My first mod project (Carving Content inside, 56k= unfriendly)

• Thread starter Ruins
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ruins

Reaction score
i have finally decided to share some of my work. this is my first guitar carving project.
this is garbage dimavery
FR720EGUITAR7CORDES.jpg
that i have got my self a year ago from ebay for 60€ and by garbage i mean it is very badly made. it is impossible to bring the low B string in to intonation because there is not enough space to move the saddle back (even after removing the spring) not to mention it wasn't located straight. the neck pocket is full with lack and has many incorrect attempts to screw it down to body not to mention that weird uneven blocks in side the electronics cavity and dead spots on the neck.
so i have decided its going to be my test guitar.
IMG_6041.jpg

here you can see very well that the bridge was mounted by unexperienced person.
i have milled out the neck single coil cavity in to humbucker size
IMG_6045.jpg

i also ibanezied the headstock which also going to get some carving.
IMG_6100.jpg

first sketch for an idea
IMG_6103.jpg

3 days of work.
i haave decided to leave my first sketch and just let the work lead me and so far it goes great.
the hard part was to start it because it really loocked like i have ruined the damn thing but more and more work i have done clearer picture have started to appear and drive my imagination forward there is still much fine details to do.

this body officially made out of basswood which really doesn't look like or feel like its too soft its almost soft as balsa

by the way the flamed maple that you see on top is just a cheap print.

i know that when i will be done the guitar will look much more killer than what it will actually gona sound like but i knew what i was going for and as i said its my test guitar. and its a proof to my self that i can carve guitars too.

before you gona say something about i will say it my self, i was influenced by this guy who did the carving for Halo guitars and offcourse h.r. giger
being fan of him for several year now and drawing in his style as well the halo carved guitar was the final push for me to do it
i hope you like this picturs i will try to post more pictures the more i progress but it will take me some time this work requiers lots of time even with power tools (i am using carving knifs and dremel bore-machine )

D-EJ915

Forum MVP
Reaction score
While you lost me when you started diggin into the body it definitely looks better already

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sworth9411

Banned
Reaction score
definetly rad, I can't wait to see it when its done. Because bass wood is prone to chipping and flaking a creat way to really get great detail is wrapping sandpaper around various objects (pencils etc....)for that authentic organic biomechanical look it seems like you going for here.

Also Spray Laquer works great for covering areas you've already worked on and strengthening them a bit.

I love posts like this.

Ruins

Reaction score
Looks interesting :agreed: any more pics??
not yet i am going to take some as soon as there will be progress. hopefuly tomorrow i will get my ass working on it for another good 2-3 hours

While you lost me when you started diggin into the body it definitely looks better already
haha yeah agree

definetly rad, I can't wait to see it when its done. Because bass wood is prone to chipping and flaking a creat way to really get great detail is wrapping sandpaper around various objects (pencils etc....)for that authentic organic biomechanical look it seems like you going for here.

Also Spray Laquer works great for covering areas you've already worked on and strengthening them a bit.

I love posts like this.
yeah man i have noticed that too. i am suspecting that the basswood on this one is very low quality cause its VERY soft and when i work on it with dremel it gets sandy around the drill its almost posible to stroke it with the fine files it makes the job smooth as well.

well next time i will take some harder wood. i really enjoyed working with swamp ash its nothing like basswood.

Its have big potential, good luck:yesway:

Justin Bailey

Reaction score
this thing is going to be such a dominator when it's done, fucking awesome job, man!

Ruins

Reaction score
that looks awesome.

this thing is going to be such a dominator when it's done, fucking awesome job, man!

awesome work! i love giger also.

jym

Amazing work :yesway:

That carving is cool. This is gonna look badass. :metal:
thanks guys

lol this to get less weight true? :d

good job
no, right now barely any weight difference is noticeable. i think it will be towards the end but not that much.

UPDATE
i have done few more sketches on the side of the lower cutaway
i haven't done any fine details yet there is still so much to do.
IMG_6104.jpg

IMG_6105.jpg

IMG_6106.jpg

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
How do you plan on smoothing out the edges and stuff when it's all finished, or are you going to leave it as is?

cataclysm_child

SS.org UnRegular
Reaction score
That's awesome, I almost jsut think you should leave it at that, haha. It's like the skin is cut of and you can see some bones or something.