NAD: Madison Divinty III

Moolaka

Reaction score
Members/Gear | Facebook

Just picked it up from a GC, it had obviously gigged quite a lot so it's almost beat to shit. The shell needs work, it took a spill on one of the corners and split the wood a bit, the corner bracket screw holes need filling (stripped), the plexi faceplate is a bit askew, knobs not perfectly straight spinning, stuff like that. I plan on getting a new shell made for it and keeping the original (where am I gonna find one otherwise?) because at this point it's structurally weakened. It's got EH el34's and 12ax7's, they sound good as tubes go, obviously reliable, but I feel inclined to go with Tung Sol el34's, Gold Lion 12ax7g's and a rebias. I suspect it has factory bias settings because it runs noticeably warmer than my Dual Rec (which runs a tad cold with 6l6GC's) and would be in line with my Divinity I's factory setup.

It weighs 52 lbs. I don't like lifting it at all, ever. It sounds AMAZING. Like, make you wanna punch somebody's grandma, amazing. The Edge (Gain) chans are superb for articulation but retains a saturated and almost sagging quality, giving it a perfect bite for percussive elements and fluid round tones for single notes. It doesn't shimmer like my Mesa at all but it also doesn't have the fizzy high freq drone to the upper gain settings. Comparatively the DIII growls more from the gain structure's low end and mids where the Dual Rec seems more even and "traditionally musical", for lack of a better phrase. The Madison shits all over the Rec's cleans, back and forth, up and down, over and under and leaves it in the dirt. I like a clean jazzy tone and this amp nails it in every way. The Rec does more with it's cleans stylistically and with a good rig I'm betting you could get damn close to the Divinty jazz tone but personally I'm in love with the DIII's offerings. It responds in ways that I look for, I like being able to make smaller and softer sounds within some riffs, especially acoustic arrangements where I like to shed any FX compression and the Divinity smokes the Rec for that. It's percussive with the smallest hint of top end sparkle and a round middle, it's by far my favorite thing about this amp.

Inside was clean as a whistle and I'm betting if I put the logo light on a battery and switch a bit of the hum will go out of the amp. It's not bad at all, better than most high gain amps and I easily dialed it out almost completely through my rack. It also took almost no time to dial in a viable tone, forget that on a Mesa (I've had mine for 2 years and I'm still tweaking knobs in the middle of songs.) but forget getting what the Rec is capable of from a Madison.

All in all, it's my favorite amp hands-down. I plan on using both the Mesa and the DIII live but we'll see how it all fits in with the band, I also have KT88's in my DI at home that I'd like to give some band time before I put it up for awhile again.

120 watts, reverb, fx loop, 4/8/16 ohm, extension jack, 7 pin switch with 10,000' cable, ind. eq per each of the 3 channels, high/low inputs. Awesome metal and jazz amp.

Does anyone have any info on the DIII? I have a schematic for the DI and some voltage specs but have largely come up empty on the III. Any info is appreciated, it needs a lot of TLC if I'm gonna save it going the way of the buffalo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
388591_315797828439528_144181675601145_1206950_1424762133_n.jpg

Congrats. :yesway:

I still haven't come across one of these in the wild to try out.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
photo.php

Inside was clean as a whistle and I'm betting if I put the logo light on a battery and switch a bit of the hum will go out of the amp.

Does anyone have any info on the DIII? I have a schematic for the DI and some voltage specs but have largely come up empty on the III. Any info is appreciated, it needs a lot of TLC if I'm gonna save it going the way of the buffalo.

They never sent out full schematics but I can help shed light on some of the things you brought up/mentioned. On any of the Divinity 2/3 channels with the silver faceplate the light would make it hum and if you unplugged the light it stopped but the actual II and III (black faceplate) like you've got there should have the LED faceplate which didn't cause a hum. They have a higher plate voltage and bias pot in them never had the range it needed to run 6l6's correctly unless you liked it really hot. If you change the tone stack to be Fender styled (like your Mesa so when tone knobs are on 0 no noise comes out) it makes a big difference in getting even more/better tone from the amp.

Moolaka

Reaction score
They never sent out full schematics but I can help shed light on some of the things you brought up/mentioned. On any of the Divinity 2/3 channels with the silver faceplate the light would make it hum and if you unplugged the light it stopped but the actual II and III (black faceplate) like you've got there should have the LED faceplate which didn't cause a hum. They have a higher plate voltage and bias pot in them never had the range it needed to run 6l6's correctly unless you liked it really hot. If you change the tone stack to be Fender styled (like your Mesa so when tone knobs are on 0 no noise comes out) it makes a big difference in getting even more/better tone from the amp.

Thanks for the tip man. Yea, my DI's the silverface in that same album, didn't mess with the logo components because I didn't want to balls anything up but now I'll make sure I get around to it. Others have mentioned your tonestack idea and while I have done it I don't preffer it. The shape control isn't as broad as I'd like but 9/10 times that's the knob getting fiddled with.

@cyril, Rarely see em up for sale either so I had to scoop this one. Thanks for the help with that pic man.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
AHHH, it's a beautifull thing indeed.
I'd be very interested to know how it sounds in relation to that road king.
Great evil-vibed score.

edit; good tone descriptions above

RiffRaff

Reaction score
I have one of these as well and fuck me, it slays! :yesway:

When I first got it, I found it much easier to dial in a really nice clean tone compared to a dirty tone but once you tweak long enough, you can get it to rip your face off.
You're right about it being a heavy fucker though, almost did my back the first time I picked it up off the floor. :lol:

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip man. Yea, my DI's the silverface in that same album, didn't mess with the logo components because I didn't want to balls anything up but now I'll make sure I get around to it. Others have mentioned your tonestack idea and while I have done it I don't preffer it. The shape control isn't as broad as I'd like but 9/10 times that's the knob getting fiddled with.

@cyril, Rarely see em up for sale either so I had to scoop this one. Thanks for the help with that pic man.

That's because they constantly changed the shape control because the owner claimed when it had full sweep it "had the ability to sound bad." The example I was told is some local band buys the head and has horrible tone cause they cut all the mids out...a shop owner comes in hears it and never wants to carry the product now. The reason barely any shops wanted to carry them is because all you had to do with email the owner and he'd sell you the amps direct at dealer price which pissed off dealers and you had all these kids running around claiming to be endorsed. You can just change the resistor on it and get more sweep out of it., He also shipped a bunch of those with gain boosts and mid shifts added on.

Funny at not seeing them up for sale it took me forever to sell mine but that's cause nobody ever has money. I'm still sitting on a brand new matching D2 Cab (V30's), and a Divinity 12 Combo.

Moolaka

Reaction score
Funny at not seeing them up for sale it took me forever to sell mine but that's cause nobody ever has money. I'm still sitting on a brand new matching D2 Cab (V30's), and a Divinity 12 Combo.

Oh yea, been ages since I've seen that thread.

Thats a pretty gnarly setup

Thanks dude, that Agile needs leveling and recrowning, the frets came stock in horrible shape. I saw you have an Agile, was wondering if you have the same problem. It's not too bad, could be much better though.