Movies you've been watching...

nightflameauto

Reaction score
watching the Road House remake... It's alright but doesn't really need to exist imo. It's like the Point Break remake or the Robocop remake.
The music is way shittier than the original movie (which had a banging soundtrack). The fight scenes are handled well for the most part but there are some stupid POV cuts and weird jump cuts that just kill the flow of the action. There are some weird CGI bits that look bad (Post Malone fight at the beginning lol and the truck on the bridge scene) though. There's also some dumb CGI shit with an american crocodile and a speed boat.
It's lighter in tone and has some comedic bits in it compared to the original film. McGregor is having a fucking blast and chews scenery like mad as the main physical threat to Dalton. My biggest complaint so far is that they mangled Dalton's backstory and motivations, so it makes certain parts of the film make a lot less sense, like how he knows how to train and run a team of bouncers.

Overall it's like they wanted to take just the general idea of the original movie and the name cache to make a generic ass blockbuster action movie. MEH
The words "alright" and "Point Break Remake" do not need to be anywhere in proximity to each other. And I'm not even looking at it as a remake when I say that. It was an utterly disjointed mess of bro-cool action scenes with little to no connecting tissue. It made the original Point Break seem like fucking Willy Shakes in comparison. What a shame money and time were wasted on that piece of excrement.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
The words "alright" and "Point Break Remake" do not need to be anywhere in proximity to each other. And I'm not even looking at it as a remake when I say that. It was an utterly disjointed mess of bro-cool action scenes with little to no connecting tissue. It made the original Point Break seem like fucking Willy Shakes in comparison. What a shame money and time were wasted on that piece of excrement.
The only nice thing I can say about the point break remake is that it had some awesome action sequences but was otherwise dumb as shit. They completely mangled the whole reason Bodhi robbed banks (to do cool shit), which is exactly like how they mangled Dalton in the roadhouse remake. They tried to change shit and actively made the films even dumber than the originals.

What we really need is a Lawnmower man remake now that CGI isn't horrifically bad :lol:

nightflameauto

Reaction score
The only nice thing I can say about the point break remake is that it had some awesome action sequences but was otherwise dumb as shit. They completely mangled the whole reason Bodhi robbed banks (to do cool shit), which is exactly like how they mangled Dalton in the roadhouse remake. They tried to change shit and actively made the films even dumber than the originals.

What we really need is a Lawnmower man remake now that CGI isn't horrifically bad :lol:
Mangled the reason? Didn't bother with a reason? I literally don't remember there being a plot to the Point Break remake. Like, at all. Just action sequence, oooh explosion, action sequence, boobs, action sequence. Like, Michael Bay on coke level story.

I'm sure there's some nine year old that saw it and will want to make something even shittier in twenty years though.

I always loved Lawnmower Man, despite the crap CGI. Not sure who could play the lead now. I'm sure they'd grab some geriatric fuckstick that couldn't act as dumb as they are to save their life just to ruin the potential up-front.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

brector

Reaction score
I can't imagine anyone sitting down to watch a remake of Point Break. I mean the first one wasn't that good when it came out...

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I think a lot of those movies like PB and RH were more of a vibe than any kind of remarkable cinematic storytelling experience. Looking back it's like they are points of nostalgia for their time periods more than anything, with soundtracks and cinematic techniques which today are somewhat out of favor. It would take a lot of divergence from current filming approaches to even do a script worthy of it in the same suit.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
I've always loved the original Point Break. Def agree it's a film of its time like Roadhouse, but its still a great movie even now imo. Never needed to be remade. Loved Roadhouse as a kid not seen it years, doubt it's dated well, but ive absolutely zero interest in the remake.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
The Last Boy on Earth- if this is high concept I need to rewatch. Started out as a Bladerunner Slightly Expanded Umiverse thing with good fx then it was taken from me and went onto monsters, acid tripping in space, a captive boy, I squirrelled out and didn't finish.

Steo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Remakes in the house this weekend. My wife was curious about the Roadhouse remake. so we watched it. Bad, so so bad.
Then after I watched the Maniac remake from 2012. Was good, if flawed. The kills were so sloppy, he should have been found well before hand. Bonus for the practical f/x which is always a plus with me.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
The Last Boy on Earth- if this is high concept I need to rewatch. Started out as a Bladerunner Slightly Expanded Umiverse thing with good fx then it was taken from me and went onto monsters, acid tripping in space, a captive boy, I squirrelled out and didn't finish.
This sounds like the type of thing I'd like to be several gummies deep before watching, but I'd watch the hell out of it if I could find it in that state.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I'm thinking at some point I need to find Waterworld and double feature it with Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 to really increase the Dennis Hopper insanity. If I do, are any of you CHUDs going to watch as well? C'mom, don't be a bitch hog or you're going to have to buy me a new plate cover! (Bubba fucked up my Sonny Bono wig-do messing around with his saw.)

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I'm thinking at some point I need to find Waterworld and double feature it with Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 to really increase the Dennis Hopper insanity. If I do, are any of you CHUDs going to watch as well? C'mom, don't be a bitch hog or you're going to have to buy me a new plate cover! (Bubba fucked up my Sonny Bono wig-do messing around with his saw.)
Add Blue Velvet and Rivers Edge and I'm in

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Freelance- it was mildly entertaining. Not really funny enough to stand on its own as a comedy, but the action sequences were pretty good. Idk, I was expecting it to be a lot dumber of a movie than it really was.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
I watched Waterworld in the last year or two. It's exactly as ridiculous as I remember it. IDGAF what anyone says that movie's a classic.