Neck thru vs bolt on?

• Thread starter Brohoodofsteel75
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brohoodofsteel75

Reaction score
I hear so many different pros and cons of both like you get better action with a neck thru. If your neck gets messed up you could get another one. What's really better? I want extremely low action (kinda over dramatic) no fret buzz and a good tone.

Force

Jackson Addict
Reaction score
Neck type wont determine action, that will vary from guitar to guitar, however, neck condition will, also a decent set up will help.

I prefer bolt on, mostly for asthetics but also incase the unthinkable happens, I can pop a new neck on.

This bullshit about thru giving more sustain etc, is just that, bullshit. As long as the joint is tight with as little space between neck & body, it's all good.

It's like a car, smaller diameter wheels will improve acceleration slightly, larger give higher top speed but it's hardly noticeable.

If you want sustain, mod the fuck out of the axe........when in doubt, gain it out.

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
I agree with Force, don't listen to the hype.

A good bolt-on has as much sustain as, or even more so, than a neck-thru. Why? A bolt-on guitar (with a tight neck pocket) has direct wood-to-wood contact between the neck and the body. On a set neck and neck-thru, glue comes into play, and glue is a deterrent of vibration.

I prefer neck-thru guitars mostly for the feel of the heel. They just seem right to me.

Summary: a guitar's construction method shouldn't come in between you and the guitar you like!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
I prefer bolt-ons for price, looks, comfort and ease of repair.

It does depend on the individual guitar though, really.

straightshreddd

Dat Dood
Reaction score
I kinda dig both. Bolt-ons get a +1 for ease of repair though. A really well constructed neck-thru is cool, too, though.

asilayamazing

Reaction score
like both my jackson bolt on sounds btter than my set neck ltd viper. but my other guitar thats one whole piece thru n thru is pretty sweet too. but i always find myself going back to the bolt on even though it supposedly "isnt as good" as a set neck or neck thru. ALSO isnt set neck glued and neckthru one piece?

MJS

Reaction score
On a set neck and neck-thru, glue comes into play, and glue is a deterrent of vibration.

I wouldn't worry about glue too much, considering how many bodies are multiple pieces glued together. Then cover the entire surface with glue again if you want a different top wood. When that's all done, drown whatever wood is left with paint and call it a day. ;)

Not to mention, the neck that's getting bolted on to avoid using glue... is usually 3 - 5 strips of wood glued together, with some more glue to holding the fretboard on, which probably has a bunch of frets glued into it. Throw in some more glue if there's a scarf joint or headstock veneer. :D

Plus, a lot bolt-on necks out there have been shimmed, so the contact surface is greatly reduced... and no one seems to notice a difference in sound.

asilayamazing

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about glue too much, considering how many bodies are multiple pieces glued together. Then cover the entire surface with glue again if you want a different top wood. When that's all done, drown whatever wood is left with paint and call it a day. ;)

Not to mention, the neck that's getting bolted on to avoid using glue... is usually 3 - 5 strips of wood glued together, with some more glue to holding the fretboard on, which probably has a bunch of frets glued into it. Throw in some more glue if there's a scarf joint or headstock veneer. :D

Plus, a lot bolt-on necks out there have been shimmed, so the contact surface is greatly reduced... and no one seems to notice a difference in sound.
:lol::lol::lol:

JeffHenneman

Reaction score
From my prospective and experience, the bolt-on vs neck thru is usually unfair comparison and this is why. Most people's experience with bolt on is usually on a cheap guitar. Its these cheap guitars are not the best bulit or built of great quality wood. I think this is why bolt on guitars get such a bad rep.
I had a esp ltd f-250 that was bolt on and I so regret selling it. It had a great neck joint and the neck felt great. It had no problem with sustain.
I have yet to meet someone that said there quality Ibanez had bad sustain. Plus if you are useing EMGz with your bolt on, those pick ups tend to color your sound so you need not worry about the neck.
Just my two cents on the matter of sustain.
I personally prefer a neck thru guitar. The reason being is all the ones I have owned seem to have a much more stable neck. I do not have to do that much adjustment of the russ rod. All the bolt ons I have had seem to need alot of adjustment thru the year.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
I myself prefer a bolt on, but its all up to you man. if, god forbid, the neck gets fucked on o bolt on, buy another one. same situation, neckthrough, your fucked hard in the ass with no lube.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Coke or Pepsi? Same debate that boils down to personal preference.

The only real thing I've heard that's an advantage for a bolt on is that you can replace a neck, but let's be real how often do you get a non-repairable neck break? Or a neck break at all?

iRaiseTheDead

Ashes Of Rebirth
Reaction score
Bolt on neck - if something breaks or cracks you can replace

Neck-thru - if you break it, you've pretty much broken your guitar :/

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
I like bolt-ons because I can shim the neck if necessary. I'm a little more wary of lower end neck-thrus (admittedly they're not that common so it's not a big deal) because there's no salvaging the neck angle if it's wonky.

spaghettipomodoro

Reaction score
Depends on a guitar. Guitars with all access neck joins like Suhr moderns or Ibanez are really good bolt ons, though in my heart I prefer neck thru. It feels better in my hands and gives better access for me. I used to be more like NECK THRU OR DIE but I've realized that it's kind of stupid to think that way so just pick what feels more comfortable for you.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I like both styles, but neck breaking as a reason to chose bolt-on seems so ridiculous.
What in the world are people doing that would cause neck breakage?

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
I give props to the bolt-on. Most of everything I have is a bolt. I think that sustain difference is negligible. At least to the ear. There are tons a high end bolts as well. But action isn't related to bolt-on vs neck-through...

nausea_87

Reaction score
The best guitars I've heard so far have always been bolt ons.
Also, with a neck thru the sound mostly comes from the neck, it vibrates all the way down to the body and even the bridge is mounted on it. i dont think it contributes in a good way if you like to experiement with certain woods. also i think a one piece body should give better frequency, but I doubt if someone could hear the difference.

with a bolt on you kinda get the sounds from body and neck in a better relation.

I was never scared of breaking my guitar neck, but still, I always loved bolt ons.

There is absolutely no superior system. every guitar feels and sounds different. If you think you hear the differnce between neck thrus and bolt ons and you cannot decide then go for a set neck, its maybe the best of both worlds...

hope I could help.

Joelan

Ukulele Shredder
Reaction score
I like bolt-ons because I can shim the neck if necessary. I'm a little more wary of lower end neck-thrus (admittedly they're not that common so it's not a big deal) because there's no salvaging the neck angle if it's wonky.

This is how I feel too. I don't really consider the effect on the tone because there are so many other factors that you could easily negate the effects the neck joint would have. It all comes down to comfort/ease-of-repair/ease-of-setup for me.

That said I won't dismiss any guitar because of its neck joint type.

Status
Not open for further replies.