My modded Charvel.

• Thread starter yellowv
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if I have shown this one ever, but it's been modded over the few years I owned it. Started as a worn grey Ash San Dimas. I first got the cool Walnut bobbin Guitarmory Atlas pickups for it, then that led me down a path of wanting aged copper hardware. Had no luck finding an aged copper Floyd so I just did the fine tuners and arm. Also aged the knobs and strap buttons. Never could find tuners in the right finish either. Then an aged copper OFR finally fell in my lap. I also found the matching nut and string retainer and finally found tuners as well. Now it's all done and I love it. Another cool thing is I was also able to repurpose the stock Floyd 1000 on my EVH Wolfgang Standard that had a junk Floyd Special.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Very cool and industrial looking with the copper on grey ash. Were the tuners a Gotoh run? I recall some off colors that Gotoh did through a few Japanese shops a few years back. The "satin cosmo" tuners that I grabbed for my koa acoustic are my all-time favorite tuners, but I almost went copper on those; either would have looked great against koa... something about that coppery look plus grey though...

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Very cool and industrial looking with the copper on grey ash. Were the tuners a Gotoh run? I recall some off colors that Gotoh did through a few Japanese shops a few years back. The "satin cosmo" tuners that I grabbed for my koa acoustic are my all-time favorite tuners, but I almost went copper on those; either would have looked great against koa... something about that coppery look plus grey though...
No Gotoh stopped making them a while ago. These are actually Gotoh knockoffs made by Guyker. I don't usually buy knockoff stuff but I figured I would try them and if they were junk I could at least just use the buttons. They seem at least as good as any of the Korean made OEM lockers I have tried (Charvel, schecter, etc.).

mastapimp

Reaction score
You did post this guitar before with the aged fine tuners and inspired me to mod mine with copper hardware back in the summer of 2020. It's mostly a mix of floyd rose and schaller...had to get the tuners from France and Germany (I have 2 spares now due to shipping errors). Got a copper back plate and output jack from China. I ended up painting/sealing the bobbins and selector on mine.

after1.jpg

after4.jpg
after5.jpg

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I might have missed it but I could only find Aged Bronze on Floyd's site alolng with a few pretty cool relic finishes. Is Copper gone?

mastapimp

Reaction score
I might have missed it but I could only find Aged Bronze on Floyd's site alolng with a few pretty cool relic finishes. Is Copper gone?
It wasn't available on FR website when I got my parts 2.5 years ago. Had to get it through old stock from some online music stores (SportHiTech, ZoZo Music). The Schaller stuff in vintage copper was even more of a struggle to get a hold of and I had to get some of the items from France and Germany. If you want the contacts of the stores I used for the non-floyd parts I can look up the receipts and email you.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah they don't make the aged copper OFR anymore. I happened to have a guy offer me a used one and at a great price to boot. Also damn it mastapimp now I need a neck plate and jack plate and switch tip. Lol

mastapimp

Reaction score
Yeah they don't make the aged copper OFR anymore. I happened to have a guy offer me a used one and at a great price to boot. Also damn it mastapimp now I need a neck plate and jack plate and switch tip. Lol
I couldn't find the selector tip so I just took the black plastic one, scuffed it up, painted it with some bronze/copper/silver acrylics, then clear-coated it.

I'll try to find the jack and neck plate and DM you the links if they're still up.

diogoguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
very very cool!
(Did you remove the "made in mexico" part from the face of the headstock?)