Most Haunting Delay Pedal Suggestions?

• Thread starter 0rimus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

0rimus

Reaction score
Finally got enough pieces to start putting together my pedalboard but picking a delay pedal has been stumping me; so I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask

Really just looking for some sad, broken, otherworldly delay tones, but without taking up a ton of room on my board or getting too expensive

After a few days of forum and YouTube scouring the top 2 contenders I've found are:

Earthquaker Ghost Echo and

Malekko LoFi Ekko E616 Mk 2

But I'm curious as what you guys think. Cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
I think to make delay really haunting it needs to work hand in hand with reverb.

I have a ghost echo, and it is more of a vintage reverb, and not really a delay. If you get that, and add the Malekko delay you could get haunting.

If you want one pedal, the EQD Dispatch Master has a nice lush reverb, and a good adjustable delay together. Definitely haunting capable.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I guess I think of "haunting" as being more about musical phrasing than about a specific delay pedal.

Could you put up some links to YouTube clips and music of where the delay sounds like what you want?

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
It looks like you're searching for a modulated delay, of which there are many.

Here's the early Ibanez DML.

TC Electronic Flashback has modulated toneprints available.

I think that if you're looking fir the most variety in one pedal space, you should consider the Zoom MS-70CDR. This demo is just of the various delays it can do, but it also covers modulations and reverbs.

Hopefully, knowing that it's specifically a modulated delay which is your target will help you find pedals which fit the bill.

Just FYI, often emulators of tape delays will also have modulation as part of their sound, so be sure to check out clones of things like the Echorec.

Happy listening!

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
the Ibanez ES-2 is a rly good delay, and has almost a full second of delay available, as well as a mod circuit and oscilation switch - that's a fun one, for spaceship noises

sylcfh

Reaction score
I find you can't truly have a haunting delay unless you have an amp that has haunting mids.

protest

Reaction score
Afterneath? It'a not technically a delay, but it makes everything sound like it could be in a horror movie. I think since you have a reverb already any delay would do as long as you make the reverb dark and washy and run them together.

0rimus

Reaction score
Whoo! Thanks guys. Yeah, I kinda knew what I was looking for already, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything. There's a ton of delays out there

Also, lets be honest, it's a fun topic to discuss

Anyone have the Digitech Obscura delay an chime in on how modulated/broken/lofi it can get? Most demos I've heard it stayed a bit too clean for what I want

sandalhat

Reaction score
I don't have any new information on the subject, but I wanted to thank you for asking the question. It turned me on to some cool new effects I hadn't heard before. I have a delay that is capable of some modulation but not quite like this.

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
EQD Disaster Transport is another great one to check out. The pitch based modulation is a nice touch that you don't find very often. The larger Disaster Transport Sr dives into some reverb, too.

oakentower

Reaction score
Also the Mr Black Ambient has an incredibly "haunted" quality to it l, especially coupled with a Supermoon. Magic ice glass crystal vast hallway tone. Here's a clip I recently recorded with the Ambient-Supermoon combo [soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/slicepaperdavid/iced-chariott[/soundcloud]

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I second the Malekko Ekkos and their variants. I've got the red one and love it.

For something more 'out there', check out the Red Panda Particle.

0rimus

Reaction score
the Ibanez ES-2 is a rly good delay, and has almost a full second of delay available, as well as a mod circuit and oscilation switch - that's a fun one, for spaceship noises

Oh man I forgot about this one! This was actually the first delay to catch my eye when I started looking, but at the time I was entertaining the idea of running a stereo rig, so without stereo ins/outs...

Since I've given up on stereo for the time being, the ES-2 might be what I go with, hard to beat being able to adjust delay time with your foot

Spaceship noises lol... I like it