Need help with good Brutal Death Metal tone w/Mesa Mini Recto.

• Thread starter aBagel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Boris_VTR

Reaction score
So guys,

I’m trying to get a similar tone to what Suffocation gets live. Especially their Obscene Extreme show that took place in 2018. It’s on YouTube. Right now, my rig consists of:

A Jackson Warrior w/Emg 81/60 tuned to C#
A Mesa Mini Rec
An Ibanez OD808

Any input is appreciated.
I really dont get how they get good in your face sound with settings that should just not work :) For example: on Peavey 6505+ they have gain on max, low on 9 (almost max), mids on 3. It should be mushy mess :9 But it's not :)

Settings at 4:45 (I apparently dont know how to embed timestamped youtube video),

Last edited:

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
Lonestar is a quality cab but I never loved Shadows for br00ts, they have a little of that 80's roar for me.

Shouldnt be hard to get a good br00tal tone, be patient, crank it a bit to operating volume (not apartment whisper) set gain where it gets a little slushy on the palm mutes. Then mess around with the controls, they are interactive with each other and can take a while (on my Tremoverb I unexpectedly run Treble super low like 8:30 for the midrange sound I like).

I saw Suffocation live years back and they had a great sound guy (mention it because mix can be a big part of what you hear in any recording/live of them). Seats were above/behind the sound guy and we had fun watching him work. He instantly cleared the boom out of the room (which had extra high ceilings) and he configured the kick for perfect gut punch. I thought they were dialed in better than Fear Factory who played after them.

Shask

Reaction score
Yeah, I would get an EQ pedal and put it in the loop. Rectos can sound much better with a little more scooping. I was doing this with my Triple and Boss GE-7 the other day. Just a little cut at 400hz and 800hz and it is like a different amp.

You can get a cheap EQ pedal for around $30. Denelectro, Behringer, Donner, Caline, etc....

EDIT: Looking at the video, the 5150 on the left appears to have a Tubescreamer and Boss GE-7 sitting on top of it.... so, they are probably doing some more scooping for that tone.
After watching the gear video above here, I think this is a NS-2, not a GE-7. It seems like the tone is mostly a TS OD into the 5152.

MSS

Reaction score
EQ helps as mentioned. The Mark 5 eq in the loop sounds pretty awesome IMO.

KailM

Reaction score
I really dont get how they get good in your face sound with settings that should just not work :) For example: on Peavey 6505+ they have gain on max, low on 9 (almost max), mids on 3. It should be mushy mess :9 But it's not :)

Settings at 4:45 (I apparently dont know how to embed timestamped youtube video),

Could be that the 6505+ in particular has a boatload of mids— even with the mids at 3; though I’ve always found the sweetspot to be a bit higher. Lows at 9 is pretty damn high though— maybe they turn the resonance down to compensate. Gain almost dimed though; that’s a headscratcher.

Boris_VTR

Reaction score
Could be that the 6505+ in particular has a boatload of mids— even with the mids at 3; though I’ve always found the sweetspot to be a bit higher. Lows at 9 is pretty damn high though— maybe they turn the resonance down to compensate. Gain almost dimed though; that’s a headscratcher.
If I see correctly they have resonance high also....around 8 :D

Shask

Reaction score
This is gettin’ rly confusing. Anyways, I found a GE7 for practically nothing in new condition. I’ll pick that up and do some scooping.
They are a great investment. I bought a used one with my first job, and I still have it almost 30 years later. Longest piece of gear I own. They are always useful in different situations.

aBagel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Guys, the guy sold it to someone else. Anyways, I got an MXR 6 Band and I really like how it responded. Anyways, how do I set it up? And do i put it on the fx loop, before or after the OD808 which is in front of the amp?

aBagel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
These are my settings guys. I managed to scoop it up but it still isn’t really like that tone from the video. Any idea on settings?

kylendm

Electrical Mercenary
Reaction score
Dont be afraid to take the knobs to the extreme. The tone your talking about is very scooped so I'd up the treble and bass a bit more and maybe take the mids back even more. I really think you'd benefit from a speaker swap. Maybe get a V30 or K100; something more modern sounding. Also I like to max out the tone on my overdrive sometimes to get some more bite.

Boris_VTR

Reaction score
I still don't see how can this particular Suffocation gig be that scooped. They have mids on around 4 which is nice amount of mids on 6505+ head. And they just boost their sound which usually ads more mids. I can see that gain and bass is maxed.

Suffocation1.jpg Suffocation2.jpg

efiltsohg

Reaction score
These are my settings guys. I managed to scoop it up but it still isn’t really like that tone from the video. Any idea on settings?

well I mean you're using a totally different amp through probably a totally different cab

try experimenting and seeing how the tone changes