Mounting passives in EMG routes

Mukersman

Reaction score
Other than this mod (http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/se...ch/112866-mod-emg-covers-passive-pickups.html) which puts the passive pickup in an emg cover, is there a way to mount passives like dimarzios in emg routes? The main reason I care is pretty much just aesthetic, like for getting colored pups.

There is a thread in the workbench forum where I think someone is changing emgs to presumably passive lundgren pickups, but the pics are broken. I would check, but I'm on a school computer and it's unbearably slow.

anyhow, what are EMG 707s like for cleans and compared to other EMGs and passive pups?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
There are oversized pup rings that can do it, but I'm not sure where you can get them.

As far as 707s, you're gonna hear a lot of hate on their cleans, but I have great experience with them. Do they sound like a 1959 VOS LP? No. Do they sound good? Damn right they do. Well, they do in my Loomis (swamp ash).

Probably the "cleanest" EMG would be the 60 neck pickup, and I'm not sure if they have a seven string equivalent on the market. The 707 is very much similar to the 85 to my ears, but more clear.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
I liked the 707's well enough for cleans. My biggest problem with them was notes disappearing when hitting a intervalically wide chord- or a chord with more than 3 notes, when using distortion. But mainly, I just don't want to have to rely on batteries.

littlephil

Reaction score
Those rings will let you mount them (and cover up the ugly route), but you'll still need to remove a little wood for the mounting tabs of the pickup to fit, they're wider than the EMG route.

Also keep in mind you need to add a ground wire too, without a trem claw that can sometimes be a bit of a pain. If you have a string-through guitar, the rear ferrules are great for this, I used one of them on a Hellraiser C7 I was fitting Dimarzio's to for a customer, but that really only worked because the battery cavity was so close to the ferrules.

beneharris

Reaction score
Those rings will let you mount them (and cover up the ugly route), but you'll still need to remove a little wood for the mounting tabs of the pickup to fit, they're wider than the EMG route.
the guy i bought my crunchlab and liquifire from had trimmed down the tabs so they fit inside of the guitar with no wood modification. they will still fit inside of a regular passive route too, so that may not be a bad idea to look into

pathos45

Reaction score
look into the emg 81-7/60-7 for good lead/clean tones. Ive also heard great things about the blackouts i havent tried them but i hear they are more organic sounding than the emgs

littlephil

Reaction score
How do those mount on the inside of the EMG route?

I don't really see how they could, the rings mounting screws are further out than the pickup screw holes, and the ears on a passive 7 pickup are wider than an EMG 7 route, so I have no idea where he's getting that from.

Mukersman

Reaction score
Keep in in mind I'm a total noob here, but could a pickguard help mount the pickup at all? I really only thought of a pickguard for cosmetics reasons, and honestly, I don't even know how (or if) pups mount to a pickguard.

The guitar in question is a 7620 so it has a trem and is a rear routed guitar that normally doesn't have a pickguard, but I saw a few pictures of some 7620s with them.

littlephil

Reaction score
Yeah, a pickguard would work, plus it would cover up the excess route left over from the EMGs.
If its a 7620 you shouldn't have any problems mounting passives in there, they came with passives from the factory, so are already routed for passives. The routes will have been made bigger for EMGs to fit in there though.

Mukersman

Reaction score
Ok then I might get a pickguard for it if I get new pups. Other than the pickguard itself plus the screws, is there anything else I need to mount the pups?

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How do those mount on the inside of the EMG route?

My guess is they sit where the normal EMG mounting screws are, and you have to trim the PU tabs to use them. You could always ask him.

He also makes the oversized one that goes outside the EMG rout like Noodles had on that infamous Stars Soloist. That worked very well.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My guess is they sit where the normal EMG mounting screws are, and you have to trim the PU tabs to use them. You could always ask him.

He also makes the oversized one that goes outside the EMG rout like Noodles had on that infamous Stars Soloist. That worked very well.

Mike - I talked to Dave and he said that the rings hang on the outside of the route but are screwed into the body inside the EMG route.