N(u)GD: MiJ Ibanez Content - RG520

• Thread starter porknchili
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

porknchili

G.A.S.ITIS
Reaction score
For the past few months, I was obsessed with getting an RG570 that I saw at my somewhat local music store in like February. That day, I ended up buying an Ibanez RG550XH, though I was incredibly tempted to get the cheaper, used, "RG570" instead. This week, because I'm helping my dad out with filing medical charts/getting ready to enter them for a study, I was given the green light to get that RG570. However, I kept thinking that maybe it wasn't an RG570. The only things I actually remembered were that it had an Edge bridge, was blue, and had a 3 piece maple/bubinga neck. When I got there, I realized that I apparently suck with numbers, and it was actually an Ibanez RG520 (exact same aside from the pickup configuration and body woods).

Anyways, here are some pictures...

h1DbDtP.jpg

Q2nFSnL.jpg

3r8tdXC.jpg

F9SzYgc.jpg

qWFrYEG.jpg

Thoughts:

1. The neck on this is amazing: There was an RG652K in the store as well as an RG920QM so I compared their neck profiles with the RG520's super wizard. Long story short, the RG520 feels thinner (until the 12th fret against the 652K where it feels just a TAD thicker) and more comfortable than the other two. Also, it feels a bit more solid than both, but I'd wager that's due to the big stripe of bubinga.

2. I have a pretty bad memory: I originally was going to buy this because I thought it was in really bad shape and had rust everywhere. Thought it has some dents and chips in the lacquer as well as some discoloration on the hardware, it's actually in pretty good shape. Still, I'll probably spend the rest of the week fixing all the dents and polishing all the hardware.

3. Upgrades: I checked out the electronics on this and, to be honest, they are cheap as hell. With that said, I'll be doing the following upgrades:

- Replace the tuners with Gotoh SGL510Z locking tuners
- Replace the pickups with a PAF Joe in the neck and an Evolution in the bridge (Richie Allan :bowdown: )
- Dimarzio Cliplocks
- CLR 3 way lever switch
- 2 Bourns push-pull pots (going to wire it up to coil split for the North neck coil and South bridge coil)

4. It's really hard to see stuff: The top on this is pretty hard to see and the dark blue color they used doesn't help at all. However, the veneer is incredibly dull and I literally cannot tell if it is quilted maple or not. In terms of the body, the mahogany is pretty good quality from what I can tell.

Overall, I'm happy with this and I can see why people jump to buy old MiJ Ibanez guitars. While I'm less than excited to start repairing it and replacing the crap electronics, it's a small price to pay (in reality, all the upgrades are gonna be pretty expensive lol).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gclef

Reaction score
That is an rg520qs! Made in '99 and '00.
The body is sapele (an African variety of mahogany) with a quilted sapele top (veneer).

They were the poor man's rg3120 at the time.

I have a trans black one from '99. It is the only guitar I have that sounds great with any pickups I install in it.

I currently have a Norton and the stock v7 neck pickup. I put them back in after a short stint of experimenting. I did swap the alnico 5 magnet from the v8 bridge pickup into it. It sounds even better.

Excellent guitar!
Enjoy!

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
Very nice :) Congrats! Wish the figuring had some more contrast. How is the guitar? Is it heavy?

gclef

Reaction score
Very nice :) Congrats! Wish the figuring had some more contrast. How is the guitar? Is it heavy?

The blue ones didn't really pop. The black ones were better but looks brown.

They are heavy in general compared to basswood RGs. Mine weighs more than 9 lbs

porknchili

G.A.S.ITIS
Reaction score
That is an rg520qs! Made in '99 and '00.
The body is sapele (an African variety of mahogany) with a quilted sapele top (veneer).

They were the poor man's rg3120 at the time.

I have a trans black one from '99. It is the only guitar I have that sounds great with any pickups I install in it.

I currently have a Norton and the stock v7 neck pickup. I put them back in after a short stint of experimenting. I did swap the alnico 5 magnet from the v8 bridge pickup into it. It sounds even better.

Excellent guitar!
Enjoy!

Thanks for the info man! I'm actually kind of glad that it isn't a figured maple top since too many guitars have those kinds of tops. Also, I like the sound of the V7, but I actually like the INF8 from my RG550XH moreso than the V8 (won't be using it though with the dimarzios coming in).

It's medium-heavy: about the same as my Ibby S.