Need Mesa 2 Channel Blackface Triple Rec Info

• Thread starter areyna21
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

areyna21

Reaction score
Have an opportunity to pick up a blackface triple rec 2 channel. I have owned a single v1, dual, and triple 3 channel before. What can you guys tell me about this version? I'm in the middle of researching right now but you guys seem to know a lot about these different models. The serial number is in the 1200's.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

smucarolina

King of the Chatroom
Reaction score
Have an opportunity to pick up a blackface triple rec 2 channel. I have owned a single v1, dual, and triple 3 channel before. What can you guys tell me about this version? I'm in the middle of researching right now but you guys seem to know a lot about these different models. The serial number is in the 1200's.

more than likely made in the late 90s. not sure if early 2 channel triple used the infamous Mark III transformers I believe like the early sought after 2 channel duals did (rev C-F).

but they are great amps. I used to own a blackface 2 channel myself. however the chassis was still black, not chrome. more than likely is a Rev G. Earliest version of 2 channel triples was Rev F (serial # near the 600s I think).

The Boogie Board • View topic - history of the rectifier revisions?

2-Channel Dual Rectifier 1202/270; 1201/137

Infused1

Reaction score
I had one back in the day. Typical mesa tough, just re-tube and fuse typically and your good to go. They sound great. If it is the Chrome Lower with the black face, very highly sought after.

col

blah.
Reaction score
I have a rackmount blackface with black knobs, sounds great. As said most likely a rev G with that serial.

areyna21

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Guy wants to trade me my mark iv combo rev-A for his rec. I really like my mark but want to put it in a headshell. I'll have to think hard about this one.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Here is Bulb's revF in the 1800's (serial#).
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-equipment/263804-nad-early-90s-dual-recto-rev-f.html

Yeah there really is some overlap between the various revs and the common differences that denote them.
For example mine is in the low 6000's (definitely a G) but still has the attached chord.
It has the large logo but the outputs are 8-16, 8-16, 4, 4, which doesn't seem to quite match up with the info from that boogie-archives page.

edit; Actually it does match up with what he says in the "transitional anomalies" section.
At 544X it was still attached-chord, small logo, and outputs of 8-16, 8-16, 4, 4.
And now then I can add that by mine at 620X it was still that but with the larger (and better looking) mesa logo.

I'd say this one you're looking at is an F. I'd get it if it's all still working fine. I'm biased though, liking the Marks, loving the rectos.

One more thing maybe partly responsible for the tonal variations between E, F, and even G compared to later versions; str420, vs 430, vs 440 tubes.
The 430 from what I've read is more like their current 5881 tubes instead of the current 440 6L6, which explains the "richer midrange" of the older versions.

Shask

Reaction score
I have a blackface Triple. It is much later than yours because mine is near #14,000. I remember I determined mine to be made in 1999, but I forget how I figured it out, lol.

I love that damn amp! It is one of the best Rectos I have heard. I have played probably 20 Rectos over the years, and only about 3 of them stand out as having an amazing clear sound with amazing depth. This amp is one of them, and one of the reasons why it is the only tube amp I still own (after getting rid of 5-6 of them). Many Rectos kind of have that muddy/fizzy thing going on, but certain ones just sound deep and clear instead.