Nate's Home Depot challenge build

• Thread starter DandHcostoms
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DandHcostoms

Reaction score
Wow man, I only just switched onto this. Most impressive, and I generally like guitar designs that are 50+ years old.

The bridge is class man, serious class as is the wood selection and the 4ply binding. One question though, your heal block looks really thin and super comfortable, but how does it hold up under the combined pressure of the 6 screws?

Is there some kind of reinforcement, or am I just underestimating the strength of wood :)

looking forward to see it functioning.
Thanks man!
The heel is pretty thin i believe it's right at 3/8" thick, I haven't noticed it being under to much pressure however I guess I'll find out once I get all the strings on it. A lot of this guitar is new to me so I'm not sure if everything will work as I hope I will

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Your local depot has maple? :eek: Jealous!

Superb shape and colour man, absolutely love it. Although I reckon black metal knobs would finish her off perfectly.

I find it hard to get my head around the fact that in the US you can walk into a DIY store and buy exotic timber. Its Pine or nothing over here :(

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
I find it hard to get my head around the fact that in the US you can walk into a DIY store and buy exotic timber. Its Pine or nothing over here :(

On sale next to the Bones of Somebody Else's Ancestors at the place they built on the Ancient Burial Mound. I usually just stop the truckers for timber as they haul giant redwoods down to the toothpick factory. :lol:

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
On sale next to the Bones of Somebody Else's Ancestors at the place they built on the Ancient Burial Mound. I usually just stop the truckers for timber as they haul giant redwoods down to the toothpick factory. :lol:

Now why do I actually believe that :rolleyes:

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score

Well, I live in the US, and in all the home improvement stores here, they only have red oak, poplar, pine, and framing timber like douglas fir. They do have some redwood (not giant redwood) fence posts, but that's all.

It's a pretty crap selection at Home Depot and Lowe's. But up in "The City" (Oklahoma City) there are a few proper lumberyards that have exotic African and South American woods, and a pretty proper selection of figured domestic maple.

Actually I think you can order stuff like Purpleheart and Mahogany from Home Depot's web site. But they don't have it in most stores.

DandHcostoms

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've posted here. I haven't had a chance to get very much more work done.

i did however get it clear coated and oiled so that's where it's sitting now. I test fit the hardware to make sure very thing was going to work I intended it to and well it doesn't... I had to rework the head piece so that each string is individually held in place which was a simple enough fix.

However the bridge was a differnt story. First off I had the string spacing way off and so I have to make a new plate to tie everything into. Second when I measured for scale length for some stupid reason I measured to where the bridge ties into the plate and not where the individual "bridge" string adjustment is. And 3rd the tuners on the bottom didn't work like intended because the string doesn't slip all the way down the shaft, cause the string to just twist when I try to tune it

DandHcostoms

Reaction score
I managed to find another beautiful piece of flame maple at my trusty Menards today that has better figuring than the other one I bought. Total cost for this bad boy was $45 it's figured about the same the whole 8ft

another reason I've been slacking on this build was that I decided I needed to build a guitar chest of sorts and new desk so here that is:

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
^ Awwww what the hell! Lots of projects I see!!

Gotta show that one to the Wiff... maybe she'd like that instead of the Wall hangers I have!

"Honey... can I get a new "book case"?"

Thumbs up on the build!!

DandHcostoms

Reaction score
^ Awwww what the hell! Lots of projects I see!!

Gotta show that one to the Wiff... maybe she'd like that instead of the Wall hangers I have!

"Honey... can I get a new "book case"?"

Thumbs up on the build!!

welll its like a book case... only bigger
size comparison for you

Im hoping I can get most of those guitars finished up in the new couple weeks. Really a good thing i only build for myself people would have to wait a long time to get one from me hahah :scratch:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I love the double stacked guitar chest! I made a pretty meh guitar rack a few years back and I'm pretty confident I won't try that again. Huge headache trying to line it with foam and felt. Yours looks killer, though, and sturdy to boot. :yesway:

DandHcostoms

Reaction score
Dude, that's amazing \m/

Those builds look superb. That tele! :eek: Nails. What's she made of?

Thanks man! It's a 5 piece maple/ mahogany neck through with mahogany wings and a flame maple top and maple fretboard. I love the combo plus it's readily available around here for pretty cheap

I'm hijacking my own thread

DandHcostoms

Reaction score
Haven't posted on this in while. Had a set back that frustrated me enough to walk away from the project for awhile but its back to being close to finished.

Has issues with clear coating and had to end up sanding it all back down and had tore stain/ clear coat so now its sitting curing again. Hope fully I can finish it up this weekend.