NeKo Guitars Hydra

• Thread starter engage757
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Don't have a dog in the fight, but don't get the hatin' going on in here. So the guitar has some issues that aren't done prefectly (nut, frets, etc). It's a $700 guitar. Isn't that what you'd expect? It at least is more attractive than I'd expect from a guitar at this price point. I agreed that it remains to be seen whether it does compare favorably build-wise to other guitars at the price point, but criticizing it now seems premature because I don't think anyone's done that.

Disclaimer: I wouldn't buy one anyway, but I like either total beater guitars that are way cheaper or much more expensive guitars that I can spec out. But it's cool to see more 7 strings either way.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RMG

Reaction score
Don't have a dog in the fight, but don't get the hatin' going on in here. So the guitar has some issues that aren't done prefectly (nut, frets, etc). It's a $700 guitar. Isn't that what you'd expect? It at least is more attractive than I'd expect from a guitar at this price point. I agreed that it remains to be seen whether it does compare favorably build-wise to other guitars at the price point, but criticizing it now seems premature because I don't think anyone's done that.

Disclaimer: I wouldn't buy one anyway, but I like either total beater guitars that are way cheaper or much more expensive guitars that I can spec out. But it's cool to see more 7 strings either way.

Constructive criticism is fine. We need it. We are not building a boutique guitar here and you've got viks, bowes and others for that, fantastic guitars btw. We are also not going into that "blacklist" whatever that is. When the guitars are done I will gladly post some close up pic in FB.

To be clear, the 'issues' as being fixed as we speak, we haven't released them yet, not until final inspection. We posted too early thats the problem.

BTW I found a pic of our OLD fretwork. Will redo it this week:wavey:

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

09kitty23

Reaction score
270085_508131302554656_1255409008_n.jpg

here is what was done yesterday for those who were asking the build stages.. really hard to get someone to take pictures since everyone was busy doing something. We will use ebony wood for the covers and those were already done with CNC

capoeiraesp

Reaction score
IMG_1146.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'm glad this is your 'old' fretwork. How the hell do you not put a fret in straight?

Kidneythief

Reaction score
Hate me but I like the headstock. And that little sign for the company looks nice too.

Other then that hopefully the guys will be heading into the right direction and provide affordable, but still good quality 7s guitars.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Please take a moment and read the site rules before posting more.

Also update your signature to indicate you are affiliated with Neko Guitars.

Thanks

Found it! and i'll try to answer every questions here

Iam Ray and I'm from the Philippines, Kit, the Founder of Neko is an American, he is in Missouri, we are partners and we have a workshop in China. Neko guitars are made there under my watch. My native language isn't english so sometimes I sounded like engrish, apologies my friends.

Neko Guitars is a small company. Website in progress will launch soon.

Hydra Specs are : Spalted maple top, Elm wood back. Neck tru Construction Ebony+maple combo. Ebony Fingerboard. Graphtec tusq. Locking tuners, bridge pickups are made in Korea (Same plant as Wilkinson/Jinho). 24 frets, 25.5 " scale, a bit chunky C neck. Oil finish. Construction is Solid and Rigid and if ever one of you guys get lost in our side of the world, I'll be glad to let you try them. Im in Shanghai btw.

We are refinishing Hydra, one model has been stripped and now in Aquamarine (see FB), will also install better frets and have already recessed the backplate, also changed to rosewood. We felt that 700$ is a good startup price since we are...........just starting. It will be a different story once we get better parts though. we have sold 6 out of 7, not much but learned a lot. Fidel already got his guitar, he made a thread and a demo you can send him a PM.

I agree, the bridge pickup need to step back a bit and will be corrected in our next build. But ask Fidel he liked it for his lead work.:hbang:

Neko is a Japanese Cat, Kit/Kitty is a Cat but his real name is Bryan:nuts:

any more questions just shoot me a PM. :wavey: