My first 7 string - Dean Rusty Cooley RC7X

• Thread starter BluesPlayer76
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BluesPlayer76

Reaction score
Hey guys -

When I got my first 7 string, I was following Rusty Cooley closely. I could in no way afford his wildly painted top of the line $2900 Dean (or whatever price it was) made in USA guitar so I got the bottom end unit - the RC7X.

I had reservations about it - it was made in Indonesia I think. Then there was video footage of Rusty the man giving the specs on it - including Jumbo Frets. Then I got onto some forums - maybe this one, and the gear page, and Dean's rep for quality was in the litter box, they were livving off of the Dimebag legacy, and varying reports of the frets being Jumbo or not for RC7X buyers.

STILL I considered Rusty a perfectionist and the guitar had EMG pickups (with the trademark slant on the bridge PU) , a Floyd trem, and that HUGE cutaway that allows top access.

Even the delivery gal said to me "You got your wings!" as the box had Dean's logo on it.

1) The frets were NOT jumbo
2) The Floyd (Patented) trem was the worst I've ever experienced. I held a jam party at my house, and I was playing away with old friends, I grabbed the bar, used it, let it go and I felt something fall on my feet. It was the bar! I've owned Floyd, Kahlers (wouldn't stay in tune) and Ibanez trems and this won #1 spot on the worst.

I live in the SF bay area of Cali. I took it to the local yokel repair guys who gave me alternatives - "order a new bar", "use plumbers tape", etc. The bottom line is none of those worked.

I gave up - it looks cool on my wall though :) - see pic

I ended up later spending $2k on a JEM 7V7. Beautiful guitar, plays like a dream. (it's the white gtr that cut off in the pic)

I've never bought another Dean. And apparently neither does Rusty as he's gone to Ormsby, a much higher priced guitar. (Just checked the sight - AUD to US: AUD 2,495.00 = USD 1,712.47). I clicked the "SHOP RC" link on the Ormsby site and it goes to a new page saying "We can't find products matching the selection."

That is my saga on the RC7X. I should say I liked the tone and I'm tempted to pick it up and play it again. I also know a top notch tech guy who worked on my Vai Pia - but not sure this will be the next guitar I take to him.

EPILOGUE

During the pandemic I started watching videos by Fluff - guitarist from Dragged Under - and he doesn't use Dean and he doesn't use Tremolo bars but he demo'd one and I watched. In the live comments I posted an abridged version of the story above. Evan Rubinson - the new CEO of Dean, I learned, was there and replied to my post (I paraphrase) : "Sorry for your experience, I'm turning things around for Dean, and if you like the guitar Fluff is playing, I'll give you a deal on it".
Well, that was nice of him. I wan't rude or anything. So I found him on Twitter - approached him about the deal he offered me and that was it. He never followed up - or pass me to an assistant. The ONE time I was goind to give Dean a 2nd chance and it looked like ER made the offer in a public forum to impress everybody and didn't really care.

Attachments

• IMG_4006.jpg
    IMG_4006.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 142

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jco5055

Reaction score
I own the exact guitar myself! (Well not literally yours, but the model/color etc haha). I'm confused though, isn't the trem an actual OFR 7? At least mine is...does it say Floyd Rose on it? or does it say it's licensed?

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can remember taking lessons at a local Music Go Round when I was in High school/Just after high school. Rusty was one of the guitar instructors at that store. Came in one day with my best friend and he was just going to town with tapping, and legato riffs like I've never heard. He is insanely talented. As for the guitar glad you are enjoying it!

mrvomit

Reaction score
i have the white graphic "wraith" one. All the opposite ( is even too easy to play , has jumbo frets and everything looks spot on in q/c ) save for the floyd arm which was loosening ( common problem with every brand even original floyds have it ) ..took the "push in" arm replacement and now is on paar ( as playability) with any high end guitar i saw or tried . Seriously .
Usa dean i see here for 4k plus but did not compare though i saw it
I hate as hell the active pickups on it ( switched for fishmans ..still not liking it ) but that's just me probably .
THe stuff that happened with promoter offering you a deal sucks bad though .

So end of the story is to look for the "graphic ones" and avoid plain black ones.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
I can remember taking lessons at a local Music Go Round when I was in High school/Just after high school. Rusty was one of the guitar instructors at that store. Came in one day with my best friend and he was just going to town with tapping, and legato riffs like I've never heard. He is insanely talented. As for the guitar glad you are enjoying it!
same here when i lived in sping near woodlands! only studied with him for about 6 months but incredible lessons. Still have a notebook with the material and revisit his approach to scale patterns frequently.

Wynseun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
People poo on Indonesias guitars a lot, but they make some stellar instruments if you're willing to test before you buy. I've seen some real lemons, but I have also come across some real dogs out of the Gibson factory. The number of guitar brands I'd be happy to buy sight unseen I can count on one hand.

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
same here when i lived in sping near woodlands! only studied with him for about 6 months but incredible lessons. Still have a notebook with the material and revisit his approach to scale patterns frequently.

Small world lol I grew up in that area too and thought it was amazing how rusty was local

SVMMONYR

Reaction score
Havin owned the RC7x and currently owning 2 USA made RC7's I can say from my experience the difference between the import and USA models are night and day. I also have the Ormsby RC One which is also a great instrument although has some flaws (biggest being the neck dive, also the space between the bridge and neck pickup is so small that essentially it is impossible to play on that space so that you are essentially picking on top of the neck pickup which makes quite a bit of tonal difference compared to a standard spacing between pickups where you can "choose" where to pick). The import felt like a toy guitar compared to the usa models, the quality is amazing on those and are well worth the money if you can still find one to buy on the used market.