NAMM 2020: New Decade, New GAS

• Thread starter Backsnack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
I recant my previous statement regarding wanting an Orange of some description - A MkII Katana 50 or 100. Just back from trying one out IRL. Holy shit, did not know it was THAT easy to get them to sound good

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
I recant my previous statement regarding wanting an Orange of some description - A MkII Katana 50 or 100. Just back from trying one out IRL. Holy shit, did not know it was THAT easy to get them to sound good
For the price it seems difficult to fault the Katana series for much at all.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That was cool. I didn't see half of these mentioned in the official announcements.

Yeah I had to do some googling to even find out what the guitar was. I saw the announcement for the new Majesty colors but somehow missed that one.

I was confused, as well, but he’s referencing Vik. There was a post a before his about Vik.

Yeah he went on a rather extensive rant some time ago about how he hated gay people and would refuse to build for someone if he knew they were gay etc etc etc. Then of course later made a half-assed apology after it blew up on him.

Shask

Reaction score
The Katana is amazing for what it is. I have had a head since the beginning. Some days I think about selling it because I use my more expensive stuff more, and other days I think about selling my expensive stuff because the Katana is not far behind for a lot less $$.

I had this moment again the other day because I finally sat down to update it to 4.0. It is amazing how much more it can do now vs. back on version 1.0. I am anxious to try it as a poweramp with the new slave mode.

Snarpaasi

Reaction score
Saw Steel Panther two days ago and Charvel just came out at NAMM with a new purple stripes Satchel model in matte. Dayum, I haven't had a GAS in a while!

Bearitone

Reaction score
Shit, another one?
Oh well, better to have more options on the market than less.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
It's just putting two of his older modded marshall channels together in one package.

Truth, but it’s still highly attractive. Especially if the price holds at around $3k. I’ve been flirting with diving in on a Fortin and this might push me. The Cali just seems too bright, but I guess that’s a bit relative with Fortin after playing some of his modded amps and a Satan 120.

Damnit NAMM GAS in the amp department is huge. Diezel mini, Fortin Evil Pumpkin & Sigil, Soldano, Fryette Deliverance 2, and all the Synergy pre-amps... woof. Synergy may actually save my wallet a bit, and I know what to expect. I love what I’ve tried running through my KSR & Driftwood FX loops. For once Friedman isn’t driving me nuts so I can focus on other stuff... or picking up a used Butterslax to add to the JJ-100...

Not a single guitar peaked my interest. I dig what I have or have already ordered/deposited on. The Vai Pia seems cool, and I’m always game to try new pickups. But nothing else is a “must have”.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Truth, but it’s still highly attractive. Especially if the price holds at around $3k. I’ve been flirting with diving in on a Fortin and this might push me. The Cali just seems too bright, but I guess that’s a bit relative with Fortin after playing some of his modded amps and a Satan 120.

Damnit NAMM GAS in the amp department is huge. Diezel mini, Fortin Evil Pumpkin & Sigil, Soldano, Fryette Deliverance 2, and all the Synergy pre-amps... woof. Synergy may actually save my wallet a bit, and I know what to expect. I love what I’ve tried running through my KSR & Driftwood FX loops. For once Friedman isn’t driving me nuts so I can focus on other stuff... or picking up a used Butterslax to add to the JJ-100...

Not a single guitar peaked my interest. I dig what I have or have already ordered/deposited on. The Vai Pia seems cool, and I’m always game to try new pickups. But nothing else is a “must have”.
I'm in the same boat. Nothing but some of the amps on display really got me excited. The only guitar that intrigues me is the new Sully Elita baritone. I need more baritone explorers in my life :lol:
I'm definitely interested in the Evil Pumpkin since I dig the sound of both of those channels, but there's a couple other amps on my hit list that are way more interesting to me (namely the MI Beta and the Omega Iridium). I'd love a Driftwood as well but I feel like it'd be pretty redundant between my FSM and XXX. Those pretty much cover that 5150/tight and bright vibe more than adequately.

Last edited:

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
I'm in the same boat. Nothing but some of the amps on display really got me excited. The only guitar that intrigues me is the new Sully Elita baritone. I need more baritone explorers in my life :lol:
I'm definitely interested in the Evil Pumpkin since I dig the sound of both of those channels, but there's a couple other amps on my hit list that are way more interesting to me (namely the MI Beta and the Omega Iridium). I'd love a Driftwood as well but I feel like it'd be pretty redundant between my FSM and XXX. Those pretty much cover that 5150/tight and bright vibe more than adequately.

Yup, agreed. I’m good with the Custom Mini-nightmare I picked up; it’s loaded with every feature and is a go to for me. Worth grabbing if you can find a good used one, but that tone spectrum you have covered.

Just saw the rundown of the ENGL Fireball 25. Welp, that’s a fanboy purchase that will happen now. Glad they used 6L6’s. My wallet isn’t but so I just say “because ENGL”. I miss my Ironball (and yes saw the new one too), but I just don’t dig EL84s. The Ironball and JJ-Jr are the only EL84 amps I could ever stand (and actually enjoy, save the “oomph” and bite missing). 6V6s are a bit better to my ears, less polite and rounded, but when they can run full size tubes I don’t know why they don’t.