez Universe

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Since we're on this thread anyway, UV70P - is the Premium version worth it?

I haven’t loved them, for the price. If I snagged on for $600 I would feel pretty good about it.

Ugly fretboards and bad fretwork have been my biggest complaints with them. But I’ve only tried them in store, and they always had god awful setups, so i can’t really say much more. They definitely looks cheap in person, that’s for sure.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
Proverbial love letters once again affirming they're red flags in much the same way that real ones are.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Different neck shape, frets, neck joint, pickups, body routes, etc. They also made UVs on average lighter.

I don't think they're "better" objectively, but they're definitely different enough to have a preference one way or another.

The cork sniffery is pretty new, as up until about 15 years ago you could barely give them away, but now that folks want real money for them all of a sudden we get this shit. :lol:

Yea, I'm not bothered or confused by things once not much cared for suddenly becoming cool or desirable. But I'm annoyed by the revisionist history which tries to establish them as some especially high quality guitar, as in this video.

ESP MX would be another one -- I see guys shell out like $9k/10k for one of these, then post raving about "I see what the hype is now". Do you? Because it's just like essentially any other ESP guitar, now in a different shape. The hype is ESP not making them + metallica fans getting old, but now we need to play along like there's something special there in terms of quality.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yea, I'm not bothered or confused by things once not much cared for suddenly becoming cool or desirable. But I'm annoyed by the revisionist history which tries to establish them as some especially high quality guitar, as in this video.

ESP MX would be another one -- I see guys shell out like $9k/10k for one of these, then post raving about "I see what the hype is now". Do you? Because it's just like essentially any other ESP guitar, now in a different shape. The hype is ESP not making them + metallica fans getting old, but now we need to play along like there's something special there in terms of quality.

It's the rarity that makes this possible. It used to be $800 and the inclination to buy was all you needed to grab a Green Dot, Silver, even PWHs. But they're less common and thus more expensive so the speculators swoop in and try to sell them as being something worthy of the inflated prices for something other than fandom or rarity.

The irony is that one of the things that lead to UVs being so cheap were the J.Custom RG7s, which they too were sold in North America with inflated prices due to rarity and the spectre of being "special". I've played a lot of old JCRGs, they're great guitars, but folks wanted boutique bespoke shop money for them at one point. :lol:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
It's the rarity that makes this possible. It used to be $800 and the inclination to buy was all you needed to grab a Green Dot, Silver, even PWHs. But they're less common and thus more expensive so the speculators swoop in and try to sell them as being something worthy of the inflated prices for something other than fandom or rarity.

The irony is that one of the things that lead to UVs being so cheap were the J.Custom RG7s, which they too were sold in North America with inflated prices due to rarity and the spectre of being "special". I've played a lot of old JCRGs, they're great guitars, but folks wanted boutique bespoke shop money for them at one point. :lol:

That was funny to watch from over here in Japan, as the new prices for those j-customs were never really more than 230,000-280,000Y, and then sweetwater would put them up like $4500 IIRC. And that was back when 100Y was roughly $1, so stupid to imagine people buying them there.

But yea, the video description of why the old UVs are better than prestige level stuff reminds me of when we had like Francisco F-something italian in here posting a pamphlet about why a blackmachine was a $20k guitar. Like dude, it's a $20k guitar because there's 8 of them and the people who bought them because djent famous. No need to retroactively try to put the price on chambering and fancy woods when they were 2-4k GBP for a long while.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score

I don't have a great term for this, but I refer to it as a 'collector's inflation' that applies to many hobbies.

The basic premise is that prices for hobby goods pace above economic inflation and supply-and-demand pressures due to the influence that online price databases have on fandoms eager to justify 'collector's inflation' with revisionist thinking.

In other words, fandoms usually push frankly insane theories of material worth and scales of manufacture to explain away straightforward collecting urges that are driving price to irrational levels, often by simplifying the whole process down to just supply-and-demand, or just diminishing standards of quality, etc. You know...for cheap mass-manufactured goods pumped out in the millions in the 1990s or whatever.

It's a bigger topic to address than just that small summary, but as far as collector's inflation goes, I wish more people would confront it in their hobby spaces rather than ascribe it to other (un)related factors, as it usually harms those hobbies in aggregate.

Limited supply obviously plays a part. For what it's worth, I probably see more Universes for sale now than I did 15 years ago, but people are more incentivised to list their guitars for sale when some of the prices are pushing five figures and when there's more eyeballs looking at the listings than ever.

Hell, a lot of those early(ish) J Customs are much cheaper than the UVs now. Some are still selling for the sub-$2k prices people were asking in the late 2000s.

Reaction score
There are 3 universes for sale around my block, one Green Dot and 2 UV777P, one with LoPro and the other with Edge Pro... I don't need any but my curiosity pulls me towards the UV777P with the Edge Pro due to the possibility to mod it in order to install piezos in it as I did to my 1527... they're about the same price, minus a couple hundred for the LoPro loaded 777P...

What it the "magic" behind the Green Dot compared to the UV777P...?

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are 3 universes for sale around my block, one Green Dot and 2 UV777P, one with LoPro and the other with Edge Pro... I don't need any but my curiosity pulls me towards the UV777P with the Edge Pro due to the possibility to mod it in order to install piezos in it as I did to my 1527... they're about the same price, minus a couple hundred for the LoPro loaded 777P...

What it the "magic" behind the Green Dot compared to the UV777P...?
I have both, I prefer the feel of the 777p. It feels smoother. I believe the neck spec changed some for that model. Not a large sample size to pick from, but my 777p sounds and feels crazy good.

Reaction score
I have both, I prefer the feel of the 777p. It feels smoother. I believe the neck spec changed some for that model. Not a large sample size to pick from, but my 777p sounds and feels crazy good.
Yep, I know the UV777P specs changed a bit during the years regarding Neck dimensions, mostly its width at the neck joint. I have a 2000 UV, that I posted in the first page of the thread, hence my "I don't need any", but the pull is strong when seeing these guitars...

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yep, I know the UV777P specs changed a bit during the years regarding Neck dimensions, mostly its width at the neck joint. I have a 2000 UV, that I posted in the first page of the thread, hence my "I don't need any", but the pull is strong when seeing these guitars...
I used to own a 777BK and the AANJ obviously felt better but aside from that, I still prefer the green dot. Kinda hard to explain but the OG Uvs are just better IMO...

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's a valid opinion. Thanks for the perspective...
When I first held a PWH for the time, it was so special. I can't quite explain what it is but the OP kinda hits on it on his video. It just feels great and sounds great (even unplugged). I had thought it was the paint that made it special but the green dots are the same. They just play, sound and feel great. I guess it's one of those things that once you own one, you'll feel the same.....or maybe not. One way to find out. :D

77zark77

Reaction score
MetaVerse ! please pronounce it like "Metal Heart" from Accept (my pleasure)

Those have some strange mojo - any of 'em is not the exactely same but have the same kind of magic
My pleasure is to have a guitar that suits me perfectly and not being beautiful
Dents on the body of any of them is not a problem (back of the neck is another story)
Magic workhorse

77zark77

Reaction score
I thought about a lot of schemes to mod the PWH before the god of don't move anything hits me