Neural Amp Modeler (NAM), not Neural DSP

• Thread starter Phobos//Deimos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bumping this because it should be getting more attention. I've only been using this for a few weeks and I'm blown away by how good it is...for free.

I've collected around 120 amp captures. Some are great, others so-so, others are tones I'd never use. But again...all free. Lots of high gain chuggy chugs. Even individual pedals.

Check all the captures here:

https://tonehunt.org/

Explore over 5,363 models, including 4,202 amps, and 834 pedals.​

Phobos//Deimos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Good call, cause it’s quite amazing! What are some of your favorite profiles that you’ve found?

I’ve found that I am particular to the Mark IV captures. And there’s a few 5150-type that I really like.

Edit: and holy crap ToneHunt has a whole lot of free IRs you won’t find anywhere else.

Last edited:

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Good call, cause it’s quite amazing! What are some of your favorite profiles that you’ve found?

I’ve found that I am particular to the Mark IV captures. And there’s a few 5150-type that I really like.

Edit: and holy crap ToneHunt has a whole lot of free IRs you won’t find anywhere else.

So I've downloaded just about all the high gain captures, and some pedals, but have only had enough time to skim through them. I have been avoiding the full rig captures because the few I've tried didn't do it for me. I'd much rather use my own boosts/IRs.

I load the VST in Cantabile with NadIR for the cabs and cycle through the amp captures (there's an open feature request to add the ability to scroll thru captures on the plugin without opening Windows Explorer -- looking forward to that).

Anyway, when I find one I like, I save it as a Cantabile "song" and move on. The ones I've saved so far:

EVH Lunchbox - not sure which exact capture, there are a few, but it's GREAT.
PRS MT15
Rockmaster Preamp
SLO30 (Emil Rohbe capture)
SLO100 50W Clone
Splawn Pro Rod
Uberschall
Peavey XXX KT77 OD808
Yamaha T50 (with choke mod)

I know there are multiple captures of some of those but I'd have to open each one to get the exact details (which I can do if you're curious about any of them).

Don't know why, but the standalone app crashes on my Win 10 PC.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Phobos//Deimos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hadn’t seen the lunchbox one but will snag it and give it a try. And I’ve heard multiple people talk about the XXX KT77 profile (I think from Helga) so I’ll have to try that one too.

I also like one where they blended an Orange Rockerverb and a 5150.

And yeah the full rigs aren’t my cup of tea either. I guess I like the sound of my go to IRs. As for performance, I’m on Mac with 8GB ram and I can’t have more than a couple instances open or it just lags like crazy. I think the developer mentioned that the reason is his algorithm leans more for quality of capture, whereas Tonex leans more for tech performance. But that quality is also why it sounds so damn good, ha!

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I've downloaded just about all the high gain captures, and some pedals, but have only had enough time to skim through them. I have been avoiding the full rig captures because the few I've tried didn't do it for me. I'd much rather use my own boosts/IRs.

I load the VST in Cantabile with NadIR for the cabs and cycle through the amp captures (there's an open feature request to add the ability to scroll thru captures on the plugin without opening Windows Explorer -- looking forward to that).

Anyway, when I find one I like, I save it as a Cantabile "song" and move on. The ones I've saved so far:

EVH Lunchbox - not sure which exact capture, there are a few, but it's GREAT.
PRS MT15
Rockmaster Preamp
SLO30 (Emil Rohbe capture)
SLO100 50W Clone
Splawn Pro Rod
Uberschall
Peavey XXX KT77 OD808
Yamaha T50 (with choke mod)

I know there are multiple captures of some of those but I'd have to open each one to get the exact details (which I can do if you're curious about any of them).

Don't know why, but the standalone app crashes on my Win 10 PC.
Have you tried the Wizard modern classic II?

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Have you tried the Wizard modern classic II?

I have, and maybe I didn't have it paired with the best IR, but I didn't love it. I kind of went "meh" and moved on to the next model. I'll have to give it another go.

As of now, this setup is making it hard for me to put my guitar down:

NAM with Fulltone OCD boost -> NAM with "PRS MT15 no boost" -> NADIR with York Audio Mesa OS 412 on one side and an Engl V30 cab on the other (the Engl cab might be a Glenn Fricker IR).

I'm just jamming in my basement, not putting this in a mix or anything, but it's freaking awesome.

I'm also digging two amps: one instance of NAM with the SLO 50W Clone, another instance with the Peavey XXX KT88, both into NADIR and two blended cabs.

JohnnyG

Reaction score
If you wanna capture your own rig and you don't like the use of python script, sombody named
Martin Moergenroet
did a windows release of the script.
In case you want to check out the new local NAM trainer 0.6.0 with the cab optimization on Windows and did not want to go thru any installation hassle yet, and command lines are not for you, then this might be it...
Right now, it does only ONE thing: Running the NAM training app and keep away all console windows from you (it does show the output of the processes in the GUI, though)...
But it does it really well - and it also takes away ALL installation hassle. Fully portable. It takes care of downloading all requirements and installing them into one subdirectory right in place, that contains the whole portable python system. No changes to the system, you can even copy the executable and the directory to another location on your computer or an offline computer to run it there.
Usage; Unzip the exe-file to a directory of your liking (e.g. desktop) and run it. It has just ONE button to bring you right into the original NAM training app.
That's it.
This is an early pre-release of a more comprehensive tool for managing neural amp models, there is much more to come. This is just a kind of proof-of-concept alpha build. But it works really well, based on my NAM-Runner batch script, now capsuled in Lazarus/Pascal native windows program.
Have fun.

Ip uploaded it in we transfer

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
@Turd Ferguson

What are you digging these days for NAM? I have my guitar put together finally and I'm ready to buy reaper and really dig into learning how to make guitar noises to the point where I can woodshed and practice. Bogren AmpKnob seems like more my speed but NAM just seems too good for free

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
@Turd Ferguson

What are you digging these days for NAM? I have my guitar put together finally and I'm ready to buy reaper and really dig into learning how to make guitar noises to the point where I can woodshed and practice. Bogren AmpKnob seems like more my speed but NAM just seems too good for free

buy Reaper? Gotta stop you right there.

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@Turd Ferguson

I use Cantabile lite (free) for a VST chainer/host. I set up "presets" with a tuner, instance of NAM for a boost pedal (or whichever VST boost/OD), 2nd instance of NAM for the amp, sometimes FX, then IRs (I like NADIR to blend 2 cabs).

My favorite profile so far is this IIC+

https://tonehunt.org/dogusaltin/27d6deb7-4c40-4b64-af1f-681855e742ae

Although I'm not trying to get Metallica tones as you might guess by the amp.

I see now the same user posted a second pack of this amp:

https://tonehunt.org/dogusaltin/04f6ab0b-0a1b-4570-a0ff-653e6c52809b

I also really like this EVH lunchbox, which also has 2 packs now:

https://tonehunt.org/Peter_Ny/ce196fad-8872-48f3-82c8-589cabfbbeed

And many others. Too many to list. Lots of the usual go-to amps sound really good: 5150s, Rectos, 5153s, etc. I was surprised by the Peavey XXX profiles, that thing kicks ass IMO.

This PRS MT15 was my favorite until I found the IIC+

https://tonehunt.org/FabDef/38b94dac-a18b-4a75-812b-51a1c4f6eca6

Here's my IIC+ "preset" in Cantabile. The OCD and Ghoul OD are both NAM profiles. Yes there are 2 ODs and it absolutely kills.

IIC.JPG

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Nah, the best thing about Reaper is that you don't have to buy it.

I understand now it just has a nag screen like winRAR when the trial runs out

@Turd Ferguson I'll check those out, saw a guy on youtube say a capture of a diezel herbert pedal, of all things, was pretty good too

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I understand now it just has a nag screen like winRAR when the trial runs out

@Turd Ferguson I'll check those out, saw a guy on youtube say a capture of a diezel herbert pedal, of all things, was pretty good too
But the trial never runs out. It's an honor system thing and is totally worth $60 but it takes a long time to log 60 days in time if you count actual 24 hours as a day. lol.

Phobos//Deimos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

msky

Reaction score
I'm enjoying it. Did anyone figure out how to run 2 instances of the standalone app, like one for a pedal and one for the amp? I know I can use a DAW for that, but was wondering if there was a way without it

JohnnyG

Reaction score
You could use a Vst host like Cantabile.
Maybe it's possible to make some midi tricks to use a midi pedalboard....

Latest posts