Most overrated player

• Thread starter Metal-Box
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
I'm gonna second Dimebag. He was a solid player, but I think the main reason he gets so much recognition is because he died young, much like Kurt Cobain.

Tosin Abasi deserves all the recognition he gets because he's seriously just amazing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
+1 for Zakk Wylde. Everything about how he plays a guitar just annoys me.

Also Rusty Cooley. Yes, he can play very fast. What does he play? I dunno, I can't pay attention for more than 15 seconds.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Zakk Wylde, Joe Bonamossa, Jimmy Hendrix (I do credit him, though), Slash, Jack White, Jimmy Page, and maybe some others as far as actually over rated guitarists go.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
As far as the modern metal Internet buzz is concerned, the only one I feel comfortable mentioning is Tosin Abasi - I respect the guy as a musician, and he is a talented player with some cool tricks, but most of it sounds contrived if not uninspired to my ears. Not that I don't enjoy his music at all, but listening to his recordings was a let down for me after all of the praise I read/heard. For that matter, a lot of highly praised musicians end up being disappointing/seemingly overrated if they don't meet your tastes

sojourner

Reaction score
Buckethead

"master of over 20 genres..", "way more versatile & diverse than people like guthrie govan.."

seriously?

Bodes

Reaction score
I'm gonna second Dimebag. He was a solid player, but I think the main reason he gets so much recognition is because he died young....

You obviously are a youngin, Dimebag was a hugely respected guitarist from the early 90's onwards.

My vote towards Tosin Abasi. Talented guy, not my cup of tea.

Reaction score
XA32vbn.gif

s4tch

Reaction score
I agree with most of your list, but come on... :scratch:

...Jimmy Hendrix (I do credit him, though)...

He showed the world how to play an electric guitar. There are just a very few groundbreaking rock players who really did bring something new to the guitar world: Randy Rhoads, Van Halen, Malmsteen, Iommi, and of course Hendrix. He's not overrated, he's the number one in the Guitar Hall of Fame.

No, I don't love his music either. And yes, I can play most of his stuff. But he made a revolution. It's impossible to overrate him.

His first name is Jimi, btw.

Addison90

Reaction score
Buckethead, Tosin Abasi. Technically proficient players but sound robotic and dull

#IMOofcourse

rjnix_0329

Reaction score
There are responses here that are actually making me slightly nauseous. To each their own, but...ouch.

heregoesnothing

SS.org nub
Reaction score
There are just a very few groundbreaking rock players who really did bring something new to the guitar world: Randy Rhoads, Van Halen, Malmsteen, Iommi, and of course Hendrix.

You forgot Jeff Beck, Uli Jon Roth, Ritchie Blackmore, Frank Zappa & Duane Allman.. :(

Lickers

Destroyer of venues
Reaction score
Dimebag and Chuck from Death, people claim both of them as legends but iv never heard anything from either of them that wowed me:shrug:

Both are seriously accomplished rhythm players which is always overlooked. Whilst Schuldiner had great soloing capabilities, he wasn't a patch on Dimebag.

Objectively, there has been no-one to match him for his timing, control, melodic ear and outright passion for ripping it up on a guitar since he first burst onto the music scene.
I doubt very much that anyone will get to that level again in my lifetime.

Kiwimetal101

'Tread Lightly'
Reaction score
Jack White.. Just "meh" comes to mind

Misha Mansoor.. Like it was said before he writes some groovy as fvck riffs and has great producing skills, but nothing special as a guitarist

Kirk Hammett.. Never liked his solo's, ever

Kerry King.. Tight rhythm, but again never really got the solo's "trem wankery" comes to mind

IMHO ofcourse

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
You obviously are a youngin, Dimebag was a hugely respected guitarist from the early 90's onwards.

My vote towards Tosin Abasi. Talented guy, not my cup of tea.

Yeah, I just never got into Pantera. All his solos sound like a bunch of wah, trem wanking and really fast unmusical runs which doesn't really interest me.

Maniacal

Reaction score
Not sure how you can judge a guitarists true ability without actually sitting in a room with them for a few hours.

guitareben

Reaction score
I'm not sure this is a... healthy sort of thread... :p Kinda a bit negative XD

Status
Not open for further replies.