Neck thru vs bolt on?

• Thread starter Brohoodofsteel75
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fassaction

Reaction score
Damn...I feel like a sucker sometimes. Up until I started coming to this site, I was always under the impression that bolt on necks were "cheaper" Every guitar I have ever owned has always been a set/neck through design.....

asilayamazing

Reaction score
Damn...I feel like a sucker sometimes. Up until I started coming to this site, I was always under the impression that bolt on necks were "cheaper" Every guitar I have ever owned has always been a set/neck through design.....
i dont descriminate. jus some bolts arent as easy to go higher or comfy down there

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
I much much prefer the sound of a bolt on. They are snappier in the attack and have more articulation. Great for rhythym chugging. Neckthroughs to me have a more liquid fluid like response to the attack. But i prefer the look and feel of a neckthrough. But i now play set necks as they are sorta in between. There really is no better or worse just different. As for the action there is no difference. You can get them bot low equally. In fact a bolt on has the ability to shim the neck at different angles where a neckthrough is fixed. Action challenges are more of a bridge and neck angle thing. I would get to a store and play examples of both and see what works for you.

Zeus1907

Reaction score
Depends on a guitar. Guitars with all access neck joins like Suhr moderns or Ibanez are really good bolt ons, though in my heart I prefer neck thru. It feels better in my hands and gives better access for me. I used to be more like NECK THRU OR DIE but I've realized that it's kind of stupid to think that way so just pick what feels more comfortable for you.

I prefer bolt on necks. Just my personal preference. And I agree, some bolt on mecks have better access than others. Ibanez's have great access, the Rusty Cooley signatures have amazing access.

You

þ
Reaction score
Upon reading the title of the thread, I expected vast disagreements and mindless arguing that is common upon the internet. I see that my expectations have been wrong.

The majority of the guitars that I possess are bolt on, for as I do not bear the fundings to acquire a neck through. I will say, however, that my bolt on guitars play splendidly, though I would be quite interested in a neck through guitar as well.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Necrobump :)

Alot of brands are doing bolt-ons correctly today.

If you're at the semi-custom or custom level the quality difference between neck joints is a non-issue.

Pick bolt-on and save some money.

Casper777

Slow Player
Reaction score
As long as the neck heel is done correctly, I would say bolt on...

And nothing will replace the snap and attack of a bolt on construction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts