Need help choosing audio interface (my 1st)

• Thread starter stennukas29
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stennukas29

Reaction score
Hey guys. I recently had a thread where I wanted to get advice for portable recording and jamming. in conclusion I decided to buy a audio interface and some kind of software to get the sounds I want and record them. My main interest is in Focusrite Sapphire series but I'm a newbie in this area and need some advice. I've checked 3 models: Solo, 2i2 and 2i4. What's the main differences between them except the obvious 2 input on bigger ones? I'm not going to record multiple stuff simultaneously, I think :D so 2 inputs doesn't matter for me. I'm leaning towards Solo cause its so compact. Are there any drawbacks on Solo witch aren't in its bigger brothers? Also,y ou can always suggest me some different interfaces.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I don't know about the Solo, but depending on what you're using it for, the 2i2 gets a lot of complaints on this forum for not having the pad switch that the 2i4 has- so there's more risk of clipping if you're going to use it directly with hot pickups.

bnzboy

Asian Dying
Reaction score
I don't know about the Solo, but depending on what you're using it for, the 2i2 gets a lot of complaints on this forum for not having the pad switch that the 2i4 has- so there's more risk of clipping if you're going to use it directly with hot pickups.

2i2 is also what I am using and it is awesome. It was my first personal recording interface as well. Gets the job done.

necropsy

Reaction score
I love presonus
Great interface easy to use no bugs or issues

Great design

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Dunno about the Solo, but the 2i2 is your standard 1-channel interface. The 2i4 is better not only because it has 2 channels, but also has a pad so you don't clip the input of the interface. I can see the 2i4 being superior for the pad alone, but if you plan on ever recording guitar amps and using two mics at once, it could be a good interface in the long run.

So, honestly, get the 2i4 IMO. It'll be a better investment in the long-run.

ZachK

Ronda Rousey Fanboy
Reaction score
Scarlett 2i2 is a great interface to grab.

If you're willing to spend some cash then grab a UAD Apollo Twin or Apogee Duet

Noxon

Is a Lurker
Reaction score
Another vote for the 2i4. I love mine. The pad switches are nice and its built like a tank. If you buy one new, it should come with Ableton Live 9 Lite to get you started.

jase

Reaction score
Do you need SPDIF? A lot of digital gear have this output and the lowest model in the range that has SPDIF I/O is the 6i6.

I personally don't like to have to adjust the interface's input level every time I record, so I record with SPDIF and nothing gets clipped going into the interface. I reserve the master line output level on my Kemper for live use, and the SPDIF level permanently set to slightly lower than unity. If you are not familiar with SPDIF, basically it is a digital signal that bypasses the source's digital>analog and the interface's analog>digital converters, and one cable carries a stereo signal. To me it sounds cleaner and more detailed.

SPDIF is not necessary but you can have a look into it to see if it is for you. Otherwise, those you have mentioned are great choices!

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
I've used the 2i2 and the Solo.

The 2i2 clips with recording "high output" pickups like EMGs etc.

The Solo is legit, but limited on the recording inputs and playback outputs. Honestly if you only need one guitar input and one mic input for now, you'll be fine with the Focusrite Solo.

If you need more inputs and outputs yeah spring for the 2i4. Also keep in mind it has MIDI which can be useful while the Solo does not.

aqa

Reaction score
I had a solo, great unit and very useful to record with one mic, direct input and good earphones,

Want something higher? go to the 2i4 and skip the 2i2

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I had the 2i2 and it would clip with any guitar I used, so I took it back and got the 2i4 instead. I've had no issues since. 2i4 gets my vote.

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
I have the 2i2. Yes, works good. Yes, it does clip easily. Get the 2i4 and download/try Reaper and start making recordings. Get an Audix i5 mic for your amp, if you don't want to use plug ins for your guitar sounds. Even doing simple things like recording your effects pedals in different orders, putting them in the loop, or mic placements will help tell you how things really work. For instance, I just bought the Empress Heavy. Recorded it out in front, then again playing the same stuff in the fx loop. Easy way to A/B things.

Kryss

Your new god!
Reaction score
ive had a presonus firepod for 7 or 8 years. it's really good. I did have to replace a power supply though in that time, I had one of those external power supplies burn up. luckily it was only $30 to order another one to make sure that was all it was. I use mine with a mac laptop. it actually works with Linux as well which I always thought was really cool with presonus. I have had nothing but good experiences with their stuff.