NAM Pedal Coming?

• Thread starter ExMachina
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
God damnit, I feel like a boomer can't post the stupid link

cmpxchg

Reaction score
I've been putting off porting NAM to phones, maybe I should finally do that

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Interesting. It's going to have to be priced pretty aggressively to compete with ToneX Pedal, which is basically its main competitor.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Interesting. It's going to have to be priced pretty aggressively to compete with ToneX Pedal, which is basically its main competitor.
Nam being open source could also be appealing to some. It's like a Linux vs Windows thing.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For those without Facebook, what is in that link?

I wonder since the project is open source we might see the JOYO’s of the world making NAM compatible pedals. There is not a lot stopping them from doing so.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Nam being open source could also be appealing to some. It's like a Linux vs Windows thing.
I work in software and open source on a product like this doesn't really appeal to me. I see NAM as a plugin for people who like tinkering with things and enjoys the struggles of getting things working optimal on their machine. I don't think it's really something that has a mass market appeal, especially when it's going up against a big company like IK who has been doing modeling and guitar plugins longer than almost everyone.

NAM will likely remain better because it's open source and there's more available devs who are passionate about the product, but it's a very niche product for most musicians. The only way it will make a dent in the amount of ToneX users is if it is priced really low. You said it yourself, it's kind of like a Linux vs Windows/Apple thing - the amount of musicians who want to use Linux for their machine is very, very low - I suspect NAM is interesting to most people in this way because it's free and open source - then they read the getting started guide and gloss over the instructions and realize they'd rather just buy the ToneX Pedal and click on an installer and be in business :lol:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Agreed. There's an economies of scale thing, too. It's difficult to think that the best consumer option is going to be a boutique, barebones, buggy pedal with essentially no customer support, running NAM in a minimal environment, vs., as mentioned before, JOYO or any other established company integrating these types of models into some proprietary pedal by experienced engineers. That includes how the margins will work -- so would you want to pay more for less? That will be the NAM pedal solution.

I have tinkered and even published in this open sourcey amp simulation space before, and while I did and still do want to open source things, it's depressing that the only outcome I see from releasing this stuff is you essentially enable existing companies to leverage some ML knowledge without making those investments themselves, but it is what it is. Then again, at this point, it's not like these models are innovative or difficult to understand, either. The difficulty actually isn't in the amp modeling, it's in the product and device side.