NAD: PRS Archon

• Thread starter sevenfoxes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
This is actually my second time owning the Archon mkii 50w. The first one I had several months back was defective, so I had to send it back.

Needless to say, I’ve sorely missed this amp ever since, and as much as I love my 5150 collection, the Archon sonically fills a void.

I also used the FM3 for a short period, and while the Archean model is excellent on that, it’s not exactly the same when it comes to the response and dynamics of the real deal. The tone of the FM3 is also influenced by the power amp you use, so again, just not entirely the same thing.

Overall, this amp is simply amazing. The gain structure is pretty unique in that it seems to posses the best qualities of a recto and a 5150, maybe there’s even a little Uberschall thrown in for good measure.

The Archon doesn’t have the aggression of a recto, as it’s much smoother, but It’s also much easier to dial in than a recto. You won’t find yourself fiddling with knobs all day chasing your tone. It’s much more like a 5150 in that sense: plug and play.

While not quite as tight as a 5150, it’s still plenty tight, and seems to possess that classic 5150 grind to a certain extent, which is awesome!

The only con I can think of is that the fx loop is noisy, and for whatever reason, all Archons, as well as the MT15 suffer from the noisy fx loop. It’s like pure hiss as soon as you engage a pedal. Fortunately, the easy remedy is to swap out the fx loop tube with a 12au7, and the problem is pretty much solved.

But overall, this amp is something special. Take the fat low mids of a recto, the near tightness and grind of a 5150, the cleans of a Twin Reverb, and the best attributes of a 6l6 and el34, and you’ve got yourself the Archon mkii 50w. It’s just one hell of amp, especially for the price.

743B7E7B-FDBB-48B8-8E8C-BA25CDC3CBFB.jpeg

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Awesome, congrats! I love mine too! The cleans are good, a little pokey and very clean but nice. I love the lead channel a lot, sounds so broad and fat. Cranking the treble and presence really opens the amp up.

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
Awesome, congrats! I love mine too! The cleans are good, a little pokey and very clean but nice. I love the lead channel a lot, sounds so broad and fat. Cranking the treble and presence really opens the amp up.
Thanks, Jon!

(Currently watching your RedSeven Leviathan video as I type this, what a freakin sweet looking and sounding amp!)

Anyway, yeah, the Archon has definitely become one of my all time favorite amps. I love how fat and thick the notes are, and the note separation is also excellent. The leads are just as good the rhythms, and the cleans are so nice they even make my Blackouts sound good lol.

Just an all around awesome amp that checks all the boxes for me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Thanks, Jon!

(Currently watching your RedSeven Leviathan video as I type this, what a freakin sweet looking and sounding amp!)

Anyway, yeah, the Archon has definitely become one of my all time favorite amps. I love how fat and thick the notes are, and the note separation is also excellent. The leads are just as good the rhythms, and the cleans are so nice they even make my Blackouts sound good lol.

Just an all around awesome amp that checks all the boxes for me.

I hear you! I rank mine pretty high on the list too! :)

PK317

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One of my favorites as well. Super pedal friendly and surprisingly it has very nice clean channel. I didn't expect that at all. :)

I keep hearing about the noisy loop issue, but mine doesn't have such a problem. First time I engaged the loop it was noisy, then I just plugged in the power supply of the pedalboard in a different AC socket (the one that Archon was plugged in as well, with a power strip) and that solved the problem. So I guess it was some kind of ground loop.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Congrats! I'll need to play around with the Archean model a bit. I'm curious how it'll be through the Powerstage and Mesa 4x12. And I need to mess with the new input dynamics on the FM9. I already think the feel and dynamics are there but I'm curious how that impacts them.

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
Congrats! I'll need to play around with the Archean model a bit. I'm curious how it'll be through the Powerstage and Mesa 4x12. And I need to mess with the new input dynamics on the FM9. I already think the feel and dynamics are there but I'm curious how that impacts them.
I think it’ll get pretty close! I used to run the FM3 through the Powerstage as well, and yeah, it got close, tonally speaking. I couldn’t quite match the response and dynamics though, but it wasn’t a huge difference.

It got scary close when I ran the FM3 through the Archon itself though, maybe even better in some cases because the FM3 gives your more sculpting and shaping options than the amp itself does.

You’ll have to let me know how it goes!

Gmork

Reaction score
I decided long ago i need an archon. Closest ive gotten to playing one is the model on line6 metalurgy plugin, dont kniw how close that was but it sounded incredible and just reading all i have makes it sound right up my alley!
Once im done paying off my fender pro reverb ill likely start financing either the archon or 5150 iconic. Cant wait!

Mourguitars

Reaction score
Congrats on the Archon !

I have the first one that came out , i love it for the early 00's Medalcore era stuff...with the Mudkiller pedal and its a keeper

I use the Power Station for the loop with it ...loop is horrible on it but its awesome amp for sure

Enjoy !

Mike

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
Love this amp. I run one of the MkI combos with my FM3 in 4CM and it rips with the Precision Drive model tightening it up too - full 5150 mode at that point.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They have one at my local shop where I also got my PRS 2x12 cab . I'm holding out for a Tremonti head though . Maybe if I can get a deal or sale on an Archon I'd grab it . Anything PRS is good stuff .

Latest posts