Most Good Custom Builders Outside The US?

• Thread starter bmth4111
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bmth4111

Reaction score
Looking for a custom modern sevenstring builder and notice most of the sevenstring custom builders are not in the US.

Is this because there aren't many or what?
What are some amazing US custom seven string guitar builders that compete with brands like aristides, mayones, skervesen, aviator etc.

Attachments

• custom-guitar-builder-seven-string.jpg
    custom-guitar-builder-seven-string.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've ordered multiple Suhr 7s.

Really it just depends on what you want and how much you want to pay. There are hundreds of builders in the US making all kinds of guitars. While many don't explicitly offer 7s, many will build them when commissioned to.

bmth4111

Reaction score
I've ordered multiple Suhr 7s.

Really it just depends on what you want and how much you want to pay. There are hundreds of builders in the US making all kinds of guitars. While many don't explicitly offer 7s, many will build them when commissioned to.

Out of all the shops that's exist that one of the few that people really talk about

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Anderson used to make sevens.
Suhr makes sevens.

But no extended scales or fanned frets

Kiesel is clearly the big one.

Forshage, highline also make multiscale sevens.

Baker under whatever new company he is doing has headless sevens.

Downes guitars I think is Seattle based.

There are probably just as many smaller companies in the us as outside of it.

But they tend to be more traditional.

Also a lot of us companies imploded.

But your not wrong that on a whole us builders tend to be more traditional.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't Bernie back in business?

But hey... I'll build you whatever you want. Please Paypal gift me 50% up front. My goal is to have 147 builds done by the end of the month. It's just me so I won't be responding to your emails, because obviously I'll be busy. Hopefully I don't get sick *cough* or walk through a sliding glass door.

Yours truly,
SK

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Isn't Bernie back in business?

But hey... I'll build you whatever you want. Please Paypal gift me 50% up front. My goal is to have 147 builds done by the end of the month. It's just me so I won't be responding to your emails, because obviously I'll be busy. Hopefully I don't get sick *cough* or walk through a sliding glass door.

Yours truly,
SK

At least with this guy ^ you'll always know that, at any point, your guitar will be shipping in 2 weeks. Even 2 weeks from now. And two weeks from then.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I’d bet Kiesel is a big reason that there aren’t more extended range builders in the US. With their level of marketing and base prices it would be hard to compete. You guys also have Ernie Ball to. Your Ibanez 7s are cheaper compared to the EU. You also had Blackwater Guitars, Aaron built an incredible guitar way better than most of the EU guys but he’s dropped off the radar completely now.

You do have some options like Schecter custom shop, Abasi(If they can get guitars out), Jackson custom shop(I presume that’s in the US, Suhr, Drinkwater Guitars.

It’s probably because so many guitars were built in Asia or America that encouraged builders in the EU.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The smaller EU shops that have become popular in the ERG space in the last few years did so by specifically targeting it, as there was a hole in the market at the time. They sought out forums like this as well as artists who are popular within music scenes that flourish within.

The longer standing US custom shops are long since past needing to market that way.

Not that there isn't a galaxy of great US based builders who are more than willing to build 7s and beyond. Guys like TK, Myka, Artinger, Conklin, Baker, Toone, etc. will make anything.

Established mainstream shops like PRS, Jackson*, Schecter USA, ESP USA, Suhr, Anderson, and even Gibson are available as well.

* Not accepting orders right now.

bmth4111

Reaction score
Its seems outside of the major us brands there aren't many appealing custom builder. Most seem to have poor design, awkward shapes, or stick to vintage shapes. And many don't specifically offer 7 string guitars. A lot of the sites seem very old and almost abandoned.

Don't see many ranting and raving about many US brands either. Much more content and reviews available for non US brands (outside of the major ones).

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Its seems outside of the major us brands there aren't many appealing custom builder. Most seem to have poor design, awkward shapes, or stick to vintage shapes. And many don't specifically offer 7 string guitars. A lot of the sites seem very old and almost abandoned.

Don't see many ranting and raving about many US brands either. Much more content and reviews available for non US brands (outside of the major ones).

I mean things are only as well known as they are hyped.

I don't exactly know what you want from us here.

There are tons of boutique builders in the USA. Most of them don't do the hyped out stuff because they don't need to.

Suhr and Anderson together probably sell more guitars per year then all of the polish guys combined.

http://www.eqguitars.com is in mass.

It's also much much harder to be a successful 1 man or even small team in the USA.

If you sell 30 3000-4000 guitars a year in Poland you're doing really good.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Dunable build great instruments and while Sasha will complain, he WILL build you a seven if you pay for it :lol:

bmth4111

Reaction score
I mean things are only as well known as they are hyped.

I don't exactly know what you want from us here.

There are tons of boutique builders in the USA. Most of them don't do the hyped out stuff because they don't need to.

Suhr and Anderson together probably sell more guitars per year then all of the polish guys combined.

http://www.eqguitars.com is in mass.

It's also much much harder to be a successful 1 man or even small team in the USA.

If you sell 30 3000-4000 guitars a year in Poland you're doing really good.

Just trying to find good US modern seven string builders that can compete in terms of quality and design with companies outside the US. Atleast in the specific guitar style I'm looking for (aristides, mayones, skervesen, aviator, Blackmachine styles)

Ultimately would like to buy a custom US built guitar but can find many.

To bad suhr and Anderson body shapes are so clunky and unbalanced looking. Would like to try one sometime still.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Just trying to find good US modern seven string builders that can compete in terms of quality and design with companies outside the US. Atleast in the specific guitar style I'm looking for (aristides, mayones, skervesen, aviator, Blackmachine styles)

Ultimately would like to buy a custom US built guitar but can find many.

To bad suhr and Anderson body shapes are so clunky and unbalanced looking. Would like to try one sometime still.

You realize that black machine originated in England.

Would you ask Chevy to build you a jaguar.

If you want that style just go European.

If you really want something close but American then buy a kiesel.

Non-beveled Aries will get you close.

Don’t know which pictures of suhrs and Andersons your looking at.

I’m not the biggest fans of suhrs but my contoured + tummy cut Andersons are much more comfortable then my skervesens.

Unfortunately, he won’t build a real modern 7.

bmth4111

Reaction score
You realize that black machine originated in England.

Would you ask Chevy to build you a jaguar.

If you want that style just go European.

If you really want something close but American then buy a kiesel.

Non-beveled Aries will get you close.

Don’t know which pictures of suhrs and Andersons your looking at.

I’m not the biggest fans of suhrs but my contoured + tummy cut Andersons are much more comfortable then my skervesens.

Unfortunately, he won’t build a real modern 7.

Yeah, what's the point about the black machine?

Yeah that's kinda the conclusion I've been at. Just would like to be able to actually travel to one of these builders and interested in the options here.

Kiesel doesn't offer Floyd 7s so they aren't a option for me. And there work/customer service seems to be hit or miss.

The porpotions of the body to horns and is odd to me on the Andersons. Horns are way to short and body just looks elongated. suhr body's are pretty wide, dorky horns and large overall. I guess it's just the the US styling. However, Jackson/charvel body's are pretty nice.

oneblackened

Tube Amp Dork
Reaction score
Yeah, Equilibrium in Boston. www.eqguitars.com The styles might not be quite to your taste, but they're excellent instruments with a very solid array of options.

Beyond them you also have the Schecter Custom Shop, Mermet Guitars in California... and a bunch of others.