Multiscale String Gauges

• Thread starter youngstary
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

youngstary

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi,
I wanted to buy a 25,5-27'' multiscale guitar and I wonder which gauges should I buy for Drop G# and Drop F#. Any experiences and recommendations?

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What Brand? StringJoy and Valium have string tension calculators on their sites. The Valium one is a little easier to use (it will calculate the intermediate scale lengths), but they're having a delay with shipping again.

youngstary

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What Brand? StringJoy and Valium have string tension calculators on their sites. The Valium one is a little easier to use (it will calculate the intermediate scale lengths), but they're having a delay with shipping again.

i dont live in the US so d'addario and ernie ball are the most obtainable here

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JimboLodisC

black Ibanez plz
Reaction score
Tension is a matter of preference. You have to know what you like in order to order what you need. If you have no clue, just use the current string gauges as a reference. If you want it looser, go with thinner gauges. Need more tension, grab thicker gauges.

youngstary

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tension is a matter of preference. You have to know what you like in order to order what you need. If you have no clue, just use the current string gauges as a reference. If you want it looser, go with thinner gauges. Need more tension, grab thicker gauges.
probably you're right but i just wanted to know others choices so i can try it out

JimboLodisC

black Ibanez plz
Reaction score
People use anything from a .059 to a .090 ... knowing that doesn't get you closer to knowing what *you* personally like for tension.

JimboLodisC

black Ibanez plz
Reaction score
If you need a starting point, look at what the guitar came with. Need more tension? Go thicker. Want it looser? Go thinner.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
There is so much more than tension to what makes a good set of strings. Folks normally like to stop talking strings right after it gets to gauge:tension specs because they can't read the reality of the strings' characteristics like it's the back of the box it came in while offering zero practical insight.

Unless you have a floating bridge or your neck is ridiculously thin you don't need and will not benefit from balanced tension strings. Most of them sound like ass for the money if you do have those problems, so regardless, if you want strings worth playing there are plenty of much better options.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
i dont live in the US so d'addario and ernie ball are the most obtainable here
1) I didn't catch the autocorrect of Kalium->Valium :lol:
2) D'addario has/had a string tension calculator too, but the last I checked, it didn't handle multi-scaled instruments.
3) There's a number of non-branded calculators that will get you reasonably close. Here's one: